The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Barts & The London (QMUL) Medicine - ask a student

Hi! My name is Will and I have completed three years as an undergraduate medical student at QMUL's medical school, Barts & The London. Last year I took a break from Medicine as I studied for an intercalated BSc in Global Public Health at QMUL. In August this year, I began my fourth year of Medicine and my fifth year at Barts & The London!

This thread is your opportunity to ask a current Barts student (me) about the undergraduate or postgraduate Medicine, Dentistry or allied health courses at QMUL. Feel free to ask me about any aspect of the Medicine course including the curriculum, teaching methods and locations, clinical teaching or extra-curricular activities like sports teams and academic societies. I can also give you the latest on either of our medical school campuses including accommodation and facilities.

Barts love,
Will
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How does it feel to have Queen Mary as your username?
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by RollerBall
How does it feel to have Queen Mary as your username?

Hi! Congratulations on being the first poster in this thread!

I assume that you're alluding to the friendly rivalry that exists between Barts and QMUL. Whilst a QMUL flag is enough to enrage me at certain times in the sporting calendar, I am proud to consider myself a student of both Barts and QMUL.

Barts (& QMUL) love,
Will
Hey, couple questions, how do you find the continuous assessments? What do you think about floyer versus dawson for first year accommodation? And what's the area like that Barts is in?

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OreoCookie181
Hey, couple questions, how do you find the continuous assessments? What do you think about floyer versus dawson for first year accommodation? And what's the area like that Barts is in?

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!

With regards to continuous assessment, I assume that you are referring to having 3 'in course assessments' (ICAs) per year with an 'end of year' exam at the end of the year. Personally, I consider this structure pretty essential. Firstly, the feedback from each ICA allows you to gain feedback on areas of strength and weakness that you can work on for the end of year exams (which are actually important). They also give you lots of practice in a type of exam that many students (especially school-leavers) are very new to. I wouldn't consider the three ICAs to be particularly stressful either - it is not essential that you pass every ICA.

My own personal bias is towards Dawson but that is just because it's where I stayed in my first year! Essentially, you won't be disappointed wherever you stay - everyone from Floyer prefers Floyer and everyone from Dawson prefers Dawson.

Whilst the quality of rooms, toilets and kitchens are similar, each accommodation has its strengths and weakness. I'll briefly list some for you:

- Dawson: Located in Barbican, Central London; new kitchens in some of the floors; on the same campus as ground breaking research at Wolfson and William Harvey Institutes.

- Floyer: Located in Whitechapel, East London; on the same campus as all lectures; closer to QMUL's main campus at Mile End, on the same campus as ground breaking research at the Blizard Institute.

The answer to your final question depends on what you mean by 'the area that Barts is in'. Barts is essentially spread across 3 campuses: 'The London' campus which is located on the site of the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel; Barts campus which is located on the site of Barts Hospital in Smithfields in Central London; and the Charterhouse Square campus which is located in Barbican, a few minutes walk from Barts hospital.

The Royal London site in Whitechapel is a busy, multicultural area with lots of development. It is very lively and vibrant and is close to lots of the great attractions East London offers. 'Trendy' is what people say now I think.

The Barts and Charterhouse Square campuses are both in Central London and are therefore situated in up-market, stylish areas. It is busy during the week but empty at the weekends.

I hope this answers your questions!

Barts Love,
Will
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi!

With regards to continuous assessment, I assume that you are referring to having 3 'in course assessments' (ICAs) per year with an 'end of year' exam at the end of the year. Personally, I consider this structure pretty essential. Firstly, the feedback from each ICA allows you to gain feedback on areas of strength and weakness that you can work on for the end of year exams (which are actually important). They also give you lots of practice in a type of exam that many students (especially school-leavers) are very new to. I wouldn't consider the three ICAs to be particularly stressful either - it is not essential that you pass every ICA.

My own personal bias is towards Dawson but that is just because it's where I stayed in my first year! Essentially, you won't be disappointed wherever you stay - everyone from Floyer prefers Floyer and everyone from Dawson prefers Dawson.

Whilst the quality of rooms, toilets and kitchens are similar, each accommodation has its strengths and weakness. I'll briefly list some for you:

- Dawson: Located in Barbican, Central London; new kitchens in some of the floors; on the same campus as ground breaking research at Wolfson and William Harvey Institutes.

- Floyer: Located in Whitechapel, East London; on the same campus as all lectures; closer to QMUL's main campus at Mile End, on the same campus as ground breaking research at the Blizard Institute.

The answer to your final question depends on what you mean by 'the area that Barts is in'. Barts is essentially spread across 3 campuses: 'The London' campus which is located on the site of the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel; Barts campus which is located on the site of Barts Hospital in Smithfields in Central London; and the Charterhouse Square campus which is located in Barbican, a few minutes walk from Barts hospital.

The Royal London site in Whitechapel is a busy, multicultural area with lots of development. It is very lively and vibrant and is close to lots of the great attractions East London offers. 'Trendy' is what people say now I think.

The Barts and Charterhouse Square campuses are both in Central London and are therefore situated in up-market, stylish areas. It is busy during the week but empty at the weekends.

I hope this answers your questions!

Barts Love,
Will

Thank you so much for the detailed answer! Makes me look forward to Barts next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is the course taught and would you say you are satisfied with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
How is the course taught and would you say you are satisfied with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, good question!

The MBBS course here is taught in a 'spiral curriculum' meaning that the same broad topics are taught every year whilst being built upon each time. So in the first year, there is a 'fundamentals of medicine' unit, a 'cardiorespiratory-metabolism-locomotor' unit and a 'human development-brain & behaviour' unit. The same topics are taught in the second year with the addition of a cancer unit. In third year and beyond, the units are more specific to practicing clinical medicine but the principle of a spiral curriculum remains. As well as this, there are various times throughout the course devoted to student selected component (SSC).

Each unit in the first two years generally consists of lectures, PBL, anatomy practicals, physiological practicals and clinical skills. SSC can be varied and self organised but includes the opportunity to do dissection (which is amazing). There are GP and hospital placements continuously throughout these years.

In third year and beyond, there are similar teaching methods but the majority of time is spent on 'firms' or placements in and outside of London.

To answer your question regarding satisfaction of my course, I would say overall, yes! Whilst every (honest) medical student should be able to criticise their medical school to some extent, I believe that Barts & The London produces competent, empathetic and skilled doctors that are sought after in the UK and abroad. There are also fantastic academic and social opportunities at Barts and I am enjoying my time here.

I hope this answers your question,
Barts love,
Will
Reply 8
Hi,

Thanks for your offer of help :smile:

From everyone I've talked to, I've heard lots of positive things about Barts but is there anything in particular that you don't like?

Also, what would you say the workload is like? And how do you juggle your involvement in clubs and societies with your workload?

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I have a couple quick questions, if someone could please help answer for me, thanks.

Is it possible to take a gap year after the 1st and/or 2nd year of university? How hard is it to be allowed to take one? I've heard you can take years off if your sick. For a student who wants to take a year off between years so that he can work and save up money to pay for the tuition fees, is that a good enough reason (if gap years are allowed that is)? In case you know their specific policies, I'm hoping to get into either Qmul or Kcl god willing.

Thanks!
Original post by 7me7
Hi,

Thanks for your offer of help :smile:

From everyone I've talked to, I've heard lots of positive things about Barts but is there anything in particular that you don't like?

Also, what would you say the workload is like? And how do you juggle your involvement in clubs and societies with your workload?

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

More good questions!

There isn't an aspect of the course or the University that I actively dislike. However, as I stated before, medical students are encouraged to give regular feedback regarding their teaching. Every student at every university will have individual likes and dislikes but that is the same everywhere.

I think Barts is individual in that it has a variety of teaching styles that accommodate those who prefer traditional lecture-styled teaching and those who prefer interactive or clinically-based teaching. That may be why the student satisfaction at Barts is so high.

As for your second question, Barts is extremely social! I am a member of a sports club and have a job (which I am doing right now) and I don't find the balance difficult to maintain. Obviously, medical school is challenging academically and finding the best way to study takes a while but if you're good enough to get in, you'll be good enough to pass your exams without busting a gut!

I hope this helps.

Barts Love,
Will
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bakedbeans247
Hi, I have a couple quick questions, if someone could please help answer for me, thanks.

Is it possible to take a gap year after the 1st and/or 2nd year of university? How hard is it to be allowed to take one? I've heard you can take years off if your sick. For a student who wants to take a year off between years so that he can work and save up money to pay for the tuition fees, is that a good enough reason (if gap years are allowed that is)? In case you know their specific policies, I'm hoping to get into either Qmul or Kcl god willing.

Thanks!

Hi, thanks for getting in touch!

Whilst I know students who are taking a year out, I am unsure of the circumstances that allowed them to do this. I recommend you contact the medical school as this decision would be made on a case by case basis.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Barts love,
Will
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey, I've got another question 😂 similarish question to before but do you find that it's better to work for the university than external companies because it's easier to manage the workload? Or do you know people who manage with weekend jobs?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Will,

You said you're a second year student so I'm guessing you've moved out of the student halls?
Can you tell me a bit about where you live now (is it a flat shared with friends, a house.. and how close it is to Barts etc).

My other question is: do you get to choose whether your placement will be inside or outside of London? and do students get grouped together in placements?
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi, thanks for getting in touch!

Whilst I know students who are taking a year out, I am unsure of the circumstances that allowed them to do this. I recommend you contact the medical school as this decision would be made on a case by case basis.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Barts love,
Will

Thanks for responding!

Ah sorry i should have mentioned, I'm not looking to study Medicine, but biology or compsci. Sorry i asked in this thread, but it's just that i wanted to get an answer from someone from qmul. Know if it's easier for someone studying somehting less intense like Bio/compsci? :smile: Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by OreoCookie181
Hey, I've got another question 😂 similarish question to before but do you find that it's better to work for the university than external companies because it's easier to manage the workload? Or do you know people who manage with weekend jobs?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, more good questions. Keep them coming!

I guess I'm lucky in that I work for QMUL as they are very flexible (my bosses are probably reading this 😉). However, there are plenty of student jobs in London, especially with catering companies and bars etc. Lots of my friends have other jobs and it's perfectly manageable, especially in the first few years. In fact, it's nice to have something else to occupy your mind.

As a medical student, there may also be paid work available in research roles. For example, I've been doing some data input for a gastroenterology study recently.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by bakedbeans247
Thanks for responding!

Ah sorry i should have mentioned, I'm not looking to study Medicine, but biology or compsci. Sorry i asked in this thread, but it's just that i wanted to get an answer from someone from qmul. Know if it's easier for someone studying somehting less intense like Bio/compsci? :smile: Thanks.

Hi,

I'm afraid my expertise extends only to medical matters. I recommend you address another thread where someone else may be able to help you.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by retrobaht
Hi Will,

You said you're a second year student so I'm guessing you've moved out of the student halls?
Can you tell me a bit about where you live now (is it a flat shared with friends, a house.. and how close it is to Barts etc).

My other question is: do you get to choose whether your placement will be inside or outside of London? and do students get grouped together in placements?

Hi, thanks for the question!

I am actually not a good example as I now live in a flat with my girlfriend who is not a student. I live about 20 minutes cycle from Whitechapel in the wonderful Borough of Hackney. Normally people live with their friends in second year in groups of about 4. Most of my friends live in and around Whitechapel and Mile End.

There is a degree of choice in firms (placements) via a questionnaire that is sent out to us but normally people are allocated mainly London placements with the occasional 'out-firm' (outside of London). Everyone is guaranteed a firm at the Royal London Hospital at some point. For my firms, I made a choice of in-firms and out-firms because I like the idea of busy London hospitals mixed with more rural hospitals.

Students are generally in groups for their hospital placements. The size of the group varies depending on which hospital you are at. However, I understand that there are some primary care placements that are solo.

Barts Love,
Will
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi there, I'm really concerned about the way in which some researchers at QMUL have been spinning their data, and then attempting to smear patients who are concerned about what they've done. The QMUL administration seems to have also been attempting to portray Freedom of Infomation requests as harassment.

There was a report out last week which provides some details on this: http://www.centreforwelfarereform.org/uploads/attachment/492/in-the-expectation-of-recovery.pdf

Is this something that others at QMUL are concerned about and trying to fight against, or is no-one really bothered?
Reply 19
Hi Will,

I was wondering what books you would definitely recommend to buy for first year and which ones are best taken out from the library.

Latest