The Student Room Group

New grad life - book recommendations

Hi,

With luck I'll be qualifying in <12 months :eek: I'm probably going to go into mixed and wondered if anyone has any particularly useful books or resources recommendations bar the compendiums for the new grad, whether it be surgery or medicine and any of small/large/equine

Thanks

AC

@ch0c0h01ic @ouchthathurts @Future African game vet @ponyvet @SilverstarDJ @skatealexia
Original post by Angry cucumber
Hi,

With luck I'll be qualifying in <12 months :eek: I'm probably going to go into mixed and wondered if anyone has any particularly useful books or resources recommendations bar the compendiums for the new grad, whether it be surgery or medicine and any of small/large/equine

Thanks

AC

For your Cattle and Sheep Medicine work:

Cattle and Sheep Medicine, 2nd Edition: Self-Assessment Color Review

I have the first edition and thought it was great. It is set out in a "case study" structure which is great for OSCE/viva revision as well as teaching your a logical approach to farm animal cases as a new grad. Do not let the "Medicine" title mislead you, it does touch on some of the more common surgical techniques too.

For your Smallies work:

100 Top Consultations in Small Animal General Practice

Not a "question and answer" book like the above but does cover the most common consults you are likely to face. Again it is good at teaching you a logical manner to approach cases (ie; what questions to ask, what diagnostics to consider, treatment options) but also what to do if the patient isn't getting better, low cost options and when to consider referral.

I am a little biased because Sheena was one of my lecturers but I have always found the book easier to use and more approachable (ie; less fluff, less endless DDs, less algorithms, etc) than the likes of "5 minute consult".

Those are the only two clinical practice books I would recommend if you are considering mixed practice. If you have that sort of clinical approach in your OSCEs/vivas you should have few issues passing.

A farm animal medicine atlas (ie; Roger Blowey) is nice but I never saw much use for it.

The BVA new graduate handbook is useful with regards to CV writing, what to look for in a first job, etc. IIRC you should get a free copy when you graduate if you are a member of the BVA (dirt cheap as a student, make the most of it).

----

The vast majority of practices these days have Fossums, Ettingers, BSAVA Formularies, Noah Compendiums, etc. Even if they aren't the most recent edition they are usable. Don't bother investing in your own. I'm studying for a cert at the moment and even I can't see the benefit of spending a couple of hundred quid on new editions for myself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hmmm cattle and sheep, I really like Phil Scotts books because they'r nice and easy, basics all covered plenty of pictures. I think I've got PDFs of them somewhere I can send to you if you want them? (Definitely the sheep one, 99% sure I've got the cattle one too) Keep them in the car normally. Got a copy of Smith's Large Animal Internal Medicine too which is really useful for looking checking over stuff back home and making sure I'm not missing anything and understand what I'm doing.*

Small animal... I just kind of beg for help off the others!! Top 100 has been useful though, again think I have a PDF somewhere if you want it?*
I've bought the BSAVA manuals of feline/canine practice. You can get a discount as a (free) student BSAVA member. I really like the layout, find it easy to find things in it etc. I got it over 100 small animal consults as I felt it had more details, but mostly due to personal preference.

As a BSAVA member you can download their small animal procedures book too which might also be useful for OSCEs.

Fossum is good for small animal surgery. I got a 2nd hand edition off another student at a greatly discounted rate, but as others have mentioned practices will often have this sort of book anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending