The Student Room Group

Cambridge Modern and Medieval Languages (MML) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
hey guys!
im already at cambridge studying this degree combination (Arabic + MML) and technically your faculty is AMES so if I were you i'd simply send in what the AMES faculty say to send in. If the MML one wants another essay than they'll just ask for it... combining ames + mml is always a bit confusing, even when you're studying here...

and btw i didnt do any arabic preparation - i.e. i had barely any idea what was going on the region, the sole extent of my knowledge was that the USA had invaded Iraq a while back, and i hadnt read any literature, and knew no history. lol and im still here. tbh you had to show that you had a passion in at least some area. for me this was the linguistics and grammar of languages, and i felt i got this across quite well. i wouldnt bother learning about the topics that aren't actually what interest you.
thats_attractive
Ooh, Robinson... I was going to apply there, but had a last-minute change of heart! Choosing Downing college at the 11th hour :p:
I went to a Robinson open day though, maybe I saw you there..?

And we're not doing literature this year for coursework, we've been made to do 1 piece on the Civil War, and the other is free reign!
The books I've read have been on my own time :cool: So far I've read No se lo digas a nadie, and I'm about to finish Lazarillo de Tormes :biggrin:

no you didnt because i didnt go!
NO LIT!!
hmmm...

in my free time im reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "Cronica de una muerte anunciada", "El coronel no tiene quien le escriba" and "La hojarasca"...i ATTEMPTED "cien anos de soledad" but it's soo difficult.
Reply 382
yellowwdaisy
if you ask me, thats a little short- they want to see how you develop an argument in an essay- which you cant really do so much in 250 words
but dont worry to much if thats all you send in- im sure most other candidates likely havent written longer essays
I picked one of our set homeworks and wrote it much longer than usual- I know your not supposed to write special essays for oxbridge, but I didn't get it pre-marked- I just knew I was capable of writing a good discursive essay in french but didnt usually bother because I never felt pushed in french

I just emailed the college and they like pieces between 1000-3000 words, I am screwed! Even if I finished my coursework 2 months early (which I've barely done a plan for now) thats only going to be 450-500 words :frown::frown::frown:
I'm thinking of sending in my RE coursework on the ethics of eating meat which is 7000 words but will that make it seem like Im more dedicated to philosophy than french?

I don't know what to do!! :cry:
Wren
I just emailed the college and they like pieces between 1000-3000 words, I am screwed! Even if I finished my coursework 2 months early (which I've barely done a plan for now) thats only going to be 450-500 words :frown::frown::frown:
I'm thinking of sending in my RE coursework on the ethics of eating meat which is 7000 words but will that make it seem like Im more dedicated to philosophy than french?

Eh... They don't want language pieces that long. You won't even have to write pieces that long in your languages during your first 2 or 3 years here.

When I applied, I sent 2 French pieces, I think about an average of 300 words in length each. I also sent a business studies essay to show what my written English was like, I'm not sure how long it was.... 3 pages handwritten maybe.
Reply 384
Happiness
Eh... They don't want language pieces that long. You won't even have to write pieces that long in your languages during your first 2 or 3 years here.

When I applied, I sent 2 French pieces, I think about an average of 300 words in length each. I also sent a business studies essay to show what my written English was like, I'm not sure how long it was.... 3 pages handwritten maybe.

That is such a relief, thank you!
Wren

they dont want to see coursework- they want to see something you realled off one night for an ordinary piece of homework (which you can extend to spending 6-7 hrs on that normal piece of homework and checking it through carefully before you hand it in)

I may be wrong- but I think they need to see your written french in essay form- just ask your teacher to give you an essay title, research and plan carefully and do what you can before the deadline. mine certainly wasnt more than 1300 words
Reply 386
Sorry, I would've put this under 'Cambridge Colleges and Courses' but for some reason it wouldn't let me post. :confused:

Anyway, I'm really beginning to panic about my interview (assuming I'll get one) and wondering if I've read enough to talk about... (for literature, not linguistics).

So just wondering for linguists at Cambridge, exactly how many books did you read before your interview? Or for linguists applying, how much have you read?
You can't make threads in that forum. You can only post in existing threads there. (One thread per college and one per course). I'll put this in with the MML thread :smile:
Reply 388
i wrote down 3 authors on my PS and they asked me questions, quite in depth ones, about 1 of the authors and his works. in total i think i read about 6 books outside of my IB syllabus.
i also sent in a literature essay in french on a book and i got asked lots of questions about that.
Reply 389
Nina
You can't make threads in that forum. You can only post in existing threads there. (One thread per college and one per course). I'll put this in with the MML thread :smile:

I wondered why my post had suddenly appeared in here! I got all confused for a minute there. :p:

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind next time I post. :smile:
Reply 390
lavalse
i wrote down 3 authors on my PS and they asked me questions, quite in depth ones, about 1 of the authors and his works. in total i think i read about 6 books outside of my IB syllabus.
i also sent in a literature essay in french on a book and i got asked lots of questions about that.

Was that 3 authors for both of your languages together?
Reply 391
I think the general idea is to read a moderate amount but really engage with it, rather than trying to read a lot of books rather superficially. Also, don't read something because you think you should read it (e.g. you think it's a great work of literature or you want to seem intellectual). I'm in my first year studying French and Spanish and before my interview I'd read Camus' L'étranger and La Chute, Flaubert's 'Les Trois Contes' and 'Madame Bovary' and Christiane Rochefort's 'Les Petits Enfants du Siecle' (all for French, although Madame Bovary was an English translation) and for Spanish I read García Lorca's 'Bodas de Sangre' and 'Yerma' and Esquivel's 'Como Agua Para Chocolate'. But I know people who read more and others who read less, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the precise amount of books that everyone's read.

If you want to read some books in a structured way, you could always try to read several books by the same author or with the same themes, but that's not at all necessary......although I think they'd be impressed if you could make connections between different books. If you can get hold of any criticism of the texts (even Sparknotes!) it might augment your own ideas but I wouldn't worry too much if you can't find any.

Oh, one final thing: If you've mentioned anything on your Personal Statement that you haven't actually read, now is the time to start!

Good luck!
Reply 392
kjc_us
Was that 3 authors for both of your languages together?

no just for 1, my other language is arabic ab initio, so i didnt do any reading for that except for learning a bit about the grammar/structure of the language.
Crazy_emz
I think the general idea is to read a moderate amount but really engage with it, rather than trying to read a lot of books rather superficially. Also, don't read something because you think you should read it (e.g. you think it's a great work of literature or you want to seem intellectual). I'm in my first year studying French and Spanish and before my interview I'd read Camus' L'étranger and La Chute, Flaubert's 'Les Trois Contes' and 'Madame Bovary' and Christiane Rochefort's 'Les Petits Enfants du Siecle' (all for French, although Madame Bovary was an English translation) and for Spanish I read García Lorca's 'Bodas de Sangre' and 'Yerma' and Esquivel's 'Como Agua Para Chocolate'. But I know people who read more and others who read less, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the precise amount of books that everyone's read.

Oh, one final thing: If you've mentioned anything on your Personal Statement that you haven't actually read, now is the time to start!

Good luck!

I agree very strongly with your general approach, but I have to say I somewhat disagree with the sentence in bold- although I know what you mean. Its no use just 'reading' a great work of literature to try to *appear* intellectual certainly- they will see right through you. What is certainly a good idea however, is to try and read works of great literature, which can be feasibly understood (ie Das Annoleid just wouldn't readable unless you are being taught it by a german teacher). While some great works of literature are not readable for a university applicant, many would be just as possible as a lesser work- for instance Camus, Satre and most 18th, 19th or 20th century poetry- and if you really succeed in engaging with the ideas of a particular renowned text of writer, you will show qualities they tend to look for at cambridge- ie that you enjoy an intellectual challenge, and if you can discuss the ideas and argue your own readings and opinions- that will demonstrate a higher level of intellect and intellectual maturity than is needed for reading an average novel or book in that language. It also makes academic sense that a person genuinely interested in a foreign language would want to read works that have been heralded the best of the century or age in that language.

but certainly- they arent going to expect you to have read realms of 19th century novels in french or all the major works of philosophy written in german (its easy to imagine thats what you have to do without realising it)- for instance, you could just read a bit here and there about Baudelaire and six of his poems, or spend an hour one day reading a paragraph of the original french prose of proust and come up with some interesting observations about his writing style.

definitely agree with the last sentence- and I would add to that- especially dont say you have read a work over 100 pages that you havent (I said I'd read L'education sentimentale and had to get cracking with it after Id done with my forms, and was only finished 2 weeks before the interview
Reply 394
I agree very strongly with your general approach, but I have to say I somewhat disagree with the sentence in bold- although I know what you mean. Its no use just 'reading' a great work of literature to try to *appear* intellectual certainly- they will see right through you. What is certainly a good idea however, is to try and read works of great literature, which can be feasibly understood (ie Das Annoleid just wouldn't readable unless you are being taught it by a german teacher). While some great works of literature are not readable for a university applicant, many would be just as possible as a lesser work- for instance Camus, Satre and most 18th, 19th or 20th century poetry- and if you really succeed in engaging with the ideas of a particular renowned text of writer, you will show qualities they tend to look for at cambridge- ie that you enjoy an intellectual challenge, and if you can discuss the ideas and argue your own readings and opinions- that will demonstrate a higher level of intellect and intellectual maturity than is needed for reading an average novel or book in that language. It also makes academic sense that a person genuinely interested in a foreign language would want to read works that have been heralded the best of the century or age in that language.

I think you're taking what I said a little too literally! Obviously, it's a really good idea to read works of great literature but some people may not enjoy them, and I didn't want anyone to think that unless they'd read something terribly literary (e.g. Camus, Proust, Sartre, Flaubert, Cervantes, Lorca etc) that they wouldn't get in. I think at this stage, it's better to read something you enjoy (within reason!) and feel reasonably confident discussing it than to try and read something that's completely out of your depth and end up really nervous and scared because you don't have anything to say about it/maybe don't even understand it.

I agree with everything else you've said, though! What college will you be at next year?
kjc_us
Sorry, I would've put this under 'Cambridge Colleges and Courses' but for some reason it wouldn't let me post. :confused:

Anyway, I'm really beginning to panic about my interview (assuming I'll get one) and wondering if I've read enough to talk about... (for literature, not linguistics).

So just wondering for linguists at Cambridge, exactly how many books did you read before your interview? Or for linguists applying, how much have you read?

dont worry if you havent read any linguistics books- you can talk about linguistics without having read any books
just make sure you have read some literature- whatever your particular interest- that is what they will expect (and that means a short book/6 poems by a particular poet- little things you can very easily read between now and the interview)
my advice would be to pick a poet you like, read a few of their best known poems, and read some critical works on the poet- that will help you get into the mode of literary discussion
aside from that- you could just read an essay from a book on linguistics (or even watch the Chomsky Authors@google)
before my interview I read 1 novel in translation, some baudelaire poems and read some of a pile of books about baudelaire and flaubert Id borrowed from the library. books are more necessary for your confidence that their expectations in the interview
Crazy_emz
I think you're taking what I said a little too literally! Obviously, it's a really good idea to read works of great literature but some people may not enjoy them, and I didn't want anyone to think that unless they'd read something terribly literary (e.g. Camus, Proust, Sartre, Flaubert, Cervantes, Lorca etc) that they wouldn't get in. I think at this stage, it's better to read something you enjoy (within reason!) and feel reasonably confident discussing it than to try and read something that's completely out of your depth and end up really nervous and scared because you don't have anything to say about it/maybe don't even understand it.

I agree with everything else you've said, though! What college will you be at next year?

I just meant- while its true people dont have to read those works, if they really have no interest in them, firstly, if someone else does, that person will get their place, and secondly, if they arent at all interested in any great works of literature I dont think cambridge is the place for them

I basically just mean people should think in terms of competing

Im at King's next year :p:
I'd read two and a half books for Spanish and one book in translation for Russian. I didn't mention any on my PS at all, which worked quite well for me because it meant that I could talk about whatever I wanted to in my interview. I think in general they recommend that you do more than that though... And also, if you are only going to read 2 or 3, make sure you've really engaged with them and can talk about them in detail. I managed to keep half of my Russian interview solely focused on Anna Karenina.
Reply 398
Zoedotdot
I managed to keep half of my Russian interview solely focused on Anna Karenina.

Really? I didn't even manage to read that book in translation - so boooring. After the first 200 pages or so I just gave up. Now don't tell me it gets better after that please! :p: Maybe I have to try again.

I'm not applying or planning to apply for MML at any point in my life (so don't feel obliged to answer :biggrin: and sorry for butting in) but I'm just curious about something. How do you guys feel about reading children books? Do you do it? I have the feeling it's probably not "intellectual" enough for half of the people in this thread :p:, but I'm just curious because I love children books, especially in Russian, e.g. Chukovsky or Uspensky. There's a lot of subtle (or not so subtle) regime criticism in some of Chukovsky's work, which is really fascinating. :yep:
yellowwdaisy
aside from that- you could just read an essay from a book on linguistics (or even watch the Chomsky Authors@google)

I think if you do want to read something about linguistics, Steven Pinker's The Language Instinct would be more helpful, or if that's too long, P. H. Matthew's Linguistics: a very short introduction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending