The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Student070707
I'm not saying that I don't think anybody should get remarked but I think you have to have a pretty strong reason for doing so.

If you got a C and think you should have got a D your not gonna complain are you? Would you get that remarked? I doubt it. However the otherway round it's a diffrent story! Why???

Maybe you want a higher grade? What? That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. If you got a D in English when you need a C, and you were close to the boundary. You would obviously get a remark. Some people just have high standards. You shouldn't criticise someone for having genuinely high standards. If they knew they deserved a higher grade and they were close to the boundary why not? If you needed one UMS on your english to get an A* why not get it remarked to get that A*? I honestly don't see what is wrong with it? I think the OP is just a bit jealous of people having high standards and thinks they are trying to show off.
Mathemagician. Funny?
I think the OP is just a bit jealous of people having high standards and thinks they are trying to show off.

Ummm... I don't think so. I am very satisfied with my results which were a lot higher than I had expected. So I have no problem with my standards. The issue here isn't really about me though.

Like I have already said I think I some circumstances remarking is acceptable but yes I think sometimes people can be a little bit selfish.
Reply 22
I wanna get my R.S remarked. The exam was far too easy. I couldn't see anywhere where I had lost marks. I was predicted an A*, got A* for all previous exams yet I got a B for the real thing. No way I'm gonna believe that.
And citizenship too. My coursework was perfect, didn't have to improve it or nothing. My teacher said it was fine and it made up 60% of the entire GCSE yet I also came out with a B for that too. Must have done terrible on the exam to get a B, yet I found the exam pretty easy tbh and could swear that I would get a minimum A if not A*.

The third one is biology. I really wanted an A for that and thought I would too, but got a B :frown:

Even though R.S and Citizenship are only worth half a GCSE each, if they both went up from a B to an A/A*, then that would mean I would get one more A or 1 A* and I would be thrilled.

I don't know though. I'm gonna talk with the teachers and have the breakdown of my results to make it easier for me to decide whether or not I should get it remarked because I certainly don't want my marks to go down lol.
i think at GCSEs there is not point in a remark if you're going on to do alevels. Personally to me it only matter that i get enough to move on to the next stage of education. Though it would be nice to get top marks in the process its not really an necessity so a remark is a bit of a waste of money unless you need it to get into sixth form or college.

My advice... accept you didn't get quite what you wanted, move on, and buckle down for another year of studying
generalebriety
Nope. Getting a remark of a paper you don't genuinely believe was badly marked is unfair. Especially when it pushes the remark fees for everyone else up to £45 (why else would they be so high?).

I agree what you say is true, but I don't agree with it on principles.
Pepe Le Poosh
i think at GCSEs there is not point in a remark if you're going on to do alevels. Personally to me it only matter that i get enough to move on to the next stage of education. Though it would be nice to get top marks in the process its not really an necessity so a remark is a bit of a waste of money unless you need it to get into sixth form or college.

My advice... accept you didn't get quite what you wanted, move on, and buckle down for another year of studying

Wow thats like 2 amazing posts in about an hour... How are you doing this :p:
Faiza.
I really wanted an A for that and thought I would too, but got a B :frown:

I wanted an A* in history and PE and thought i would get those but i didn't. Rather than stressing about the past im consentrating on the future.

Its over people. Finished. Ended. Finite!
Reply 27
Pepe Le Poosh

That's true. But I genuinly believe that I didn't deserve those B's :frown:
I still can't believe I went from an A* prediction to a B in R.S, an A prediction to a B in Citizenship, and from an A prediction to a B in Biology.
It feels like it's someone elses results and not mine.
But I guess you're right.
It just wastes money.

P.S. You have a fantastic set of grades :eek:
Smarty Pants :p:
Pepe Le Poosh

Not true. You need your GCSE grades when applying to university, for a start; I just confirmed my offer of a place at Cambridge having sat their entrance exam (STEP) and got four As in my A-levels, and they still wanted to see my GCSE certificates. Worse still, I've heard stories of people being rejected at job interviews for having good A-levels and a decent degree but poor GCSEs. (Not that this should matter, really... one poor GCSE isn't gonna hold you back.)

calcium878
I agree what you say is true, but I don't agree with it on principles.

Carry on?

Faiza.
I wanna get my R.S remarked. The exam was far too easy. I couldn't see anywhere where I had lost marks. I was predicted an A*, got A* for all previous exams yet I got a B for the real thing. No way I'm gonna believe that.
And citizenship too. My coursework was perfect, didn't have to improve it or nothing. My teacher said it was fine and it made up 60% of the entire GCSE yet I also came out with a B for that too. Must have done terrible on the exam to get a B, yet I found the exam pretty easy tbh and could swear that I would get a minimum A if not A*.

The third one is biology. I really wanted an A for that and thought I would too, but got a B

The first two situations are exactly where I'd think a remark was a good idea - when you really genuinely think you've done better. The third situation just sounds like you're being hopeful... but it's your money, do what you like with it. :wink:
Reply 29
Student070707
I wanted an A* in history and PE and thought i would get those but i didn't. Rather than stressing about the past im consentrating on the future.

And GCSEs are your future.
People can do what they like with their money.

Your example of when, in your opinion, a remark is worthwhile is a bit daft. No remark is going to bridge a gap as wide as that.
generalebriety
Carry on?

In the sense of, yes it's unfair, but so is my parents' taxes being used for the Iraq War. Crap happens in the world, you need to look out for yourself and play dirty if needs be.
ok well... university requirement inclusive.

And i know i'm on a roll. Theres something in the water!!!!
Reply 33
Student070707
I'm not saying that I don't think anybody should get remarked but I think you have to have a pretty strong reason for doing so.

If you got a C and think you should have got a D your not gonna complain are you? Would you get that remarked? I doubt it. However the otherway round it's a diffrent story! Why???

Oh my. You're argument is pretty shaky, or maybe you just chose an unfortunate example... First of all...although 'officially' no grade is a fail, most schools/institutions consider anything below a C, a fail - hence many people who thought they should've passed would get their 'D' grade paper remarked.

So assuming that you've just chosen a bad example.. let's pretend that the two grades are C and B. [less urgent reason to remark]

Clearly if you thought you'd get a C and you get a B, you've exceeded your expectations. On the other hand, if you thought you'd get a B and you get a C, you've failed your expectations.

People who e x c e e d as opposed to f a i l their expectations tend to be happier with the outcome and henceforth wouldn't even consider a remark, as you've said.
However, if someone had been predicted a B for the duration of the course and had firmly believed in their ability to achieve the said grade, they would usually be fairly disappointed with the C. If they were to check their exact marks and thought that they could go up to the next grade, depending on subjective marking, that someone would quite possibly consider having their paper remarked.
You also have to keep in mind that in some subjects, the guidelines for marking are less clear than in others and therefore the marking may differ from examiner to examiner - in some cases, going up a grade is quite realistic.

^ So sometimes it really isn't one's fault for slipping a grade marginally - it may just be that the examiner was overly harsh.
AnythingButChardonnay
People can do what they like with their money.

Your example of when, in your opinion, a remark is worthwhile is a bit daft. No remark is going to bridge a gap as wide as that.

You do realise how dumb what you've just said is, right? Please?

Remarks are for when your paper has been wrongly or badly marked. I know someone who jumped from a U to an A after a remark, because it was an obvious ****-up on the part of the examiner. I know someone else who's about to jump from a C to an A*; I know this because I know he's clever and I'm certain (and he's certain) he did better on the exam than anyone who got a C. He's not scavenging for marks, he deserves an A* and someone over at the exam board messed up.

No one can say "I didn't deserve 79%, I deserved 80%!", because it's impossible to tell, and so no one can really justify getting a remark to get one or two extra marks to boost their grade in terms of "my examiner ****ed up". Papers that jump up or down a couple of marks hadn't been badly marked, they're just subjective subjects; exploitation of that ("I'll get a remark just in case my B jumps up to an A, but if it doesn't I'll keep the B") is quite unfair, I think. Not least because it makes the delays so much longer for those who genuinely need and deserve remarks (e.g. AS students demanding remarks when A2 students need them), which means they have to introduce "priority remarks" (which cost twice as much), and all the high remark fees anyway (£45 an exam, is it?).

If you don't believe me, think about what would happen if you sent all your subjects off to be remarked. I know I deserved what I got; the marks might jump up or down by 2 or 3 at most, allowing for a bit of subjectivity, but there'd be no significant changes because I know my exams were fairly marked.

Chi*Chi
People who e x c e e d as opposed to f a i l their expectations tend to be happier with the outcome and henceforth wouldn't even consider a remark, as you've said.

So, what; people who exceed their expectations (but may not actually believe they deserved the higher grade) are acting completely fairly by not getting a remark, but people who don't meet their expectations (and again may not believe they deserved a higher grade) are also acting completely fairly by asking for one? Your argument is no less shaky. If they got an A* but thought they'd earnt a C, of course they wouldn't ask for a remark, just like if you paid for a chocolate bar and left the shop and found you had two, you wouldn't take one back, but if you paid for two chocolate bars and walked out and found you had one, you'd go back. Doesn't make it right at all.

calcium878
In the sense of, yes it's unfair, but so is my parents' taxes being used for the Iraq War. Crap happens in the world, you need to look out for yourself and play dirty if needs be.

Why does it not surprise me that this is your opinion? :p: Anyway, I disagree.
Unbelieveable...you should have every right to get your papers remarked. Its proposterous to expect people to not try everything to get a good grade. People genuinely deserve them.

I relaly dont understand why you are winging. Its of no concern to you or anyone else if someones grades go up or down except the candidate whose paper is being remarked. It seems strange that you care as much in all fairness. People will only get the grad they deserve. Dont forget that.

You can have all the remarks you want...however, an essay written by a C grade candidate will remain a C regardless of the number of remarks. The remarks allow people to rightfully claim whatever grade is thier. I think your in the preconception that every paper that gets remarked is boosted up a grade.

Having ones paper remarked is also risky as you can also go down. Dont forget...not a lot of candidates do evnutally go up a grade. And if they do...its purely on their merit. Do not bad mouth people for trying everything.

Life is not meant to be fair...however remarks allow it to be that much closer.

ChiChi above was absolutely corect in hr views:
People who e x c e e d as opposed to f a i l their expectations tend to be happier with the outcome and henceforth wouldn't even consider a remark
Reply 36
generalebriety
So, what; people who exceed their expectations (but may not actually believe they deserved the higher grade) are acting completely fairly by not getting a remark, but people who don't meet their expectations (and again may not believe they deserved a higher grade) are also acting completely fairly by asking for one? Your argument is no less shaky. If they got an A* but thought they'd earnt a C, of course they wouldn't ask for a remark, just like if you paid for a chocolate bar and left the shop and found you had two, you wouldn't take one back, but if you paid for two chocolate bars and walked out and found you had one, you'd go back. Doesn't make it right at all.

First, it's not quite the matter of whether they "thought they'd earnt" such-and-such a grade or not - a lot of people have a very low self-esteem and would always believe they did not deserve it/just couldn't have gotten such a good grade/etc.

^ I'd say your example with the chocolate isn't the best - a logical fallacy at the very least. It's just not realistic. If you'd walked out with two chocolate bars for the price of one, you "don't deserve it" in the sense that you've just incurred a loss to the shop which now has to absorb the price of one chocolate bar.

Now, sure there are some uber-clever people that just do an exam and walk out with an A*. But the majority of people who got an A* have put some sort of effort in or simply have the capability. The mere fact, that they got the grade shows that they deserve it.

I'll give you an example so you don't rush to disapprove:

After an English literature exam, for example, I may feel like I've done very badly and that I'll just about scrape a C grade. Then on results day however, I'll have found out that I got an A* grade.
Referring back to your post, you said 'Doesn't make it right at all.'
Very clearly, the fact that I did get an A* means that my style of writing was sufficiently sophisticated, that I had written in enough detail etc. In short, that I did indeed deserve it.
To play the devil's advocate, I could also say that I didn't at all deserve the grade in the sense that I didn't revise the tested poems and stories as much as I should have.

^Doesn't however make it any less "right". I obviously didn't need to revise that much. I "paid" for the grade with my capability.

That's for your "walking out with two chocolate bars". It doesn't happen. If you desperately want to use the example with the shop, just think of it like this:

I may have only paid for one chocolate bar, but I gave the cute shop assistant a smile that made him give me one extra [he then proceeded to pay for the other one out of his own pocket]. :p:

And then to the bit where I walk out with one chocolate bar.. Although I'll make this much clear first: You may have misunderstood me. I'm not talking about useless ****abouts that tell themselves they deserve an A* and do nothing about it. I'm talking about people that genuinely have the capability AND put the work in and they just happen to fall in the grey zone i.e. drop a mark or two too much.

Now in subjects like English literature [to stay with the former example], a mark or two are easily given, easily taken.
After carefully looking at their UMS marks and assessing their chances, they apply for a remark. Not at all wrong in my eyes.

So finally, I think you've jumped to conclusions too quickly. My last post was just all about explaining to the OP, why people with a borderline C/D might want to have their papers remarked. :wink:
Chi*Chi
a logical fallacy at the very least. It's just not realistic. If you'd walked out with two chocolate bars for the price of one, you "don't deserve it" in the sense that you've just incurred a loss to the shop which now has to absorb the price of one chocolate bar.

It's really not a logical fallacy. Walking out with a grade higher than the one which your exam script deserved (because for all those people who get marked too low, there must be people who get marked too high) is unfair however you spin it; it's the equivalent of lying, only your exam board will back you up.

Chi*Chi
The mere fact, that they got the grade shows that they deserve it.

Oh; so the mere fact that all the people who are getting their papers remarked got their original grade shows they deserved that grade, does it? Or are you contradicting yourself?

Chi*Chi
And then to the bit where I walk out with one chocolate bar.. Although I'll make this much clear first: You may have misunderstood me. I'm not talking about useless ****abouts that tell themselves they deserve an A* and do nothing about it. I'm talking about people that genuinely have the capability AND put the work in and they just happen to fall in the grey zone i.e. drop a mark or two too much.

If they drop a mark or two too much, they simply didn't revise enough; I'm talking about scavenging marks you didn't deserve. Perhaps this will explain it better:

Chi*Chi
Now in subjects like English literature [to stay with the former example], a mark or two are easily given, easily taken.

Well, exactly. And if someone gets a high C, asks for a remark, and comes out with a B, they'd be convinced they earned and deserved that B, and the examiner was wrong first time round, right? And yet if someone gets a low B, they'd never get it remarked, for fear it'd drop to a C; but they never think "actually, maybe I do deserve a C", they think "a B is what I got, I won't remark because I don't want someone messing up and thinking I deserved a C and making me pay for the privilege", because they think they've earned and deserved that B, so the remark examiner would be getting it wrong. Both ways round, the candidate blames the examiner for the lower grade, whether it's deserved or not. It's a clear exploitation of the subjectivity of such exams.
Some people, like me, are perfectionists. Simple as really. It's good to strive for success.
Reply 39
Tbh, it's not a case about scavenging for marks.
I think most people, no matter how clever they are, ask for remarks because they genuinely believe that they were capable of the next grade and also because they revised enough and answered the questions pretty much perfectly.
People predicted A*s, but ending up getting As/Bs or even Cs in some cases, is slightly dodgy to say the least, especially if they answered every single question just the way it was supposed to be answered and couldn't see a mark lost anywhere.

Latest