The Student Room Group

Applying to two courses at the same university?

I want to be a vet and I am looking to apply to the Royal Veterinary College as one of my choices this September. They do a 5 year BVetMed programme with AAA/AAB entry requirements but also do a Veterinary Gateway course (for widening participation) which is 1 year and allows direct entry onto the BVetMed on completion. The entry requirements for this are CCC. I meet the widening participation criteria necessary for the Gateway programme so I could apply and it would (hopefully) allow me entry if I don't get the grades but I would also like to apply to the 5 year BVetMed too in case I do get the grades. Am I allowed to do this or would it look bad and work against me during the application process? I have heard some unis see this as a lack of commitment to the profession but the reason I would like to apply for both is because I want to do the course so badly!
I have seen other people at my school apply for the sameish course at the same uni. My friend applied for law & spanish, plus law & psychology at Strathclyde university and she still got accepted onto both courses.

However, i am not totally sure as Vet/med applications may be viewed differently to a law application.

Sorry, this was probably not helpful .. :smile:
That seems to make perfect sense to me. It still leads to the same place. Why not contact the Gateway organisers, just to check and they cna reassure you..
Email RVC and ask them for advice.
Ask them if the gateway course counts as a vet choice or not (remember you can only apply to 4 vet courses)
If it doesn't, and it would be your 5th choice, you should definitely go for it.

But if it doesn't, I personally wouldn't apply to both. It would be a waste of your choice.
Applying to a different uni instead would increase your chances of getting in.

You can also post this question in the VetMed section of TSR and see what others say.
i don't know about your particular uni but I did this for Derby, I applied for Zoology and Biology as they went in slightly different directions in the second and third year and they were fine with it. As your two choices are also extremely similar I don't think itd look bad, itd just look like you were giving yourself a back up if you didn't make it onto the higher course. Just write on your personal statement that you are so interested in the course you would like to make sure that even if you don't manage to get the grades required for the vet course you still get a chance to be on the course that leads onto it
I'm 99% sure that that's fine, and that it doesn't count as one of your four D100 applications since the application deadline for gateway is in January. I'm certain that I've seen people get accepted for both, and put the five year course as their firm and gateway as their backup.

Best of luck with your upcoming application :smile:
Reply 6
I applied for 4 courses at the Royal Veterinary College and was accepted onto 3 of them, so doesn't seem to be a problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending