The Student Room Group

A-level or BTEC - which are you going to choose?

Poll

Are you going to do a BTEC?

There are some negative perceptions around doing a BTEC instead of A-level, how many of you are considering doing a BTEC?

New research shows that more BTEC students than ever are going to university these days. Since 2008 the number of BTEC students going to uni has grown by 113% (compared to A level students attending growing by just 7% in the same period)!

We did some research that found BTEC students are more career focused, more likely to set up their own business and less likely to take a gap year. BTEC students are 15% more likely to know where they want their career to go and are very driven, compared to those doing the traditional A level route.

Very interesting!

What do you guys think? Considering doing a BTEC?
(edited 7 years ago)
The only reason I'm not doing a BTEC is because all the subjects I want to do are only offered as A levels.
In my year, people do view BTECs as less than what they're actually worth, even though we have been told level 3 is worth the same as an a level.
I guess you'll never change some people's opinions!
(edited 7 years ago)
I've finished the first year of my BTEC course and I do not regret at all.

I was originally going to do A levels but found the A level health and social care a bit boring so I decided to do a BTEC. BTEC health and social care allows me to do several work placements and the units were a lot better. For the career I want to go into I think BTEC is more beneficial to me.

Even though I am planning to go to university I am not aiming for a top one so it doesn't matter that I didn't do A levels.

It all depends what each person thinks is better for them and what careers they want to go to. Both BTEC and A levels have their pros and cons so neither of them are more superior than the other.
Reply 3
The subjects I want to do are only available as A-levels so, no :redface:
Reply 4
I did BTEC and now am going to uni and I definitely don't regret it.

They both have pros and cons. The main reason BTEC students are more career focused is that they have already chosen what career they want to do so they start on that road earlier. While A level students select general subjects and many only decide after getting answers back from universities. I know many A level students who applied for 2-3 completely different university courses because they were unsure on what they wanted to do. Then some end up dropping out or changing the course and starting again because they realise it's not what they want to do. Then again, I also know BTEC students who are only doing it because it's passable and they don't know what else to do.

Quick Reply

Latest