The Student Room Group

Looking for jobs

Hi!
I'm currently about to start searching for jobs. I've never had a job before and I'm currently in Year 12 so ideally, I need one that works around my school hours and time for independent study. I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on where to look for jobs and any tips on how to be successful in securing a job.

Thank you!
Hiya, the best way of securing a job is to have a well-written CV and make a good impression in an interview if you get one. When I was looking for a job last year, I found that the shops I actually went into to ask for jobs (rather than apply online)seemed to be the ones I got interviews with. Also make sure you put down as much availability for time as possible- even though you may not be able to work all the hours you say, they may offer you less hours after they've talked to you because they like you. It can be demoralising when you don't get a job for ages but don't give up! I started looking for one after yr 11 and didn't get one until October of yr 12, so it can take a while! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much! I will take this all into account. I just applied for one at M&S, have you had any experience with them? Also, where do you work now and how many applications did you make before you got a job?
Yh, M&S are meant to be a good company to work for, though did you have to do that questionnaire thing online? I, apparently didn't have the 'right personality' for the job! Some people are successful with it though cos I know a few people that work there. I work at BHS (yh theyre in administration now so that kinda sucks!) but they have been a really good company to work for, even changed my hours from Saturdays to sundays because I was finding as levels too stressful. I gave them my CV and then they rung me for an interview, it was near xmas time and they really needed staff. Must have applied to at least 20 jobs by the time i actually got one. Boots are also meant to be a good employer and if theres any theme parks/attrations near you, apply to those. Good Luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
thanks again for your great help! I did have to do the personality quiz and when I applied for next I didn't have the right personality so fingers crossed for this one! Can I ask why you recommend theme parks?
I know a lot of people who do weekend work at theme parks and they say it's much more fun than retail, so if you're not keen on the idea of working in a shop then it might be more fun. Also they usually pay better. Personally I don't think I'd like to work in one because they ask you to work loads of overtime though. You could also ask in restaurants if they need staff, depends what you want to do really.
Reply 6
Thank you so much, you've been great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending