The Student Room Group

When to Apply? Too late?

I haven't sent in any of my applications yet. I'll hopefully start sending them in the next week or two-- is that late? i'm just waiting for one more reference and i need to finish (i.e. start) my personal statement. when do most students send their applications in? am i running late or doing fine?

current postgrads: if any of you sent your applications in december, around what time of year did you hear back?

thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not at all. If you're good enough, you will get a place. Time of application shouldn't make a difference as long as you're within the deadline :smile:.
Reply 2
pgce initial deadlines are december time, and certain university courses at oxbridge ask for early deadlines (i *think*). funding councils ask for application sometime in the newyear around easter. generally speaking, deadlines are often later. do you knnow when your deadlines actually are?
I sent mine a few months before the course started and got accepted. It doesn't really matter, if they want you (and have a place) they will take you.
Reply 4
well that's the point - competitive courses may not have a place if the deadline is very early in the academic year. you can NOT be late for a funding council deadline otherwise you will simply be rejected by the admin office, no questions asked.
Reply 5
Noticed that most of Oxford's were either 23rdish November or 18th of Jan - depends on what field it's in

Others tend to be open, unless you're wanting to apply for funding
Reply 6
all the courses i'm applying to say they don't have a deadline. so i know that i'm not technically late, but i wanted to know when most students send in their applications. if the majority of students have already submitted theirs, i'll be at a disadvantage.

i meant to send mine in october but.. you know... work/school/giant fire trying to burn my city down/other excuses kind of got in the way.
Reply 7
I've not sent mine yet, just waiting for references
Reply 8
mariahb
I haven't sent in any of my applications yet. I'll hopefully start sending them in the next week or two-- is that late? i'm just waiting for one more reference and i need to finish (i.e. start) my personal statement. when do most students send their applications in? am i running late or doing fine?

current postgrads: if any of you sent your applications in december, around what time of year did you hear back?

thanks!

I just did a bunch of applications in the last few days, they are very easy.
A heck of a lot easier than anything I filled out for my undergrad here in the usa.
so you shouldnt have too much problem being crunched for time. I think the St. Andrews application seriously took me 10 minutes to complete.
Reply 9
I plan to send mine monday, right now im just focusing on portfolio stuff :/
Reply 10
It's never too late - except after the deadline :tongue:

I only sent off mine 10 days ago, as long as you do it in the next few days, you should have offers by Christmas! :smile:
Reply 11
thanks guys. i better start working on that personal statement!
Reply 12
scooter
I just did a bunch of applications in the last few days, they are very easy.
A heck of a lot easier than anything I filled out for my undergrad here in the usa.
so you shouldnt have too much problem being crunched for time. I think the St. Andrews application seriously took me 10 minutes to complete.

You obviously didn't apply to Oxbridge, where they needed photos/personal statements/x copies of everything :p:
Reply 13
All in a large envelope, unfolded.
Seriously, how can the folding be that much of a problem?
Reply 14
coldfish
All in a large envelope, unfolded.
Seriously, how can the folding be that much of a problem?

Folding? What the hell? What does that have to do with the rest of the thread? :confused:
Reply 15
anyone know a nice way to ask a professor to hurry up with a reference? i asked her about 6 weeks ago and she hasn't finished even though she said it would only take her a few weeks. i don't want to be rude b/c i'm sure she's busy, but i'm leaving the country next week and i'd really like to get a few applications out before that.
Reply 16
mariahb
anyone know a nice way to ask a professor to hurry up with a reference? i asked her about 6 weeks ago and she hasn't finished even though she said it would only take her a few weeks. i don't want to be rude b/c i'm sure she's busy, but i'm leaving the country next week and i'd really like to get a few applications out before that.

I had the same problem. Have you already sent a few polite emails? If you have, go visit her. You don't want to be rude as you say, but at the same time, if they said they would do it within a specific time period and they haven't, then that's rude as well. If they are insanely busy and don't have any time for us normal folk, like mine, then go to the departmental secretary, find out their timetable, then stalk them, or linger outside their office. I ended up lurking outside classrooms that I knew he was teaching in, so I could grab him at the end. You just have to be persistent really!
Reply 17
Call during her office hour, brimming with enthusiasm, tell her you're making great progress on your application, thank her for her support, and casually mention that the only thing still missing so you can send the damn thing off is her reference, really.:p:
rottcodd
I had the same problem. Have you already sent a few polite emails? If you have, go visit her. You don't want to be rude as you say, but at the same time, if they said they would do it within a specific time period and they haven't, then that's rude as well. If they are insanely busy and don't have any time for us normal folk, like mine, then go to the departmental secretary, find out their timetable, then stalk them, or linger outside their office. I ended up lurking outside classrooms that I knew he was teaching in, so I could grab him at the end. You just have to be persistent really!

oh gee! i have the same situation. one of the professors already submitted my reference for me but i am waiting for the other one. and iam leaving the country next week as well! will be damned if have to wait over x'mas!!! argh
in fact i just sent her an email... told her my time constraint and at leat i hope to have my cambridge reference before i leave coz u only got 3 weeks to send the paper materials after submitting online.
argh
sigh she must think i am rude. even i tried to be as polite and as apologetic as i could foe the inconvenience it may have caused her. she's a nice lady but i know still:frown: and i only asked her like one week ago. my fault lol:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending