The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, thanks for your questions about the interview.

The interview panel want to know that you will be a good medical student and eventually, a competent doctor! The qualities that are expected are honesty, integrity and professionalism. They want to know that you are able to treat people with respect and, especially in a diverse community such as east London, have an appreciation of cultural and religious practices that may affect a patient's health and medical treatment.

I would actually avoid 'articulating your opinion' unless pressed specifically by the panel on your own opinion. When asked about an issue in Medicine, especially one that is controversial, the panel want to know that you can appreciate both sides of the debate irrespective of your own personal opinion. A good example is the current situation around MMR vaccination. The panel may ask you a question such as 'should children who have not received their MMR vaccine be banned from attending nursery?" The 'medical' answer may be yes in your opinion because this would prevent the spread of measles. However, you would be expected to provide some points on the other side of the debate such as: "this would punish children for the actions of their parents"; or "parents can not be blamed for having fears about MMR because of the extent of online misinformation and therefore a solution could be aimed at this rather than banning children from nursery." Even issues which seem black and white to you should be addressed in this balanced way. If you are then asked about your personal opinion then you can offer it but I would avoid saying anything too critical or prejudiced against any group of people.

Personal experiences are very important! Have a few scenarios in your back pocket which you can use if asked. Apart from this, think about what you can bring to the Barts and The London community. We have loads of sports clubs and societies which you may be interested in joining!

You may want to read this GMC guidance on achieving good medical practice for medical students: https://www.gmc-uk.org/-/media/documents/Achieving_good_medical_practice_0816.pdf_66086678.pdf

and you should check out the BLSA sports and societies here: https://www.bartslondon.com/

Let me know if you have any other questions. Sorry for the long response!

Barts love,
Will

Original post by liam.ro
Hi Will,

I am planning on applying for undergraduate Medicine (2020 entry, A100).

I was wondering what sort of qualities are especially favoured in an applicant during their interview? From what I understand, articulating your opinion on the given case scenario/topical issue is rather crucial, as well as being solid on the personal experiences you have gained through work experience and volunteering, but are there any particular characteristics or quailites that the panel is hoping to probe out of you?

Thank you for your time!
(edited 4 years ago)
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Hi Will,

Could you get in touch with whoever is running the new entry Facebook page, that you access from the QMPLUS website, to check for those that have requested to enter the group. I’ve waited for a week now and nothing!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Will,

Could you get in touch with whoever is running the new entry Facebook page, that you access from the QMPLUS website, to check for those that have requested to enter the group. I’ve waited for a week now and nothing!

me too!!
Hi both, thanks for getting in touch.

Is this still the case? I can get in touch with the person organising the account if so.

Barts love,
Will

Hi Will,

me too!!
Yes, still the case
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi both, thanks for getting in touch.

Is this still the case? I can get in touch with the person organising the account if so.

Barts love,
Will
Hi there,

I have sent an email to the BLSA so hopefully this will be resolved soon!

Thanks,
Will
Yes, still the case
Hi Will,

The 2019 entry Facebook group still hasn’t accepted anyone. Is there anyway you can get someone to check the correct link is up for the correct Facebook group?
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi there,

I have sent an email to the BLSA so hopefully this will be resolved soon!

Thanks,
Will
Hello,
can i ask if all Bart's and the London 2019 offer holders are conditional offers subject to satisfactory health and DBS checks?

Has any Barts 2019 offer holder obtain a CAS (confirmation acceptance) yet? When do they issue those?
Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

Yes - if I understand your question correctly, undergraduate MBBS offers are conditional - you must have satisfactory health and DBS checks.

I'm not sure the exact dates of confirmation acceptance - you may need to contact the admissions office if you have any concerns.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by andy7890
Hello,
can i ask if all Bart's and the London 2019 offer holders are conditional offers subject to satisfactory health and DBS checks?

Has any Barts 2019 offer holder obtain a CAS (confirmation acceptance) yet? When do they issue those?
Hi Will,

I've just booked one of the campus tours offered there in early August, which I'm glad to be able to attend. I understand that the tour doesn't include access to the Whitechapel campus and its medical facilities, so I would have to go over there individually if I wanted to have a look around for my own interest. Are there any particular buildings, areas or features that you recommend a prospective student should take some time to see? I'm sure that the self-guided tour booklet is reasonably comprehensive, but was wondering if there is any additional, useful information that a QMUL medical student would have.

Thanks very much in advance!
Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

I recommend popping into the Griff Inn if it's open and having a look around. You may also want to see inside the Garrod building to see what the study spaces are like. You could probably poke your head into the Perrin lecture theatre as well. Those are the parts of the Whitechapel campus you will be using most during first and second year. If you will be staying at halls in your first year, you may want to have a look at Floyer House which is one of two Barts and The London halls.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by liam.ro
Hi Will,

I've just booked one of the campus tours offered there in early August, which I'm glad to be able to attend. I understand that the tour doesn't include access to the Whitechapel campus and its medical facilities, so I would have to go over there individually if I wanted to have a look around for my own interest. Are there any particular buildings, areas or features that you recommend a prospective student should take some time to see? I'm sure that the self-guided tour booklet is reasonably comprehensive, but was wondering if there is any additional, useful information that a QMUL medical student would have.

Thanks very much in advance!
Hi, Just wondering which type of stethoscope is recommended for first year medical students at Barts? Thanks so much
Reply 872
Hi,

I was wondering how much (roughly) I will need to spend on travel costs during my first year? Also whether it is worth getting an Oyster card or rail card, and what the best options are regarding the tube and travelling around London cost effectively?
Reply 873
Hey is there anyone living in Floyer house 2019 at QMUL?
Hi!
I am in room G106
Original post by Jksx
Hey is there anyone living in Floyer house 2019 at QMUL?
Reply 875
Original post by Andrada00
Hi!
I am in room G106

Hey, I’m in J122
I've heard that it can be more hands on rather than knowledge based. Do you fell that you have as much medical knowledge as people from other unis? Are the professors more research focused or are they passionate about teaching? thx xx
Original post by Alexandra Kalina
I've heard that it can be more hands on rather than knowledge based. Do you fell that you have as much medical knowledge as people from other unis? Are the professors more research focused or are they passionate about teaching? thx xxxx

Yeah, and is the environment intelectually stimulating at all or is it more of a reject, party culture?
Hi. I missed my grades for dentistry. Considering Biomed at QMUL or resit
Any advice?

Latest

Trending

Trending