The Student Room Group

Cambridge Modern and Medieval Languages (MML) Students and Applicants

:knuddel:

MMlers, relax! I've taken it upon my wonderful self to create this thread for the new-fangled courses section, so that we can all marvel in this glorious set of subjects which we're either currently embarking upon or will be very soon!

Come one, come all! Let us bask in the warming glowing warm glow of Moliere, Goethe, Dante et al and step back and gaze upon our lives that have been enriched by our choice to enter into the realm of this wonderful subject!

Now, this is MY thread, and i OWN it!

:tsr2: (I really want to make an emoticon like this saying Raised Faculty Buliding! Sad? Yes. Pathetic? Yes.)

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I'm not an MMLer, but I love your sig.
Reply 2
I hope to be a new MMler in October!:ciao:
Reply 3
I got rejected for MML, but I think it would have proved to be an amazing course.
Reply 4
I'm also hoping to be a new MMLer in October - Italian/Russian ab initio

Now I just need to get the grades hmmmm.... :P :biggrin:
Ooo, I hope everyone does! Just think about what the result would be if you do make your grades, it will be ace :biggrin:! I did that when I was A-leveling, having a Cambridge offer is great motivation!!
Reply 6
I had to edit the thread title because some people are pedantic about capitals and it won't let you use all caps for a thread title. Sorry it's so formal!
Reply 7
Hi! I've been accepted for French and Spanish.

Just out of interest, do you have any oral exams and what are they like?
Reply 8
you have oral exams in both languages at the end of your first year; if you're taking a subject ab initio, you will have another oral (i.e. the 1A oral, when you catch up with the post alevel lot) in your second year as well.

Oral exams usually take the following format; you're given a passage, usually on something topical (mine was on 'Denglish' for German, and recycling and the environment in Italian). You get 15 mins to read and prep points for discussion.

In the exam, you'll be asked to read a couple of lines aloud- to break you in and check your intonation etc carefully - summarise the passage briefly, and then there'll be some questions. It's designed to work out like a dialogue between you and the examiners - with most exams of this nature, you can probably steer it in the direction you want by not shutting up :smile:

Oh, and there will be two examiners in the room. Usually one native speaker and one english/other, but that's not the case 100% of the time. One of them will mark content, the other grammar, which are weighted equally.

The oral itself, however, is worth half of the translation paper - you'll sit six papers overall, so it works out at something silly like 8.3%. Still worth doing well on though to boost everything else.

that's probs more than you wanted to know, sorry! anything to avoid an essay though....
Reply 9
Oh thank you, that was interesting! :smile:

So, as a first year German and ab-initio Russian student, how would my whole first year be assessed?

Haha, me thinks this may be a question with a very long answer! Don't feel obliged to answer it!
Reply 10
priya
you have oral exams in both languages at the end of your first year; if you're taking a subject ab initio, you will have another oral (i.e. the 1A oral, when you catch up with the post alevel lot) in your second year as well.

Oral exams usually take the following format; you're given a passage, usually on something topical (mine was on 'Denglish' for German, and recycling and the environment in Italian). You get 15 mins to read and prep points for discussion.

In the exam, you'll be asked to read a couple of lines aloud- to break you in and check your intonation etc carefully - summarise the passage briefly, and then there'll be some questions. It's designed to work out like a dialogue between you and the examiners - with most exams of this nature, you can probably steer it in the direction you want by not shutting up :smile:

Oh, and there will be two examiners in the room. Usually one native speaker and one english/other, but that's not the case 100% of the time. One of them will mark content, the other grammar, which are weighted equally.

The oral itself, however, is worth half of the translation paper - you'll sit six papers overall, so it works out at something silly like 8.3%. Still worth doing well on though to boost everything else.

that's probs more than you wanted to know, sorry! anything to avoid an essay though....

Hi, im hopefully going to be doing MML in October!
That was how my interview was - definitely for French, there was a French lady there and i had to read some aloud, summarise it and then answer questions! In the German, I had to do that too but there was no native speaker.

Im so excited! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Hi Laura. I'm so excited too!!!:ciao:
Reply 12
Pantoufles
Hi Laura. I'm so excited too!!!:ciao:

Hi Pantoufles!! Guessing that's not ur real name though! Which college are you going to *touch wood*!!

:smile:
hi laura and pantoufles

im hopefully doing french & German at king's

it seems so unreal
Reply 14
Hi Butterfly!
Laura I'm going to Downing...subject to meeting my offer of course. Seems to be all girls so far?!
Reply 15
hey everyone
im in lower sixth at the moment, studying maths, economics, sociology and french...up till recently wanted to do economics at university. BUT i have now realised that French is what i really really want to do hopefully at Cambridge...can you give me any advice on how to prepare? im worried that because i havent got another language i wont be able to do MML...
thanks in advance
Reply 16
butterfly_girl_5
hi laura and pantoufles

im hopefully doing french & German at king's

it seems so unreal

i know what you mean... i can hardly believe that (subject to results) i will be doing a french and german degree at CAMBRIDGE!!! and that i will be spending the next four years in a wondeful place, doing things i love!!!!

also, pantoufles, what languages are you doing?
Reply 17
Laura0310
also, pantoufles, what languages are you doing?

French and ab initio italian:eek:
Pantoufles
French and ab initio italian:eek:

Good choice - Italian - :p:
Reply 19
kitkat_2007
Good choice - Italian - :p:

Have you done Italian A level? I have a lot of catching up to do but so excited about it!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest