The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Haven't seen any courses for film production which require a foundation.
Reply 2
My friend applied for film production, but BAI suggested he did the foundation course thing too, he was a bit gutted. I don't think its essential though.
No, you don't. I started a degree in Film Production back in 2004 (and dropped out because I didn't think I'd have much in the way of career prospects at the end of it, but that's another matter), and I went straight into it from school with no foundation. However, it was a course of around 100 people and out of those people, there were a handful of us who didn't have some sort of foundation course under our belts. So whilst it's not essential, it might be quite helpful. Also might be worth contacting any universities you're interested in, to ask if a foundation course would be of significant benefit to your application.
Reply 4
Where did you do F.P ellen marine?
$loth
Where did you do F.P ellen marine?

I started my course at Newport Uni, but also had offers from Surrey, Westminster, Aberystwyth, Glamorgan and somewhere else (I forget where.. it was a few years ago, heh!)

Sorry for not replying sooner - didn't realise anyone had responded to anything I'd written. :smile:
Reply 6
hello
I'm interested in going to university for film, i'm looking for one that learns about Directing, producing and things like that, but not sure what the course will involve, could you maybe tell me what is involved in your course, would be a big help thanks
Reply 7
Yes for some places. Sorry to break to $loth but AIB -Arts Insitute Bournemouth DOES require a foundation...
But don't worry if you haven't had the AIB interview yet, because the procedure is this:

at the interview they might offer you a place on they're own foundation course if they think you haven't enough expirence.
They could also suggest at interview you go away and get a foundation. it all depends. If you have a practical quali i.e. btec national dip in film or whatever or lots of practical ex (i.e. you've been working at it or work ex.) then its also quite likely.
Reply 8
I take it you had an interview there?

What sort of questions were they asking, was it quite formal or relaxed?

Thanks for the heads up.
Reply 9
its not Necessary at most uni's I've just got into Bucks New Uni for film and tv production and UCCA don't require foundation either
Reply 10
$loth
I take it you had an interview there?

What sort of questions were they asking, was it quite formal or relaxed?

Thanks for the heads up.

they just have a chat with you, its relaxed because its an art school, i thought it was really nice and was offered a place but someone i met was really moaning on about their interviewers- it sounded like he and the interviewers pissed each other off :confused: but really i think it depends how it goes, btw you always get interviewed by yourself
Reply 11
I've heard that AIB have a mix very lenient and harsh interviewers, but at the end of the day, they mainly care about how mature your ideas are.

i.e. i know someone who had excellent CGi skills, but used them to make pod racers. they were told to do foundation, while someone else who made more serious work, but at a lower level, and was accepted.
Reply 12
I have an interview for film production on the 26th feb at Bournemouth arts institute. I was just wondering if anyone had advice. I hear some people have already had interviews. This course is my number one and i have been wanting to apply for years. A bit nervous!! Jamie
Reply 13
The key is to think art.

my interview pretty much ignored practical skills, academic achievement or work experience. It's all about art.
Reply 14
Hi jimbob, I had mine a week or so ago, as whendonite has said 'think art' is a good way to go about it, some of the questions they asked me were other art interests (literature, galleries I've visited), it's a relaxed chat with two people. Wierd thing is I was honest and told them that I haven't read much literature in the last few years and that I don't often go to galleries (the last time was the tate and british museum with my girlfriend on a trip up to london) yet I've got an uncond. for the three year course.
The first thing though that we talked about was my showreel, and about work experience.

All the best mate.
Reply 15
Thanks guys, as it happens i'm pretty arty farty haha. I'm not so nervous now:smile:
Reply 16
Hey again, had my interview today went well... i think. My interviewer said it takes a while for them to reply, i'd heard that the bai tell you on the day... Anyway one with a reply?, how long did it take?
Reply 17
My reply took about a week.
Reply 18
I got a place wooopon the film production course... Who else is decided on going to Bournemouth arts institute?
Jimbob89
I got a place wooopon the film production course... Who else is decided on going to Bournemouth arts institute?

hi guys, i know this is an old post, but bournemouth is my first choice for uni's atm to do film production. I really want a place, im about to finish my personal statement (late i know) and i'm going to be applying soon.

If i do get an interview, have you got any tips? You guys said 'think art', i do take art as an A-level, what kind of art questions do they ask you, and about film?

Also, if you have decided to go to AIB, how are you finding it? Is the course/nightlife/area good/fun etc. Thanks.

Latest