The Student Room Group

I'm still a nervous driver. What's the best way to combat this?

I've made a previous post about how terrible my instructor was.

I did pass with her second time, but she never let me experience "proper" driving so I really don't have any experience on roads that are above 30mph. I've had experience of a dual carriageway once and didn't drive over 30mph on my lessons more than three times at the most. My driving test was also based in and around an area I knew very well as I live there, and it was all 20/30mph roads. I know I can drive. I wouldn't have passed otherwise.

I cannot take my car to work (city centre parking fees!) so on average, I probably use my car two weekends a month. I try to get out on work nights, even if it's a small drive to McDonalds, just to experience driving more, but I don't always have time.

I'm not nervous of driving, I'm nervous of new roads and locations I've never been to before. Is the best way to combat this to just do it? I feel like because I never got a good experience whilst learning, I've grown used to quiet locations and simple things like two lane roundabouts, so whenever I come across roundabouts with three or four lanes, I really start to panic and worry about making mistakes.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!
I'm exactly the same. Luckily when I passed I had applicant days to go to so my dad insured me on his car and I drove to a uni 2 hours away and then another one 4 hours away. My dad has 40+ years experience so I did what he said.

Those big roundabouts make me panic so much. My dad would tell me where to go beforehand and would keep saying "good good good turn a bit good" to reassure me. Also if there was a car in front of me I would follow their route on the roundabout if they're going the same way as a template. However it happened a few times where I would get stuck first at lights and panic as I had no one to follow!

I think yeah you just need to keep trying. Is it possible to have someone with you who has lots of experience? It was so good having my dad there. I am like you, same town all the time so all familiar roads never more than 50mph. Just have to practice.
Original post by DrawTheLine

Those big roundabouts make me panic so much. My dad would tell me where to go beforehand and would keep saying "good good good turn a bit good" to reassure me. Also if there was a car in front of me I would follow their route on the roundabout if they're going the same way as a template. However it happened a few times where I would get stuck first at lights and panic as I had no one to follow!

This is why I love spiral roundabouts.
Reply 3
Practise.

Practise, practise, practise.

There's no magic wand. No special trick. Just get on the roads and do it. Be scared. But do it anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending