The Student Room Group

Year 11 I'm so nervous. help!

In 2 weeks i start in year 11 the last school year however i am so nervous my girlfriend is really nervous as well we both understand that we cant mess about in year 11 however please give us some tips on how to get through year 11 without having breakdowns cause i know i may have little breakdowns cause i suffer from really bad depression.
Please help by giving us some tips
Thank you
My biggest tip is to start revising early. Especially if you know that mentally you struggle to handle pressure. I was personally really good at handling pressure but I knew a girl who'd collapse so easily. If you know you breakdown easily, then plan ahead and keep on top of everything.
Original post by LeeMcErlean
In 2 weeks i start in year 11 the last school year however i am so nervous my girlfriend is really nervous as well we both understand that we cant mess about in year 11 however please give us some tips on how to get through year 11 without having breakdowns cause i know i may have little breakdowns cause i suffer from really bad depression.
Thank you

My advice would be to find your best revision technique that suits you, and use it to revise little and often throughout the year. For example, I used flashcards, and I WISH I started writing them earlier and even finished them before Christmas/mocks because I would have been in such a strong position for the new year! A lot of the time I was finishing flashcards the day before an exam and cramming which is extremely stressful so don't do it! Also, make sure you revise for mocks, take them seriously, they determine predictions later on.

Look, it's gonna be a stressful year there is no doubt about it, but you'll get through it! There will be times you will "get in your own head" and stress out, I threw up about 10 times before my first exam, had to go to the doctor to get pills to calm me down but I got through it, AND I did well! I got 2 A*s, 8 As and 1 B today so if I can do it, you can :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by BioStudentx
My biggest tip is to start revising early. Especially if you know that mentally you struggle to handle pressure. I was personally really good at handling pressure but I knew a girl who'd collapse so easily. If you know you breakdown easily, then plan ahead and keep on top of everything.

thank you so much
Reply 4
Original post by romansholiday
My advice would be to find your best revision technique that suits you, and use it to revise little and often throughout the year. For example, I used flashcards, and I WISH I started writing them earlier and even finished them before Christmas/mocks because I would have been in such a strong position for the new year! A lot of the time I was finishing flashcards the day before an exam and cramming which is extremely stressful so don't do it! Also, make sure you revise for mocks, take them seriously, they determine predictions later on.

Look, it's gonna be a stressful year there is no doubt about it, but you'll get through it! There will be times you will "get in your own head" and stress out, I threw up about 10 times before my first exam, had to go to the doctor to get pills to calm me down but I got through it, AND I did well! I got 2 A*s, 8 As and 1 B today so if I can do it, you can :smile:

Thank you so much i am on anti depressant tablets i was meant to come off them half way through year 10 but my mum told the doctors she wanted me on them until the end of year 11. Your advice has really helped thank you
Reply 5
I would say make sure you relax in year 11 and enjoy it. Work hard but don't stress to the extent that you become mentally ill. Grades wise try to get full marks in all your coursework as it will definitely help bring a weak exam up! Make sure you keep up your extracurriculars and look after yourself. Get plenty of sleep and eat well. I started revising properly at the end of Easter and ended up today with 10A*s. Good luck and have a great year :biggrin:
Thank you

I am going into year 11 as well. I did my core science in year 10 and I panicked in the exams so I stared writing a load of crap. I still don't know what I got because I was too scared to go get my result. I think that only God can save us now. :frown:

Just don't panic in the exam and it should all be fine. Panicking before, during or after the exam will just make you feel down and like a piece of human excrement.

I hope I helped........
My best piece of advice would be to listen to your teachers and do past papers.
During the Easter before my GCSEs I just grinded past papers doing every single one per subject and wrote up over one hundred corrections (and silly mistakes.) I constantly went over these sheets until I memorized all of the information. This is especially useful for the sciences as they ask the same questions each year. For example in my biology I gained 15 extra marks simply by use corrections as I wouldn't have known the answers without them.
Overall just remain calm and realise they are only GCSEs - they aren't the be all and end all and with online courses and such you don't need to stress about stellar grades just make sure you can do your best,
Whenever you feel depressed picture yourself at results with amazing results which you and your family can be proud of instead of failing each exam - I promise you that will help you to motivate yourself.
Good luck!
Thank you

Just keep on top of your work and you'll be fine.

Get into a routine of reviewing what you've learned at the end of each day to ensure you fully understand what you're being taught.
Complete homework/coursework at a steady pace, don't leave it all to the last minute (this will only stress you out).
Ask for help if you need it; everyone struggles, and I'm sure your teachers will be more than willing to assist you.

As long as you work hard and apply yourself, you'll be ok. Good luck.
Reply 9
Do as you're told.
Do all your homework.
Don't prat about in class, you need your teachers to give you high predicted grades to get to the University/College that you want.

Do plenty of extracurricular stuff like sport and/or music, no matter how much your peers mock you for it, because it will make you stand out in your applications. Plus, if you don't start doing it now, it's much more difficult to break into it at University or College because people have been doing it since when you can start now.

(and don't care about the opinions of you by people in your year, i guarantee by the time you all part ways, you'll realise that you were only friends with 99% of them because you had to see them every day).
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest