The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bit late to ask now, innit mate?
Reply 2
You really should have researched it more before accepting the place.

What uni is it?
mc_hamster
You really should have researched it more before accepting the place.

What uni is it?

Of course I know the basics, I looked in the prospectus and asked a few questions to the tutors. I am studying it at Brunel.

But for example, I know we will be doing a module called "romance". :redface: But what exactly does that entail? Watching romance movies all day? :wink:

I fear that at some stage we will be asked to perform in our own stage production or something like that. :mad:
Reply 4
I assume by briefly looking at the course structure on the website that it's a practical course as well as theory.
So generally you will be asked to plan and produce short films/ single camera drama etc. Most the time the people in the production team (so you) will maybe involved in acting in the film. But your course won't be assessed on your performance so there's no need to worry about being marked down for dodgy acting.
Any area of the course will involve some watching of specific film genres. Although last year instead of watching a whole film, we watched parts of films and looked at them in terms of editing etc.
Well film is a subject I am very interested in. I love to know how films are made (up to a certain point) and watch all the making-of docs on the DVDs. :biggrin: I also like to understand about pushing boundaries in technology used in films (such as Dolby TrueHD sound, and 1080p/x HD imaging). However, I have no experiences whatsoever in production or filming or acting or whatever.

I would not even know how to operate a camera. Were there students like that when you first started your course?

Also, my main interest in film lies in the SFX and summer blockbusters kind of thing. I am worried that most people on my course will be of the "arty" variety and will have a perfect knowledge of Gone With The Wind and Indian silent movies from the 1930s. :rolleyes: I am not like that at all; in fact, I would prefer to talk about Transformers or the Harry Potter septology!

Were the people on your course mainly fitting my stereotype? :s-smilie:

(btw, I am doing this course because I want to get into movie journalism).
Reply 6
They should teach you how to use the eqipment in workshops. We had a few assignments where we had to film short things each week, learning different aspects of film making. For example sound etc. They won't expect you to know everything before you go.

I went to a pretty useless uni which was one of the reasons I left. Many of the students didn't care about the course at all and only did it as they saw it as a doss course. Which it isn't. The students that were there to learn were open to all aspects of film how ever old it was. Which you should be as a media student. You can't learn about modern film industry without learning about the Hollywood Years and other areas of film.
Reply 7
To the OP: I can't speak of British schools, but as far as American schools go - most schools offer generic film studies programs that are based in theory and have little to no practical filmmaking knowledge. Since you want to be a film critic, I would recommend looking for an institution that has an in-depth theory program with a handful of practical film courses thrown in. If you think that Gone With The Wind is an artsy film, then you should re-examine your career path. Look at the AFI's list of 100 Top Films and watch all of them.

The school I go to now has about 200 film courses. The great thing is that they let you concentrate on a certain department, i.e.: Producing, Directing, Cinematography, Theory, Editing, Screenwriting, Post-Production, etc. Although we have the option of concentrating on a department, all students must go through a core film program that lasts about 2 years before we move on. This gives everyone a good knowledge of filmmaking in all areas. Again, if you just want to be a film critic, take a theory program at almost any university. If you want to be a filmmaker, go to a real film school.
Thanks! :smile:

Anyone else got any advice? Surely someone here must have studied Film & TV Studies before?

I am just getting worried because I have no experience in using film equipment or software. I thought this course would be about watching films at the cinema and then writing essays on them. I will not enjoy the practical element, especially since I don't know how to operate cameras or using editing suites etc. :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Andy Pipkin

Anyone else got any advice? Surely someone here must have studied Film & TV Studies before?

I am just getting worried because I have no experience in using film equipment or software. I thought this course would be about watching films at the cinema and then writing essays on them. I will not enjoy the practical element, especially since I don't know how to operate cameras or using editing suites etc. :s-smilie:

It's hard to help you because you've given us no information on what the class is or at what school. As far as the practical stuff, that's the point of school...to learn.:wink:
aristademis
It's hard to help you because you've given us no information on what the class is or at what school. As far as the practical stuff, that's the point of school...to learn.:wink:

I am studying Film & Television Studies BA at Brunel University, UK. But their website doesn't really tell me what I need to know.
Andy Pipkin
I am studying Film & Television Studies BA at Brunel University, UK. But their website doesn't really tell me what I need to know.

You didn't try very hard. It took me less than two minutes to find the info.:rolleyes:

Film and Television Studies
Andy Pipkin

If you don't know how to operate cameras or use editing suites already then you will learn. It's not that difficult if you focus. I learnt this year having never come across such practices before. Lack of experience doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. You might find enjoyment in the learning process.
Yeah I will enjoy learning I think, but I fear that everyone else will have studied Media Studies and Drama et al in preparation for this course, whereas I did a biological pathway then changed my choice of uni course at the last moment, so I will probably be severely underprepared. :frown:

On the good point, we only have 9 hours of contact time each week. :biggrin:
It's all entry level stuff. Even the third year classes are basic classes. You shouldn't have much to worry about.
My confirmed modules thus far are:

Audio Visual Theory and Practice (term 1)
Critical Methodologies (term 2)
Academic Practice (year long)
Approaches to Dramatic Text (term 1)

There are also optional Poetry & Prose and Romance modules for Term 2, which I really don't want to do but I may have to if I need to do 6 modules. :frown:

Anyone know anything about any of these modules?
Andy Pipkin
My confirmed modules thus far are:

Audio Visual Theory and Practice (term 1)
Critical Methodologies (term 2)
Academic Practice (year long)
Approaches to Dramatic Text (term 1)

There are also optional Poetry & Prose and Romance modules for Term 2, which I really don't want to do but I may have to if I need to do 6 modules. :frown:

Anyone know anything about any of these modules?

I would work on the basis it's a 50/50 split between theory and practical.
donuticus
I would work on the basis it's a 50/50 split between theory and practical.

Yes, but very basic. This is all first year (Freshman) courses in the U.S.
aristademis
Yes, but very basic. This is all first year (Freshman) courses in the U.S.

This is his first year, those are his modules for his freshman year.
donuticus
This is his first year, those are his modules for his freshman year.

You misunderstand. I'm saying his entire program (all three years) are Freshman level courses here. If an 18 year old kid, with no experience can shoot a series of 16 mm films his first year, then the OP shouldn't have trouble shoudling a few mini DV videos his third year.

Latest

Trending

Trending