The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm assuming 80% + As I got something along the lines of 70% for an A.

I'm not sure though, i'm sure it varies from year to year.
The Stig
I'm assuming 80% + As I got something along the lines of 70% for an A.

I'm not sure though, i'm sure it varies from year to year.

Yeah, about 80-85%. A lot of people I know got one even though we all thought it was one of our worst exams.
It varies every year, but for the AQA A spec, which I did, this year for an A* we needed 455/540 in total, which includes the coursework. So roughly 85%, as it's usually around that. I dunno about other specs, but I assume it's about the same.
Reply 4
purple-girl
It varies every year, but for the AQA A spec, which I did, this year for an A* we needed 455/540 in total, which includes the coursework.

I got 455 marks :biggrin:
Woohoo, that's lucky! I have no idea how many marks I got for anything, other than bio. I'm assuming that I only just scraped the A* in English though.
Reply 6
I think it is 90 % with OCR because I got 87 % in the mocks and the teacher said I was 3 % off an A*. But somehow, in the real exam I only just got an A.
It's 90% with OCR.
270/300 = A*.
Reply 8
I'm with WJEC, anyone know?
It's 90% UMS which is scaled from the raw marks.

About 27/30 roughly equates to 30/30 UMS.
Reply 10
It varies every year, but for the AQA A spec, which I did, this year for an A* we needed 455/540 in total, which includes the coursework. So roughly 85%, as it's usually around that. I dunno about other specs, but I assume it's about the same.

I think that in the exams you needed 46/54 for paper 1, and 48/54 for paper 2.

I only got 44 and 46, so I must have just scraped it with my coursework!

Seriously, get an A* in your coursework.
Hehe, for the coursework I scraped an A* in the speaking and listening (49/54 on all 3) and the media (25/27) and the other 2 I got mid As for, with an A* overall. No idea if I just scraped the A*, or got a mid-high one...most likely just scraped it!
well, for IGCSE's, its not a fixed percentage. It changes with the overall average result. A*'s are given to the top 1-2% of the people who took the exam. this varies from 97 to 98%. take it from the pros, i got my result for english as a first language, language paper this morn...what other than an A*:woo: . i repeat, not sure about GCSE's, if theres a difference.
welshboy17
I'm with WJEC, anyone know?

Your teacher will have your marks. If you're not going back to the same school, you can phone up and get them over the phone I think, or just pop in for a visit.

I got an A*, though I've no idea how. I'm quite sure I messed paper 1 and paper 2, and my coursework was 71/80 so not quite A* standard.

I'm guessing it was low, like, 82 - 85%

Hope that helps!
Reply 14
I want to resit it too but I don't know if a)it will(a retake) look good to Uni's b) my school will let me as I did pass and c) if eng lit or lang will be enough to show them I am good in it.
Malsi101
I want to resit it too but I don't know if a)it will(a retake) look good to Uni's b) my school will let me as I did pass and c) if eng lit or lang will be enough to show them I am good in it.

Universities will know if you resit English Language but regarding whether or not they mind, you're probably best off contacting the universities directly. I know that for Medicine/Dentistry generally a B or above in English Language is sufficient; however, it must be in English Language, not English Literature. This is because it is the norm for schools to do English Language but not all schools opt for students to do English Literature at GCSE level.
I hope this helps.
Reply 16
piece_by_piece
Universities will know if you resit English Language but regarding whether or not they mind, you're probably best off contacting the universities directly. I know that for Medicine/Dentistry generally a B or above in English Language is sufficient; however, it must be in English Language, not English Literature. This is because it is the norm for schools to do English Language but not all schools opt for students to do English Literature at GCSE level.
I hope this helps.

Yes thanks!

Do you think if I didn't have a B in eng lang at GCSE rather a C..but get an A at A level that the C will be overlooked and they won't care as much?Or do you think Im best retaking it as well as the A level.
Malsi101
Yes thanks!

Do you think if I didn't have a B in eng lang at GCSE rather a C..but get an A at A level that the C will be overlooked and they won't care as much?Or do you think Im best retaking it as well as the A level.

Yeah perhaps! Again, you should probably check with the universities though. Also, maybe there are some some medical schools which will allow a B? I'll have a look for you now honey.
Reply 18
piece_by_piece
Yeah perhaps! Again, you should probably check with the universities though. Also, maybe there are some some medical schools which will allow a B? I'll have a look for you now honey.

In general I meant. Im not 100& set on Medicine(like you:p:) so don't worry. I just hope that my better grade at A level will make up for low GCSE. I do think it will. As If I explain my circumstances to them. Plus normally they say B at GCSE if not available at a level:cool: so im happy about that tbh. fingers crossed to doing well now:biggrin:
Malsi101
In general I meant. Im not 100& set on Medicine(like you:p:) so don't worry. I just hope that my better grade at A level will make up for low GCSE. I do think it will. As If I explain my circumstances to them. Plus normally they say B at GCSE if not available at a level:cool: so im happy about that tbh. fingers crossed to doing well now:biggrin:

Sheffield doesn't state which grade for English Language, but wants six A grades overall at GCSE.
Peninsula, Birmingham, Oxford, Cambridge, Newcastle, Durham, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen only require a pass at GCSE level for English Lang and Maths.

Yeah an A at A Level should definitely make up for a C at GCSE though. I'm sure you will do well at A Level :yes:

Latest