The Student Room Group

Cambridge Engineering Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
I'm not certain Peterhouse will be the same but for the John's interview we were also given questions to look at before interview.

They put a paper with six questions online a week before the interviews and the idea was we prepared one questions. In the interview we were asked to show how we had solved the question and then asked some extension on it (either to solve it in a different way or a slightly modified version etc). This pretty much simulates an engineering supervision which seems to be the purpose (some of the questions were directly taken from first year examples :p:.
I imagine the general idea of the peterhouse ones will be of the same though the exact set up will inevitably vary slightly

The math/physics tests for engineering tend to vary more so you need to check with someone from the correct college. John's test was just a high speed brain dump of A level maths and further maths with no real thought, whereas Trinity appears to have longer questions where you're expected to actually think about them to some degree ( they have a specimen paper online somewhere).
Thanks for all of your kind comments! They are indeed very helpful. :smile:

@aKarma
I thought John asks for TSA? It's stated so from the website. I'm actually trying to avoid TSA as I prefer tests on Mathematics. They are just much more easier than trying to figure out what's the flaw in an argument. :redface:
Reply 582
Original post by strategist
@aKarma
I thought John asks for TSA? It's stated so from the website. I'm actually trying to avoid TSA as I prefer tests on Mathematics. They are just much more easier than trying to figure out what's the flaw in an argument. :redface:

John's used to offer TSA but switched to the maths mini exam the year I applied (2009 cycle). They did it again for the following two sets so I imagine they are keeping it. I think most places are either ignoring the TSA results now/changing it as they've found no link with Tripos performance

When I applied I thought I was going to do TSA. Due to a mess up with admin we also only got the invitations to interview ~2 weeks in advance and we found out at that point there would be some unspecified maths test :tongue: When I turned up, I was still unsure (as were all the other hopefuls) whether we'd be sitting TSA as well. Turns out (thankfully) we weren't.

I imagine they've also polished the procedure since when I applied, as for the test we were just told 'You can't possibly answer all the questions in the time given, good luck.' Pretty much the only info I had before I opened the paper.
Has anyone here been involved in the CUED/MIT exchange scheme??
Reply 584
Hi,

How much emphasis do colleges put on TSA results for admissions to engineering?

Also, would i be at a disadvantage because I haven't studied critical thinking in year 12?

Thanks,
Invic
Original post by invic

Original post by invic
Hi,

Also, would i be at a disadvantage because I haven't studied critical thinking in year 12?

Thanks,
Invic

I can't answer your first question, however I wouldn't worry about critical thinking, they're not really fussed about either that or general studies.
I'm guessing Cambridge as I know all the courses at Ox that require TSA. Erm from what I can gather it is quite significant as it is there way of distinguishing candidates and the way they thing. Because they use the test for a variety of courses I think due to the nature of engineering the critical thinking will bear less of a significance than the problem solving part. As for CT A level, no you will not, as long as you are logical and have a brain it shouldn't be a hinderance. Find out the colleges that require it, I know for economics some don't require it.

I'd say it'd be a nice back up to know you did really well because it's taken at interview, so if interviews don't treat you well. It might sway it for you.
Reply 587
Thanks for the advice,

@jameswhughes i was meaning that i might be at a disadvantage in the tsa exam because I haven't done critical thinking. the ideas seem to be quite similar.
Original post by invic

Original post by invic
Thanks for the advice,

@jameswhughes i was meaning that i might be at a disadvantage in the tsa exam because I haven't done critical thinking. the ideas seem to be quite similar.

Oh, didn't realize you meant that, sorry.
Reply 589
Original post by invic
Thanks for the advice,

You won't be. I'm not sure how important the TSA is, but believe me the interview(s) will be much, much more important.
Reply 590
Original post by invic
Hi,

Thanks,
Invic
We didn't have TSA, although it was one of the few colleges that didn't that year. From what I've heard many colleges don't like it and are getting rid of it.
Reply 591
What subject should I drop ?? Help ? Need advice ! :confused::confused:
I'm a student currently just finished my year 12 and starting year 13 now:
I attend a grammar school:
And I recently got my AS grades from my subjects which were
Maths: A
Further Maths: A
Physics: A
Product Design: A
Business & Economics: B
General Studies: C
At my school general studies is compulsory- unfortunately and do Cambridge look at it ?
My University goal is Cambridge Engineering - and I'm not sure whether I should drop Business & Economics or Drop Product Design - Is product Design seen as a soft subject not worthy of proper grading at Cambridge ??
Also other factors I only got 2 A star's at GCSE and 7 A's with 2 B's (But the school I attended for my GCSE's was a really small school- So would Cambridge take this into consideration ? ? )
I plan to work hard to get 4 A - star's at A-level! - So the overall question am I worthy for Cambridge ??
Thanks' for anyone who reads this post and can help me out here :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 592
I'd say you'd be more considered with Product Design over Business Studies. With our Product design course i think 3d modelling and that sort of stuff, technical drawings etc will be really helpful on an engineering course. As far as i know they are both considered soft subjects aswell but its upto you (Y)
Reply 593
Aha - well I didn't know Business & Economics was a soft subject as well - interesting :biggrin: it's given me more to think about - thanks :smile:

But do you think I could apply for Cambridge Engineering with my grades or not ?

Thanks - much appreciated :smile:
Reply 594
Cambridge don't mind people taking Product Design if they apply for Engineering I believe. But your chances wouldn't be that much different with either since you have Further Maths and Physics. Is there no chance you can pick up Chemistry AS?

As for your GCSE school, size doesn't matter. Average performance matters. If you were better than everyone there then it'll go in your favour.
Reply 595
I'd say just have a quick look on Ucas at what grades they're asking for, that should give you a rough idea on what they want :smile:
Reply 596
that's really obvious mate, business and economics is the least erlevant out of your AS levels, drop that
Cambridge don't look at General Studies, I got an interview last year and I only scraped a D in it :teehee:
i will be having my interview in a few weeks time (overseas interview) and after I went through a mock interview I was told to brush up on my part about "practical work experience". Stuffs like fixing bikes, broken lamps etc or to "make things move", something which I have virtually zero experience. Is that really necessary? :frown: Or is there anyway you could convey your passion in engineering instead of going too theoretical and academic? Are practical works really a must?
Original post by strategist
i will be having my interview in a few weeks time (overseas interview) and after I went through a mock interview I was told to brush up on my part about "practical work experience". Stuffs like fixing bikes, broken lamps etc or to "make things move", something which I have virtually zero experience. Is that really necessary? :frown: Or is there anyway you could convey your passion in engineering instead of going too theoretical and academic? Are practical works really a must?

Hey, don't worry about it. It's not that necessary. I had no work experience at all when I applied and still got in :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending