The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmallPawsInc
Not sure if this is the right place to ask - with regards to applying, I know that a 1st in your degree is worth more points. But is there more points given for higher achievement in an MSc? Say is there a difference in Pass/Merit/Distinction, and what would you need in an MSc to make a 2.1 worth as many points as a first? (I have a 2.1 and an MSc, and didn’t do fantastic (but still above average) in the UKCAT so I’ve been quite worried!)

Hi there,

I'm afraid I can't answer your question because I'm not sure... My guess is that a higher MSc would be worth more but I would contact the admissions department to ask them. If it helps, I know lots of people on both the MBBS and GEP course who got a 2.1 and did not have an MSc.

Barts love,
Will
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi there,

The deadline on UCAS for Medicine in London was October 15. However, applications for the Malta course are still open and information can be found here: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergraduate/courses/medicine-mbbs-malta/

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Barts love,
Will

thanks for replying!
whens the deadline for malta?
Hi Will,
I was wondering how Barts teach the anatomy side of the course. Do they have dissection or something else?
thanks
Currently studying maths, chemistry, physics and biology at Alevel, any tips as atm I’m finding things fairly challenging????
Hi Will

How much of the teaching at Barts is PBL? How do you and your Colleagues find PBL? My concern is that without actual tuition there is a huge possibility of not retaining the correct information?
Original post by nbitar17
thanks for replying!
whens the deadline for malta?

Sunday 30th of June!

Will
Original post by chamo123
Hi Will,
I was wondering how Barts teach the anatomy side of the course. Do they have dissection or something else?
thanks

Hi, thanks for your questions.

In your first and second years you will have regular anatomy teaching. This takes the form of guided anatomy practicals involving prosections, models, diagrams and discussion with the anatomy demonstrators. However, you will also have the opportunity to undertake a 2 week-long dissection module as part of your 'student selected component' or 'SSC' each year. There is also an opportunity to undertake a head-and-neck dissection course during the summer.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by ylilbeth
Currently studying maths, chemistry, physics and biology at Alevel, any tips as atm I’m finding things fairly challenging????

Hey there, thanks for getting in touch!

Aside from the requirements of your A-levels, there are lots of things you can be doing to improve your chances of getting into Barts. Firstly, make sure you are preparing for your UKCAT. I recommend regular revision using practice questions for a few months in the lead up to your exam. The more questions you can practice, the better you will do. Doing volunteer work in the community, at a care home or at a hospital will look really good on your personal statement and will be useful when it comes to your interview! Doing general extra-curricular activities including sport, learning an instrument or being in an academic group are really important in the interview at Barts! We take our students' union community very seriously and the interviewers will want to know how you can contribute to this.

Let me know if you'd like any more guidance.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by ldent09
Hi Will

How much of the teaching at Barts is PBL? How do you and your Colleagues find PBL? My concern is that without actual tuition there is a huge possibility of not retaining the correct information?

Hi there,

Opinion is mixed on PBL - some people love it, some would rather not do it. However, the reality is that PBL is important for a lot of reasons. Firstly, as a doctor you will need to be able to learn independently. When you are revising for your post-graduate exams to become a registrar or consultant, you won't have anyone to teach you and therefore you need to develop these independent learning skills at medical school. Secondly, PBL teaches you how to critically appraise resources and research. Because of the huge wealth of information in books, in papers and online, you need to know how to decide what is reliable. This is something you will learn when doing independent study in preparation for PBL. Finally, PBL-style interactions teach you how to work and communicate in a group with your peers in exactly the same way you would do when you begin work.

If you don't like the sound of PBL, don't be too put off. For your first block of PBLs you receive a lecture on the subject matter afterwards in a 'PBL-debrief'. This teaches you what sort of content you should be covering in your PBLs and ensures you haven't missed anything important. For subsequent PBLs, most of the content is covered in lectures or elsewhere in your course. The PBL is there to highlight important aspects of the area you are studying and to teach you the skills I've mentioned above.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any more questions.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi there,

Opinion is mixed on PBL - some people love it, some would rather not do it. However, the reality is that PBL is important for a lot of reasons. Firstly, as a doctor you will need to be able to learn independently. When you are revising for your post-graduate exams to become a registrar or consultant, you won't have anyone to teach you and therefore you need to develop these independent learning skills at medical school. Secondly, PBL teaches you how to critically appraise resources and research. Because of the huge wealth of information in books, in papers and online, you need to know how to decide what is reliable. This is something you will learn when doing independent study in preparation for PBL. Finally, PBL-style interactions teach you how to work and communicate in a group with your peers in exactly the same way you would do when you begin work.

If you don't like the sound of PBL, don't be too put off. For your first block of PBLs you receive a lecture on the subject matter afterwards in a 'PBL-debrief'. This teaches you what sort of content you should be covering in your PBLs and ensures you haven't missed anything important. For subsequent PBLs, most of the content is covered in lectures or elsewhere in your course. The PBL is there to highlight important aspects of the area you are studying and to teach you the skills I've mentioned above.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any more questions.

Barts love,
Will

Thanks Will

My son has an interview on 5 Feb at Barts and he has heard that med students are torn between liking PBL and disliking it, your explanation makes a lot of sense and has helped him to see the reason for it.

Do you have any advice for him pre interview? Apart from the questions on the article which is given in advance is there any advice you can give on other areas that might come up?

Thanks
Hi Will,

I am a current preclinical Barts student. Sometimes, I find it challenging to filter which part is important and which part is unimportant. Even though I did quite well in my first ICA in FunMed (what others regard as good), I was not satisfied at my results as I have made some stupid mistakes + found it hard to filter things (mentioned above) and could have done better (huge rooms for improvement) Therefore, apart from trying to make some adjustments on myself in the coming semester, I would like to ask you for a favor- whether you can send me some past questions on first 2 year ICAs and Finals if you have some or ask someone who has. (You can pm me.)

Also, I am curious on one thing. What percentage will guarantee the merit or distinction in your past experience?

Thank you! Looking forward to hearing to your reply!

Best,
Spiderman
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ldent09
Thanks Will

My son has an interview on 5 Feb at Barts and he has heard that med students are torn between liking PBL and disliking it, your explanation makes a lot of sense and has helped him to see the reason for it.

Do you have any advice for him pre interview? Apart from the questions on the article which is given in advance is there any advice you can give on other areas that might come up?

Thanks

Hi again,

The interview at Barts is quite relaxed and informal and the panel will include a student. As well as the obvious questions (why do you want to study medicine; what work experience do you have, etc.) the panel will probably ask about what the candidate can offer the Barts community. We have lots of sports teams, societies, peer learning and academic groups. If the interviewee has a few examples of what they can offer our students' society that would certainly be an advantage. You can read more about the students' union here: https://www.bartslondon.com/

Also, I recommend that your son has a think about how he would be able to cope with the demands of medicine both as a student and a doctor. For example, how does he cope with exam stress, how he would act if faced with an ethical problem or stressful situation at work and maybe a few example from his own life of difficult situations that he has dealt with.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to your son in his interview!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by spiderman17
Hi Will,

I am a current preclinical Barts student. Sometimes, I find it challenging to filter which part is important and which part is unimportant. Even though I did quite well in my first ICA in FunMed (what others regard as good), I was not satisfied at my results as I have made some stupid mistakes + found it hard to filter things (mentioned above) and could have done better (huge rooms for improvement) Therefore, apart from trying to make some adjustments on myself in the coming semester, I would like to ask you for a favor- whether you can send me some past questions on first 2 year ICAs and Finals if you have some or ask someone who has. (You can pm me.)

Also, I am curious on one thing. What percentage will guarantee the merit or distinction in your past experience?

Thank you! Looking forward to hearing to your reply!

Best,
Spiderman

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry but sharing past paper questions isn't allowed. The school may share practice papers or other learning resources with students and these will be found on QMplus. Good to hear you did well in FunMed. Keep up the good work and don't be too hard on yourself. If you would like any further advice please let me know.

A full outline of how merit and distinctions are awarded will be found in the student handbook on QMplus but as far as I'm aware, it's roughly 70% for a merit and 80% for a distinction.

Barts love,
Will
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by procrasinator500
Hi! Do you know the pointing system regarding the SJT of the UKCAT when combined with an interview score (offer process )? E.G is it scores 1/2/3/4 depending on what band you received or is it a larger scale?
Thank you.

I thought offers were based off interview alone? Do they combine sjt and PS with it too before making an offer? X
Do you have a good recommendation on where to stay a night before the interview at Barts? something that is relatively cheap and not too far away from the university?
Hi will, i was wondering if there are any opportunities to get involved with research throughout the undergrad degree? Also, is there a medic netball team? Thank you!
I suppose you have now been graduated and would like to congratulate you on that and wish you all the best for your career.
I am a Y2 Barts medical student and I would be grateful if you could advise me on finding some past papers (or similar) and past clinical scenarios that will help me with my study and exams which I find a challenge for me.
Thank you very much in advance for your time and your advice.
Original post by theoptimistic
Do you have a good recommendation on where to stay a night before the interview at Barts? something that is relatively cheap and not too far away from the university?

Hey, thanks for your question!

There is a travel lodge in Bethnal Green. I've never stayed there but I'm sure it will do the job! It's a short walk from Whitechapel campus. Let me know if you have any questions before your interview.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by ecs124358
Hi will, i was wondering if there are any opportunities to get involved with research throughout the undergrad degree? Also, is there a medic netball team? Thank you!

Hi there, thanks for both of your great questions!

Absolutely! There are plenty of opportunities to not only get involved in research but also write your own academic papers and get them published. There are so many routes to get into this: you can speak to clinicians on your placements or speak to your acaemic supervisor; there are many academic socieities who have close links with researchers and clinicans; when you do your dissertation in fourth year or your research project (if you do an intecalated BSc) you are encouraged to produce a paper for publication; there are also opportunities offered by the medical school, such as summer placements and bursaries, which encourage students to do research. This list is not exclusive - there are many other ways to get involved with research.

Yes - Netball is actually the biggest sports society at Barts at the moment! They have over 100 members and their first team recently won the United Hospitals cup! Read more about them here: https://www.qmsu.org/groups/blnetball/

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by marakipant98
I suppose you have now been graduated and would like to congratulate you on that and wish you all the best for your career.
I am a Y2 Barts medical student and I would be grateful if you could advise me on finding some past papers (or similar) and past clinical scenarios that will help me with my study and exams which I find a challenge for me.
Thank you very much in advance for your time and your advice.

That's very kind but I'm in fourth year at the moment. I keep my introduction to this thread up to date and have been running it since my second year!

Unfortunately, as I explained in another recent reply, I cannot share past paper questions. The medical school shares past papers and other useful learning resources on QMplus.

Barts love,
Will

Latest

Trending

Trending