The Student Room Group

Why are people underrating Leicester again?

Scroll to see replies

Lol, this thread is kind of funny - looking back at it in retrospect.
Ah this is FF gold
Original post by scriggy
This is one of those threads that's going to be bumped for the next 9 months isn't it. :tongue:

Yup.
Restrospective irony at its finest, lads
Thread title should probably now be changed to "Why are people overrating Leicester" as I don't think anyone saw them as relegation candidates.
Having lost to Swansea, it seems that now relegation is definitely on the cards...they've shocked me again tbf, I didn't expect them to defend their title this badly...
Reply 66
No surprise as to who OP is.
The OP arguably has the worst football analysis of anyone on this forum, this thread is a decent example.

However, few had the balls to really argue Leicester would be relegation candidates. Though from a pragmatic view, who would have though the decline would be this great? The prediction was outlandish, but someone in work betted on Leicester winning the league when at 50/1, and then at the start of the season for relegation (not sure the odds). It's outlandish but boy it looks likely now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gob Bluth
The OP arguably has the worst football analysis of anyone on this forum, this thread is a decent example.

However, few had the balls to really argue Leicester would be relegation candidates. Though from a pragmatic view, who would have though the decline would be this great? The prediction was outlandish, but someone in work betted on Leicester winning the league when at 50/1, and then at the start of the season for relegation (not sure the odds). It's outlandish but boy it looks likely now.

Absolutely noone thought they'd be in a relegation scrap. I certainly didn't, how could you? Even now it's hard to believe.

They ****ed up their pre season, failed to buy any defenders and some poor signings (Hernandez, Mendy, Musa all underwhelming and Kaputska has barely played), teams have figured them out and are taking them more seriously, they've focused on Europe. Team selection baffling too as Ranieri seems scared to drop anyone. Chilwell and Gray look good whenever I see them, why aren't they playing more often?

Giving almost every player a huge bonus and a new contract probably wasn't the best idea either. The players knew they had reached the top of the tree and they'd never do it again.

I think they should have cashed in on Mahrez when they had the chance as well, he looks totally uninterested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Absolutely noone thought they'd be in a relegation scrap. I certainly didn't, how could you? Even now it's hard to believe.

They ****ed up their pre season, failed to buy any defenders and some poor signings (Hernandez, Mendy, Musa all underwhelming and Kaputska has barely played), teams have figured them out and are taking them more seriously, they've focused on Europe. Team selection baffling too as Ranieri seems scared to drop anyone. Chilwell and Gray look good whenever I see them, why aren't they playing more often?

Giving almost every player a huge bonus and a new contract probably wasn't the best idea either. The players knew they had reached the top of the tree and they'd never do it again.

I think they should have cashed in on Mahrez when they had the chance as well, he looks totally uninterested.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was a difficult one to call but I saw them as mid table. It doesn't overly surprise me to see this happen to be quite honest. But it was very unlikely and I wouldn't call it.

As you said that their new signings haven't fired and Mahrez has been shite is catalyst to this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gob Bluth
It was a difficult one to call but I saw them as mid table. It doesn't overly surprise me to see this happen to be quite honest. But it was very unlikely and I wouldn't call it.

As you said that their new signings haven't fired and Mahrez has been shite is catalyst to this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Steve Walsh leaving for Everton is just as big a miss as Kante. Everton have done some decent business - Schneiderlin, Idrissa, Ashley Williams and the young lad Lookman who scored on his debut, Bolasie was a tad overpriced but he wasn't doing badly before his injury. Imagine if Leicester had signed players like that.

Ndidi looks good though, i'll give them credit for that.
Interesting article in The Guardian about Leeds in 1992. Swap a few names and it's almost a perfect description of Leicester right now.

HOWARD WILKINSON
Manager when Leeds United pipped Manchester United to the old First Division title in 1992. The following season Leeds finished 17th, two points above the relegation zone.

“It’s one thing coming up on the rails in a title race, as we did in 1992, and quite another starting a season with everyone else in the league thinking: ‘We’re at home against the champions and they’re the team to beat.’ We didn’t win away that following season.

I think some players had run the marathon when we won the title. And then when they reported back it was like someone saying to them: ‘Come on, you’ve got to run it again.’ Some just didn’t have that in them. Plus we lost some of the application because a few started to think: ‘We’ve done all that; now I’m a good player.’ To put it in working-class terms, they stopped rolling their sleeves up and getting their knees dirty, so some of our organisation and discipline went.

To give you an example, our set pieces in the three years prior to that were, statistically speaking, of the highest order. The next season that just wasn’t the case. The first two months we were conceding goals that we’d never conceded in our lives.

Also, and I don’t want to be disrespectful here, but I think some of the players over-performed, so they started to feel the strain of that and then there’s a regression back to normal. They’d been scoring nine out of 10 every week and sometimes, if you looked at them realistically, you’d be thinking: ‘I’d be happy if this guy gave me seven out of 10.’

Eric Cantona left in November of the season after winning the title but it’s nonsense to say that his departure was a big reason for what happened. That hypothesis is based on a false assumption that the season before Eric had a dramatic impact. He started seven games and scored three goals in the title-winning campaign. None of that, of course, is to denigrate Eric and his ability. What I would say is that the 1992-93 season was our one blip, because we had fifth-placed finishes the next two years. Also, to those people that ask: ‘Did the title happen too soon?’ Well, you’re not going to turn it down, are you?
Original post by sr90
Interesting article in The Guardian about Leeds in 1992. Swap a few names and it's almost a perfect description of Leicester right now.

HOWARD WILKINSON
Manager when Leeds United pipped Manchester United to the old First Division title in 1992. The following season Leeds finished 17th, two points above the relegation zone.

“It’s one thing coming up on the rails in a title race, as we did in 1992, and quite another starting a season with everyone else in the league thinking: ‘We’re at home against the champions and they’re the team to beat.’ We didn’t win away that following season.

I think some players had run the marathon when we won the title. And then when they reported back it was like someone saying to them: ‘Come on, you’ve got to run it again.’ Some just didn’t have that in them. Plus we lost some of the application because a few started to think: ‘We’ve done all that; now I’m a good player.’ To put it in working-class terms, they stopped rolling their sleeves up and getting their knees dirty, so some of our organisation and discipline went.

To give you an example, our set pieces in the three years prior to that were, statistically speaking, of the highest order. The next season that just wasn’t the case. The first two months we were conceding goals that we’d never conceded in our lives.

Also, and I don’t want to be disrespectful here, but I think some of the players over-performed, so they started to feel the strain of that and then there’s a regression back to normal. They’d been scoring nine out of 10 every week and sometimes, if you looked at them realistically, you’d be thinking: ‘I’d be happy if this guy gave me seven out of 10.’

Eric Cantona left in November of the season after winning the title but it’s nonsense to say that his departure was a big reason for what happened. That hypothesis is based on a false assumption that the season before Eric had a dramatic impact. He started seven games and scored three goals in the title-winning campaign. None of that, of course, is to denigrate Eric and his ability. What I would say is that the 1992-93 season was our one blip, because we had fifth-placed finishes the next two years. Also, to those people that ask: ‘Did the title happen too soon?’ Well, you’re not going to turn it down, are you?

It shows I think just how good Alex Ferguson was as he was able to motivate his team to be at or at least very close to the top for so many years.
Original post by Diego Costa
I've made similar comments earlier in other threads, but I don't see why people are largely predicting Leicester to finish 7th-10th which is 50-65 points.

Other than Kante (not irreplaceable) they haven't lost anyone and have otherwise strengthened. Ahmed Musa for instance in particular looks like one to watch. They've kept Vardy and it looks like Mahrez will be around next season.

The only other real argument is that the CL may take a lot of their energy, but start to finish it's only 13 games. I doubt the same people predicting Leicester to flop in the League are expecting them to win the CL. Even then, they're in Pot 1 and as long as they avoid Atleti and Dortmund can afford to play second string players and qualify in first.

Anyone else got any input for why they won't make top 5?

Legit nonce.
Original post by Nichrome
It shows I think just how good Alex Ferguson was as he was able to motivate his team to be at or at least very close to the top for so many years.

Yeah I think only Ferguson and Mou have retained the PL title. Even the invincibles couldn't manage it. Past few winners have finished 7th, 2nd, 10th and now this.

Interesting piece from Wilkinson to neatly sum up what's going on. Leicesters squad isn't good enough to take it easy without ending up in the ****.
Also, does anyone remember a couple of pundits getting absolutely slated over the summer for entertaining the possibility that they could be relegated this year?
Tbf to the op - no-one saw the attitude and effort, that was there even through the 140 days rock bottom spell two years ago, falling away like it has.

Take a look at Vardy - his conversion rate is actually fairly similar to last season, but he's only getting about a quarter of the chances per game that he was getting last year. Teams sitting deeper is part of the reason, but more of it is his movement being so poor - whereas last season he'd bust a gut to make space and get to balls, now he just seems to give up on it if it's not directly to him - and play like drinkwaters yesterday from the midfield - constantly dropping deeper and deeper, giving the ball back to the cbs and forcing them to just boot it clear - means that ball to him is always needing him to harry and chase.

This season has been a monumental **** up from the get go; a terrible pre-season sending us in only 60% and having us playing catch-up from the get go, players getting into a league rut focusing on the European nights and then unable to get out of it when the group stage ended, as well as tactical blunders and embarrassingly poor recruitment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Sr90 won the thread btw.
@sr90 I'll quote you in may.
Original post by scriggy
Yeah I think only Ferguson and Mou have retained the PL title. Even the invincibles couldn't manage it. Past few winners have finished 7th, 2nd, 10th and now this.

Interesting piece from Wilkinson to neatly sum up what's going on. Leicesters squad isn't good enough to take it easy without ending up in the ****.

Nobody has made a serious attempt to defend their title since Sir Alex Ferguson himself in 2011-12.

Manchester City are the anomaly in a way as they finished 2nd, but in 2013 they were embarrassing and 2015 they were poor and never seriously in the title race. The less said about Leicester, Chelsea or Moyes' United the better.

The quality of the Premier League has improved since then and there's not a huge gap between the teams like there was then. Even Conte will find it hard to defend his title next season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy Seville
Legit nonce.

Yes, because I'm sure you predicted them to be in a relegation battle.

Legit tw*t.

People can take the piss all they want but I don't remember those same people suggesting them to perform like this.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest