The Student Room Group

FY1 - accommodation and general info

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Helenia
Most hospital accommodation that I've seen is organised in flats, with single bedrooms and a shared kitchen/bathroom usually between 4-6 people. Sometimes there is also a shared living room. I would not expect there to be a washing machine in the flat, there may be a laundry room somewhere in the building or you may have to go to a commercial laundrette. Contact your accommodation office with these questions, they should be able to help you! As for supermarkets, googlemaps is your friend. Most of the UK major supermarkets will also deliver for an additional charge.

For your shadowing (and your actual job) you will need smart trousers - doesn't have to be suit trousers, but jeans would not be acceptable. Short sleeved shirts are ok. Smart dark shoes. I'm assuming you're male from what you've said, so I won't talk about skirts/heels etc.

Hi,
this is an old thread I know. But just wanted to ask with hospital accommodation can you choose if you want to stay in a female apartment or at least students around your age, as I really wouldnt want to be living with older men
Reply 21
Original post by girl_in_black
At my hospital, scrubs are only allowed on nights or if you have been assisting in theatre.

None of the hospitals I have worked in have had accommodation. *I think hospital accommodation is becoming an increasingly rare concept these days, so I would not just assume that it will be available, OP (though I suspect you have looked into this and are not just assuming...). *The places I know where accommodation is available, you need to arrange things quite well in advance, so I would encourage you to sort this out soon as possible as shadowing week is not that far away! *

Food shopping wise, if you are in a city, it is more than likely that there will be a store of some description within walking distance. *As has already been mentioned, internet shopping is also an option. *

As for laundry, the hospital accommodation I stayed in as a student had a washer and dryer, however these were quite expensive to use (I think the washing machine cost £4 per go, and the dryer was either £1 or £2 per 10 minutes). *Not ideal, but manageable.

Hi, this is an old post but id really like your view. With hospital accomodation I heard you could literally be placed with anyone like a 40 year old man, for me this would be intimidating, did you not find this a problem?
Original post by Emily403
Hi, this is an old post but id really like your view. With hospital accomodation I heard you could literally be placed with anyone like a 40 year old man, for me this would be intimidating, did you not find this a problem?

The times I've stayed in hospital accommodation, it's been small flats with 3-4 rooms. A couple of times they were ensuite, another time it was a shared bathroom. Whole variety of fellow flat-people, men and women of different ages, and as people would change posts and jobs at different times, you'd often suddenly get a new person in one of the rooms. Most of them were doctors, but once had an ODP. No I didn't find it intimidating - in honesty we never got to know each other very well as we were very different people, but I never felt uncomfortable. I guess part of me also rationalised that (whilst this isn;t a complete failsafe), they all worked in clinical environments which required enhanced DBS checks and were therefore unlikely to be too dodgy. All the rooms had individual locks on the doors.

To be honest, out of all of them (40-year-old men included), the weirdest one was probably the 20yo femaleODP who used to have some really obsessive kitchen rules (and I thought I was quite a clean person...) and used to build symmetrical towers out of the toilet rolls...
Hi,
this is an old thread I know. But just wanted to ask with hospital accommodation can you choose if you want to stay in a female apartment or at least students around your age, as I really wouldnt want to be living with older men

I think the nature of hospital accommodation means you get very little control unfortunately. You can ask, including asking about paying more for more private accommodation, but I'd prepare for a 'no'.
Hi,

Why are older men more intimidating than younger ones?

As has already been said, you can ask, but there are no guarantees. Obviously it would depend on how much accommodation they have available and who else is living there as to how flexible it can be. They often also have a high turnover of residents as people use it as a temporary measure while looking for a longer term private let, so what starts as an all-female flat may not remain that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending