The Student Room Group

Revising for GCSE English Paper 2 - Poems from Different Cultures

Hey guys,

Got my English mock next week for, and was worried about the poems from different cultures essay. Whenever we've had essays on these in class/homework I've got As and A*s but have had to spend at least 2 hours on them and only get 45 mins in the exam, in addition I have my notes to use when doing the homeworks..

Was hoping for some useful advice to improve the time it takes to write an essay.. and hopefully write one with the same quality but less quantity.. I guess I'm worried if I write less then I won't get as many marks.. :s-smilie:
I sat this last year because our school does one one year and another the next. Poetry is what I think of as my weak point but it ended up ok and I got an A overall. Our school made us use the damned PEE system (point, evidence, explanation), which I managed to get to grips with and if you don't mind that it allows practically no literary freedom of expression then it's good to use. Otherwise, use your brain. I had a habit of writing everything I could in the exam...sorry this isn't turning out to be much practical advice for you. I can't think what was wanted. On the Lit. course we're using a retarded system called SMILE (Structure, Meaning, Imagery, Language, Effect On Reader), oh god don't get me started.

Good luck and it's only mocks so try not to worry about them. I didn't because I'd already applied to all of my colleges, so I had no reason to worry...
Reply 2
Matthewsimpson
I sat this last year because our school does one one year and another the next. Poetry is what I think of as my weak point but it ended up ok and I got an A overall. Our school made us use the damned PEE system (point, evidence, explanation), which I managed to get to grips with and if you don't mind that it allows practically no literary freedom of expression then it's good to use. Otherwise, use your brain. I had a habit of writing everything I could in the exam...sorry this isn't turning out to be much practical advice for you. I can't think what was wanted. On the Lit. course we're using a retarded system called SMILE (Structure, Meaning, Imagery, Language, Effect On Reader), oh god don't get me started.

Good luck and it's only mocks so try not to worry about them. I didn't because I'd already applied to all of my colleges, so I had no reason to worry...

Ha thanks.. Same are school does one exam one year than the other the next.. In the first England mock I did get an A* , and could have got full marks if it weren't for a stupid error!

We do Point Quote Comment which is the same as your PEE I guess, and I find that pretty easy to use, it's just memorisng the facts!

I think what I'll do is have a look at my past essays and see where I was getting the marks, and not bother putting in the things that weren't getting marks? Or is that a bad idea?
Reply 3
I know what you mean! 45 mins is really not enough. I did my mocks in November and there were a few things which I really noticed helped me.

1) Always do a plan (although you probably do anyway if you're getting marks like that) and don't spend more than five minutes on it.
2) A few days before the exam, write out some introductions for different topics (e.g. identity, traditions, culture) which you can tweak in the exam and learn them. I tend to find the introduction makes or breaks an essay for me and I tend to waste time on it. Knowing exactly what to write will help.
3) Learn the analysis of the poems so well that you could practically write about them without even seeing them. I learnt the analysis by printing out unanalysed poems and seeing how much I could recall from my Anthology (so basically write out all your notes again on the blank poem to see how much you can remember). I then compared my notes with the new analysis and learnt the stuff which I had forgotten. This stops you from getting stuck so you can write continuously.
4) Always have the same structure for your essays so you know exactly what you are going to write about next. The one I use tends to follow this pattern: Introduction, compare structure, compare literary devices (similes etc), compare the poet's attitude, compare themes, conclusion.
5) Remember that you only need to make one point for each literary technique to get the mark, so don't waste time repeating yourself just for one mark. Don't write "In this poem, there are similes here and it shows this, and there are similes here that show this and again here" because provided the examiner knows that there are simles somewhere in the poem and that you realise they are there for a purpose (and explain the purpose and compare to the other poem), you will only get set of marks.

EDIT: 6) And finally, learn which poems you can/want to compare for each topic, so when you walk into the exam and you see the word "identity" or "traditions" or "culture" or something else in the question, you immediately think "ah! I will compare these two poems" and don't have to waste time deciding.
Reply 4
aeiou81
I know what you mean! 45 mins is really not enough. I did my mocks in November and there were a few things which I really noticed helped me.

1) Always do a plan (although you probably do anyway if you're getting marks like that) and don't spend more than five minutes on it.
2) A few days before the exam, write out some introductions for different topics (e.g. identity, traditions, culture) which you can tweak in the exam and learn them. I tend to find the introduction makes or breaks an essay for me and I tend to waste time on it. Knowing exactly what to write will help.
3) Learn the analysis of the poems so well that you could practically write about them without even seeing them. I learnt the analysis by printing out unanalysed poems and seeing how much I could recall from my Anthology (so basically write out all your notes again on the blank poem to see how much you can remember). I then compared my notes with the new analysis and learnt the stuff which I had forgotten. This stops you from getting stuck so you can write continuously.
4) Always have the same structure for your essays so you know exactly what you are going to write about next. The one I use tends to follow this pattern: Introduction, compare structure, compare literary devices (similes etc), compare the poet's attitude, compare themes, conclusion.
5) Remember that you only need to make one point for each literary technique to get the mark, so don't waste time repeating yourself just for one mark. Don't write "In this poem, there are similes here and it shows this, and there are similes here that show this and again here" because provided the examiner knows that there are simles somewhere in the poem and that you realise they are there for a purpose (and explain the purpose and compare to the other poem), you will only get set of marks.

EDIT: 6) And finally, learn which poems you can/want to compare for each topic, so when you walk into the exam and you see the word "identity" or "traditions" or "culture" or something else in the question, you immediately think "ah! I will compare these two poems" and don't have to waste time deciding.

Thanks, that is really useful useful advice, that should help others too..

I don't actually write plans, I never do in fact lol.

The introductions and structure points are something are teacher has already tried to sort out for us, giving is excellent introductions for each poem.. I've just got to learn them now.

Do you know if you write one whole good point ie.. The use of this metaphor... quote shows that... , is that one mark? Or can you get more than one mark?

For anyone else taking this exam, a good tip my teacher taught us is to include one final "golden nugget" point in the conclusion, something that you haven't mentioned before, that will stun the examiner!

Also try and summarise the poem in the introduction once, and then don't waste any time telling the story, the examiners already know it, and there aren't additional marks for doing it.
Reply 5
My teacher gets really annoyed if we don't write plans, so I've learnt to escape trouble by writing one. They help a bit, but I've written so many essays that I tend to plan in my head so it's all for show. A written one doesn't help me much either.

I don't think the mark scheme says "give one mark for PEE of a metaphor", but I think by recognising a metaphor and explaining it it catapaults you into a mark category (for example, A or A*) and from that and the rest of the essay, the examiner decides the mark category before deciding how many points of that category and the one above it hits. I think they decide how many marks you get from the number of bullet points it hits in that/the next category. By repeating the point ("This is another metaphor..." etc) you are not pushing yourself up into the next category so you are wasting time.

Good luck, you'll be fine!

Latest

Trending

Trending