The Student Room Group

Cambridge Engineering Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Does anyone know what type of questions they can ask in the interview? Also, if any one can assist me on the content of the Robinson college exam that would be great!
Reply 781
Original post by zimzia
Does anyone know what type of questions they can ask in the interview? Also, if any one can assist me on the content of the Robinson college exam that would be great!

Hey, well done on getting an interview. What are your stats?
Original post by gideongaspard
Im in the same position as the the person who made this, I have to do my maths (edexcel) a level in 1 year that seems quite a task tbh, C1/C2/M1 in January and C3/C4/S1 in June while I have 2 physics papers and 2 chemistry papers so 7 exams in January (OCR Science). Is that difficult do some people have harder tasks?

I'm doing further maths, so have to do C1, C2, FP1 and a physics module in Jan, then C3, C4, M1, D1, my biology, physics and chemistry modules in June, so yes, count yourself lucky
Reply 783
Hi all, I'm currently in the cypriot army for 2 years (graduated from secondary school in May 2012). Having completed my A levels, I'm thinking of studying General engineering at Cambridge, but feel that my 3rd A level (Economics) of which will be picked for my application is a bit irrelevant to the course or will be considered weak by the uni and hence reject me.

My three A-levels are A* Pure maths, A Physics and A Eco
(I also have an A* in Fine art)

I've looked into doing an extra a level, Further maths of which will definitely be beneficial for me as I can take mechanic modules in order to strengthen my physics background.

Yet, I'm not sure whether its worth the time and effort as I do have a strong background in extra-curriculum activities so I'm wonderring whether I would just be picked with the attributes I have at the moment.

Has anyone been accepted to Cambridge WITHOUT an A level in Further Maths?
Reply 784
Original post by Sawedoff
Hi all, I'm currently in the cypriot army for 2 years (graduated from secondary school in May 2012). Having completed my A levels, I'm thinking of studying General engineering at Cambridge, but feel that my 3rd A level (Economics) of which will be picked for my application is a bit irrelevant to the course or will be considered weak by the uni and hence reject me.

I've looked into doing an extra a level, Further maths of which will definitely be beneficial for me as I can take mechanic modules in order to strengthen my physics background.

Yet, I'm not sure whether its worth the time and effort as I do have a strong background in extra-curriculum activities so I'm wonderring whether I would just be picked with the attributes I have at the moment.

Extra curriculars mean very little to Cambridge - in all honesty, you're probably better off just doing Further Maths as it'll increase your chances.
Reply 785

Hello, I am also from Cyprus. Normally, most colleges tend to consider A level in Further Maths essential while others just prefer you to have obtain it, even on AS level, however most probably it would strengthen your application if you did FM. Also, depending on the nature of your extra-curriculum activities (i.e. to what extend they are relevant to Engineering) they could definitely help you to stand out among other students that have the same qualifications, so that's another reason why to start FM.The admission process in each college differs to some degree. Have a look on the following links concerning the admission for engineering on all golleges.

http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/guide/table1.html
http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/guide/table3.html

Good Luck
Reply 786
Original post by michael13
Hello, I am also from Cyprus. Normally, most colleges tend to consider A level in Further Maths essential while others just prefer you to have obtain it, even on AS level, however most probably it would strengthen your application if you did FM. Also, depending on the nature of your extra-curriculum activities (i.e. to what extend they are relevant to Engineering) they could definitely help you to stand out among other students that have the same qualifications, so that's another reason why to start FM.The admission process in each college differs to some degree. Have a look on the following links concerning the admission for engineering on all golleges.

Good Luck

Thank you for your help :smile:

It states here though at
http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/guide/requirements.html

Table 1 might seem to indicate that if you are not doing Further Maths there are very few Colleges that might admit you. This is far from the truth. In practice, about a third of the students admitted to study Engineering at Cambridge have not done Further Maths A Level. What Colleges are looking for is high ability in mathematics. Colleges are aware that not all schools offer Further Maths A Level, and will not discriminate against applicants who have not had the opportunity to take it. However, if your school or college is able to offer Further Maths or you can access it through the Further Mathematics Support Programme, you are strongly encouraged to study this. If Further Maths is not available or you have recognised its desirability too late, we would advise you to do as much additional pure maths and mechanics as possible, e.g. by taking standalone modules or Further Maths AS Level. If offered by your school/college, you might also consider taking STEP or AEA Maths.

My school did not provide Futher maths, Pure Maths was considerred the strongest subject to take for high achievers. Any thoughts on this?
Reply 787
Thank you for your help :smile:

It states here though at
http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/guide/requirements.html

My school did not provide Futher maths, Pure Maths was considerred the strongest subject to take for high achievers. Any thoughts on this?

The a-level further maths consists mandatorily of the modules FP1 and either FP2 or FP3 and then you are free to add whatever you like except the core ones*. So, while a-level Pure maths is indeed stronger that a-level Maths, the combination of a-level maths and a-level further maths can exhibit more satisfactorily your ability in maths since not only you get to have the same modules as a-level pure maths but you have also 6 additional units, which in case these include mechanics can make your qualifications more appealing. *I'm refering to edexcel's specification.

I do not feel that your application would not be prefered in case you don't have FM as an a-level and as a matter of fact economics can be quite linked to engineering, however, if you have the chance and the time to do FM I believe that since you got the A* in pure maths you could do pretty well on it too.
By the way, in which city do you live if you don't mind me asking and when do you plan to apply?

Cheers
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 788
The a-level further maths consists mandatorily of the modules FP1 and either FP1 or FP3 and then you are free to add whatever you like except the core ones*. So, while a-level Pure maths is indeed stronger that a-level Maths, the combination of a-level maths and a-level further maths can exhibit more satisfactorily your ability in maths since not only you get to have the same modules as a-level pure maths but you have also 6 additional units, which in case these include mechanics can make your qualifications more appealing. *I'm refering to edexcel's specification.

I do not feel that your application would not be prefered in case you don't have FM as an a-level and as a matter of fact economics can be quite linked to engineering, however, if you have the chance and the time to do FM I believe that since you got the A* in pure maths you could do pretty well on it too.
By the way, in which city do you live if you don't mind me asking and when do you plan to apply?

Cheers

Does anyone know the engineering entrance tests for Trinity? Does it involve a TSA or pre-interview paper? (I have checked the Cambridge website already and interested in whether what they displayed on their website is true)
Reply 789
Original post by micboy
Does anyone know the engineering entrance tests for Trinity? Does it involve a TSA or pre-interview paper? (I have checked the Cambridge website already and interested in whether what they displayed on their website is true)

At Trinity you are expected to sit a test that includes questions from pure maths, statistics, physics and mechanics. Afterwards, you attend an interview to discuss your solutions. The information on the website of the department of engineering that concerns the admission processes is most likely to be applicable and it seems up to date.

Here you can find a sample paper; http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=86&subid=21
Reply 790
The a-level further maths consists mandatorily of the modules FP1 and either FP2 or FP3 and then you are free to add whatever you like except the core ones*. So, while a-level Pure maths is indeed stronger that a-level Maths, the combination of a-level maths and a-level further maths can exhibit more satisfactorily your ability in maths since not only you get to have the same modules as a-level pure maths but you have also 6 additional units, which in case these include mechanics can make your qualifications more appealing. *I'm refering to edexcel's specification.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply.

I might as well sit individual units in mechanics given all this time I have. :tongue:
As long as Oxbridge understands..

I live in Limassol, how about you? Are you in school?
Planning on applying this year early autumn.
Reply 791
Thanks for your reply.

I might as well sit individual units in mechanics given all this time I have. :tongue:
As long as Oxbridge understands..

I live in Limassol, how about you? Are you in school?
Planning on applying this year early autumn.

So do I and I still attend school. Do not worry, they will understand.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi Guys,

I was wondering which of the colleges are the least caring about Further Maths A level. I know Sidney Sussex seems to be ok with out it without out taking STEP. Also, would cambridge be able to know which subjects are on offer at your school so if you didn't take a good subject that the school offered would they be able to find out?

Thanks,
bump/
Reply 794
Original post by ZombieSausage13
Hi Guys,

I was wondering which of the colleges are the least caring about Further Maths A level. I know Sidney Sussex seems to be ok with out it without out taking STEP. Also, would cambridge be able to know which subjects are on offer at your school so if you didn't take a good subject that the school offered would they be able to find out?

Thanks,

These two should answer your question. With regards to difficulties in schooling, you have ample opportunity to talk about those and give reasons for such things on your Supplementary Application Questionnaire, filled in separately from UCAS.
Original post by ZombieSausage13
Also, would cambridge be able to know which subjects are on offer at your school so if you didn't take a good subject that the school offered would they be able to find out?

They don't know which subjects are offered by your school, but they do (I'm pretty sure) keep some data on previous applicants they've had from your school. So, if previous applicants from your school have had the same subjects as you plus Further Maths, they will wonder why you don't.

Whether this data is held on a college or entire university basis I don't know.
Reply 796
Basically, you are paying tuition fees for lectures that you don't understand and notes that are not comprehensible. You get rubbish supervisors who sometimes don't even understand what the hell they are talking about.

Third year now, I have still got two supervisions tomorrow, nothing done.

Any engineers?

When I googled 'Cambridge Engineering is rubbish', all results I saw were 'am I good enough to get into cambridge?' 'what grades need to get into Engineering in Cambridge?'.. Why are people so keen to get in and suffer? Why no one is telling the truth that Cambridge sucks at Undergraduate Education? They care about their research more than educating. Every time you complain all response you get is:' It would require too much administration work to change the current system...'
Reply 797
Original post by hmmwhat
Why are people so keen to get in and suffer?

They want a good degree.

And I can tell you, on the continent things are not better at all. In Switzerland e.g. you don't have to apply to enter the ETH (one of the top technical institutes of the world). So a lot of people want to go there. And then... they get (nearly) literally shot down by an extreme work load and very difficult subjects without proper help. So their system is to accept everyone, put them through hell and see who remains. At least, Cambridge tries to weed out a lot of unsuitable candidates at the beginning, so they're more interested in keeping those that they have selected.
Reply 798
Original post by hmmwhat
Basically, you are paying tuition fees for lectures that you don't understand and notes that are not comprehensible. You get rubbish supervisors who sometimes don't even understand what the hell they are talking about.

Third year now, I have still got two supervisions tomorrow, nothing done.

Any engineers?

When I googled 'Cambridge Engineering is rubbish', all results I saw were 'am I good enough to get into cambridge?' 'what grades need to get into Engineering in Cambridge?'.. Why are people so keen to get in and suffer? Why no one is telling the truth that Cambridge sucks at Undergraduate Education? They care about their research more than educating. Every time you complain all response you get is:' It would require too much administration work to change the current system...'

I completely disagree with you.

Yes, you get the odd bad supervisor, and yes you get the odd set of incomprehensible notes, but on the whole the course is very well organised.

I would suggest that you should see your college tutorial officer and have a chat with them because if you've done nothing for 2 supervisions then you must be falling behind. I had 4 in 2 days and it's just a case of staying on top of the work throughout term.
Reply 799
Original post by wibletg
I completely disagree with you.

Thanks... he had me worried now. I'm going to start Engineering in October. ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending