The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was also rejected- it's a shame they don't at least give me my scores as I'd like to know which competency it was! I have a feeling it was the making effective decisions one, but for all I know it could have been both. It seems strange, as I think I have some really good and relevant work experience but I don't really feel as though I got a chance to tell them why I'd be good for them...but oh well, I'm applying for something else now and I have to go and practice these bloody competencies I guess...I don't want to screw them up twice!

Well done to everyone who got through :smile: and good luck in your interviews!
Original post by gingerwizard
How did you manage that. Bit unfair on people who scored higher than you but werent offered an interview imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its all about being different, they cant knock my commitment and determination :wink:
Original post by Leongreen32
Its all about being different, they cant knock my commitment and determination :wink:

You did well! Obviously the right perso. Read your email. That is not typical of civil service recruitment it is usually so cut and dried. Good luck at interview.
I'm totally confused now - received an email to say my application was incomplete and to follow the link in their email to complete it. If I think I have completed this already then I should ignore the email as it's an error and my application will be one of the ones being reviewed. What?!
Hey guys, I've started to draft some competency statements/ideas for the final 2 competencies listed in the additional information pack, (Delivering at Pace & Managing a quality service). I realise obviously its not another written statement to be submitted however I'm a little confused on how to draft it. The pack states that you should prepare model answers based around the competencies as they may help in your recollection during the interview. Essentially my question is, are you supposed to create another scenario wherein you demonstrated the individual behaviours for each competency ? or would it be more a case of using the STAR approach for each behaviour within the competency ? I'm leaning towards the latter as a more plausible option however I'm unsure. Do any of you guys have any thoughts/feelings about this ?
Original post by daveireland20

On a side note the email said there was an attached guidance document explaining how to prepare etc, however I did not actually receive this, did any of you guys ?

I got the guidance document with the confirmation email after booking the interview.
Original post by dontcallmesammy
I got the guidance document with the confirmation email after booking the interview.

Yea I've received that too buddy, just trying to figure out the best approach for the other two competencies now
Original post by Leongreen32

That's not really how it works in the recruitment drives so apologies, but I don't believe you.
Anyone else get the email about an incomplete application? I'm really panicking now. I completed the application before the deadline at the end of September/beginning of October and whenever I logged into manpower it said my application was completed and thank you for the application. I've had two emails, one about passing the competencies and another to say there was a delay until 21st October. The email I've had today states the application was incomplete and they are keen to see me progress so to complete it by 24th october. Then it states if I think this is an error ignore the email and wait as my application is one of the ones being reviewed. When I click the link in the email to complete my application, it takes me to the HMRC job page for the Senior Tax Professional role which is a completely different job. I know they said to ignore the email if I think it's an error but I'm really worried!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi Everyone, congratulations and commiserations to those who have got the job and those who have not. Has anybody heard anything back from the Birmingham applications as of yet ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mega0448
That's not really how it works in the recruitment drives so apologies, but I don't believe you.

Neither do I. Having worked in the civil service for 8 years and gone through many recruitment campaigns I have never heard of anything like that ever happening.

"I told them I really want the job so they gave me an interview despite failing to meet the required standard in the sift."

When you don't meet the standard at interview just tell them the same and they might just offer you the job 🙄
Original post by Priscal
I just feel that it’s unfair to screen you out based on your competencies having scored high in the online tests.
Anyone know how one can appeal? I think it's definitely worth a try

The tests are the first stage of the application process. You progressed to the second stage which is the competency sift which you weren't successful at. Whether you scored 70% or 100% on the tests makes no difference if your competencies weren't up to the required standard.
Original post by pukahontas
The tests are the first stage of the application process. You progressed to the second stage which is the competency sift which you weren't successful at. Whether you scored 70% or 100% on the tests makes no difference if your competencies weren't up to the required standard.
T

Thanks for emphasising the obvious fact, maybe I was disappointed and the post just reflected my emotion at the time. But, hey such is life you lose some you gain some, I lost this time. It would have just been nice to know the score for future. I am getting over the news anyway, so the job hunting game continues......
Hey guys, I've started to draft some competency statements/ideas for the final 2 competencies listed in the additional information pack, (Delivering at Pace & Managing a quality service). I realise obviously its not another written statement to be submitted however I'm a little confused on how to draft it. The pack states that you should prepare model answers based around the competencies as they may help in your recollection during the interview. Essentially my question is, are you supposed to create another scenario wherein you demonstrated the individual behaviours for each competency ? or would it be more a case of using the STAR approach for each behaviour within the competency ? I'm leaning towards the latter as a more plausible option however I'm unsure. Do any of you guys have any thoughts/feelings about this ?

I think you do both of these things? But maybe I am not understanding fully? You discuss a scenario where you displayed the behaviours for a competency, whilst using the star approach?
Reply 334
Hi everyone. Congratulations and commiserations.
Has anyone heard anything back from the leeds or manchester applications as of yet??
Thanks.
Hi guys, I'm still waiting on the outcome of my competency questions.

For all those who didn't get an interview asking about scores or feedback - I heard from other threads that some have submitted freedom of information requests about any notes/scores/feedback made against their application. If I don't get an interview I'll definitely look more into this and pursue it if possible. Might be worth a try?

Also highly dubious of the candidate who "appealed" for an interview. Recruiters will know full well of the existence of these kind of blogs and the danger of opening the floodgates for interview appeals.

Well done to all those who have progressed and good luck to all of those still waiting!
Original post by Fats258
Hi everyone. Congratulations and commiserations.
Has anyone heard anything back from the leeds or manchester applications as of yet??
Thanks.

I'm Manchester applicant and haven't heard yet. Think will be Friday night to be honest
Original post by Jamiebb1993
Hi guys, I'm still waiting on the outcome of my competency questions.

For all those who didn't get an interview asking about scores or feedback - I heard from other threads that some have submitted freedom of information requests about any notes/scores/feedback made against their application. If I don't get an interview I'll definitely look more into this and pursue it if possible. Might be worth a try?

Also highly dubious of the candidate who "appealed" for an interview. Recruiters will know full well of the existence of these kind of blogs and the danger of opening the floodgates for interview appeals.

Well done to all those who have progressed and good luck to all of those still waiting!

I think he's what's known as a billy B.S
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 338
Anymore updated, was told 17th, then got an email saying there is a delay but I will hear by the 19th, yet still not heard anything back
Reply 339

I've done civil service interviews before and they've been a lot of questions which each relate to a competency (they don't tell you which competency the question is for!) - you've got to give an example of how you met the objective in the question.
Can't think of any examples at the moment but I'm sure there are some online.

It's not stated that you should answer in the STAR format but I think you probably would do it anyway without thinking!

Could be different with this being a different recruitment process though........

Latest

Trending

Trending