The Student Room Group

Reneging signed offer

Hiya,

I'd like to ask if there would be a problem in case I'd renege on a job offer in the middle of the background check. Could the company say that they've already paid the external agency to conduct the check, or something like that, so there would be implications now?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
Your employment contract/offer letter would have to state you would cover any costs incurred by the organisation if you were to withdraw from the process before joining.

That is unlikely and even if it does state that, they'd probably not do anything. Those reference check companies do not cost that much, and it would probably cost them more time/resource to try and reclaim it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you.I'm still contemplating about it, and I suppose that I should first sign and send the other offer and then go through with the renege?
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
Can you not just ask for some more time to consider the offer? When do you think you will hear back from the other role? Could you hurry them along instead, telling them you have another offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I already got the second offer. I'm now thinking on whether reneging on the first one and accepting it, or just stick with the first one and decline the second.
Reply 3
Original post by J-SP
My advice would be go with your first choice/preference. Neither organisation would want you to select it if your heart isn't really in it - you are far more likely to leave if you are not happy, and that is worse for the organisation than you dropping out/declining the offer now.

Thank you for your advice. Both jobs are of interest to me that's why I'm on a dilemma. I was also worried about potential ramifications of reneging, although I have heard that it is done by many and is a pretty common thing with (grad) job offers. Picking up the phone and doing it yourself though is more stressful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending