The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I can't talk for all universities but I had interviews at Manchester, Cardiff, Nottingham and Bath and the general questions were similar: why pharmacy, why the uni, they may ask a bit about basic pharmacy, like name 5 different ways of administering drugs, name 5 drugs even, one asked me to talk about a drug of my choice for one minute, they'll ask about work experience and if they don't, make sure u mention any u do have. One asked me to point out functional groups in a huge molecule - i think i messed that bit up and i still got an offer. I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Be prepared - read some chemistry books, read a couple of bbc news articles on recent health issues (they like current affairs).
Any more questions about the interview or applying for pharmacy in general, feel free to pm me
petrolhead
ps i'm now a first year pharmacy student at nottingham
Reply 2
Learn about 10 drugs and what they do. Some unis ask you to name 5 drugs in the interview and if you name them they'll ask what they do, expecting you to get it wrong. If you can get that right it'll look good. Learn how they're administered, what they're for, and if you can learn the drug class.

Have pre-prepared answers for "why pharmacy" and "why their university". Also be prepared to talk about something of interest that you've seen in the news recently (bbc health / new scientist / pjonline).

Generally the interviewers are really friendly (especially at bath where its usually really laid back) and know that your nervous so will try to make you feel at ease :smile:

Finally, remember that appearance does matter. Dont go in jeans and a t-shirt. Smart trousers and a shirt (possibly with a tie) should suffice - some people wear suits but thats over the top in my opinion. And arrive in plenty of time - its better to be an hour early and go for a cup of coffee somewhere than be running in hot, sweaty and late :p:
Reply 3
Do u have to know alot about drugs or do u jus need to learn 10drugs to show ur interest?...and does its matter which 10drugs?
Reply 4
Doesnt matter what drugs - but try to pick a range (e.g. not 10 painkillers!) Easiest way to do this is to look in a BNF (www.bnf.org.uk - you can sign up as a student). You dont need to know doses or anything - just what the drug is called and what its used for should be more than sufficient to look really good at interview (half the time the will ask the question expecting people to just reel off paracetamol, aspirin, ibuprofen, penicillin and insulin, and not know anything more interesting)
Reply 5
thanks for the advice :biggrin:
Reply 6
:smile: thanx for the advice everyone....

i got an interview for nottingham

a conditional offer from Aston:ABB

and Bradford(the 5 year course)...invited me for an applicant day

nothing from UCL...jus acknowledgement!!

Latest

Trending

Trending