The Student Room Group

AP or A-levels?

I'm currently taking my IGCSEs and I'm not sure what I should and want to do next year. I'm frequently switching between american & british systems as my family moves every once in a while.
My A-level choices are:
Maths
Physics
Economics
Computer Science

If I switch again to an American school I plan to take these courses:
Grade 11:
English 11
Pre-calculus
AP Psychology
AP Physics 1
Biology

Grade 12:
English 12
Calculus/AP Calculus AB
AP Physics 2/AP Physics C:M
AP Macro-econ
Environmental Science
Depends on whether you want to go to a UK uni or American university/college.

If you are eligible for UK £9k a year courses I would recommend doing A Levels as a top American university/college can cost over $40k a year.

Also I've heard the American education system is quite flawed, and it's probably easier to transition from a UK curriculum to a UK curriculum so I'd factor that into your decision too. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
The Us education system sucks... its like 20th whilst Uk ranks around 5th in the world

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, also you could consider International Baccalaureate as I think they do them in both the US and UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a.15
I'm currently taking my IGCSEs and I'm not sure what I should and want to do next year. I'm frequently switching between american & british systems as my family moves every once in a while.
My A-level choices are:
Maths
Physics
Economics
Computer Science

If I switch again to an American school I plan to take these courses:
Grade 11:
English 11
Pre-calculus
AP Psychology
AP Physics 1
Biology

Grade 12:
English 12
Calculus/AP Calculus AB
AP Physics 2/AP Physics C:M
AP Macro-econ
Environmental Science

Either set up would work in theory. You might have an issue with getting an accurate GPA if you plan on applying to US unis but, I'm sure there's a workaround.

Could you not do AP Biology instead of just honours? And I'd recommend doing AP Calc instead of normal calc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by ksj.11
The Us education system sucks... its like 20th whilst Uk ranks around 5th in the world

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you go to school in the U.S., or are you going by some study from a magazine article? There are several different polls done on which country has the best education system, and each one has different results. The U.S. doesn't have a central education system. Each state runs their own education system, and each town/city also has control of curriculum, assessments, and learning materials. As a result, quality varies from one town to another. The say the whole U.S. education system "sucks" as though it's one entity is being ignorant. I went to school in a town which was regarded as having the best education in the state. There are other towns and cities in the same state which do not do as well. It's not about the country as a whole when the system varies from one state and municipality to another.

Quick Reply

Latest