Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Looking for jobs

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm currently about to start searching for jobs. I've never had a job before and I'm currently in Year 12 so ideally, I need one that works around my school hours and time for independent study. I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on where to look for jobs and any tips on how to be successful in securing a job.

Thank you!

Hiya, the best way of securing a job is to have a well-written CV and make a good impression in an interview if you get one. When I was looking for a job last year, I found that the shops I actually went into to ask for jobs (rather than apply online)seemed to be the ones I got interviews with. Also make sure you put down as much availability for time as possible- even though you may not be able to work all the hours you say, they may offer you less hours after they've talked to you because they like you. It can be demoralising when you don't get a job for ages but don't give up! I started looking for one after yr 11 and didn't get one until October of yr 12, so it can take a while!

Thank you so much! I will take this all into account. I just applied for one at M&S, have you had any experience with them? Also, where do you work now and how many applications did you make before you got a job?

Yh, M&S are meant to be a good company to work for, though did you have to do that questionnaire thing online? I, apparently didn't have the 'right personality' for the job! Some people are successful with it though cos I know a few people that work there. I work at BHS (yh theyre in administration now so that kinda sucks!) but they have been a really good company to work for, even changed my hours from Saturdays to sundays because I was finding as levels too stressful. I gave them my CV and then they rung me for an interview, it was near xmas time and they really needed staff. Must have applied to at least 20 jobs by the time i actually got one. Boots are also meant to be a good employer and if theres any theme parks/attrations near you, apply to those. Good Luck

thanks again for your great help! I did have to do the personality quiz and when I applied for next I didn't have the right personality so fingers crossed for this one! Can I ask why you recommend theme parks?

I know a lot of people who do weekend work at theme parks and they say it's much more fun than retail, so if you're not keen on the idea of working in a shop then it might be more fun. Also they usually pay better. Personally I don't think I'd like to work in one because they ask you to work loads of overtime though. You could also ask in restaurants if they need staff, depends what you want to do really.

Thank you so much, you've been great!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.