The Student Room Group

Sixth Form- grades to get in???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
5 A-Cs and B in your chosen subjects. But if you smile sweetly I think you get in anyway;yucky;
Reply 21
Mine has a points system. 8 is an A*, 7 - A, 6 - B, etc. and then they take and average from all your results. I think its something like 6.5 points average to take 4 AS-Levels and 5.5 to take 3 AS-Levels.
Reply 22
My new sixth form asks for 8 B's! :eek:
Reply 23
Well you have to get 5 A-Cs.
A certain number of points (300ish?) to do 3 A levels and about 400ish to do 4 A levels.

That seems a little strong, but I guess it depends how many GCSEs you are taking, but even so. I think it is 8 points for every A*, 6 for an A, 4 for a C etc. Are you sure you don't mean 30 - or perhaps you're thinking of UCAS points.
Mine's an average of 6.5 (where A* = 8, A = 7, B = 6) across all your subjects (usually 10 or 11), with an A in Maths and English, and As in the subjects you want to study.
5 A*-C GCSEs, but not many really go to our 6th form. There are like 30 in my upper 6th.
My entry requirements were BBBBBB and pass my three other GCSEs. There are occasionally, exceptions to the rule though.
It's 5 C's for us, with B's in the subjects you want to take at A-level. (I fail to see the logic in that, to be honest.) And even if you don't get the 5 C's, they just put you on probation, ie they let you in on the condition that you retake whichever core GCSEs (English, Maths, Double Science?) and get C's. If not... Well, I haven't heard of someone not being able to do that, but there's always a first.
Reply 28
My sixth form asks for 5 A* - C grades. And many subjects (mainly the sciences & maths) enforce the rule of needed at least a B in that chosen subject. Although, many people get in with much lower entry requirements... :dontknow:
Reply 29
5 A*-C's at my 6th form college.
Cerys_x
If my school had entry requirements of 5 B's, there would be around 20 students.

:rofl:

My college asks for an average of 6 (B=6) so you can either get all Bs or a couple of Cs and lots of As or whatever, just as long as your average is a minimum of 6.
Reply 31
Mine requires 50 points from your best 8 GCSEs.

The point scale they use is it's 10 points for an A* then it goes down in twos from there.

So it's at least one A and seven Bs.
5 A*-C with a B needed if your taking the subject up for A-Level.

People who get D's in Maths and English get into the 6th but will have to resit in November.
At ours it's 5 A* - C, although they do let ye in with less than that!

Some subjects have individual entry requirements though! I'm doing BTEC Retail and the entry requirement for that was at least 4 C's at GCSE and it's taught over 2 years, so we have to complete both years to be able to pass!
Reply 34
Mine is 5A*s - Cs, ideally with a B in the subject you would like to take (but the head of the History department is just too nice, so I think she'll listen to everyone who wants to do History aslong as their enthusiastic!)

Maths is setted though, so people with A*s and As in one set and people with Bs and lower in the other (although they don't actually allow anyone with less than a B to do it). Sciences, particularly Chem and Physics, ask for atleast a B in Maths I think, but say if you got AA at double and a C in Maths they might consider you

I think it does just depend on the person! I almost went to a sixth form that required atleast 30 points from your 5 best GCSEs. I'm so happy I stayed at my current one.
Supposedly 7A*-C but about 20% didn't get that and was allowed in....
Reply 36
6A* and 2 A beat that bitch!!!!
(edited 10 years ago)
At my school you need 9 Bs or at least 18 points
A sixth form I applied to wanted 6A*'s...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending