The Student Room Group

Medicine and Maths

Guys am just asking for AS level maths would it be possible for me to get a B at AS level maths if i got a B at GCSE maths (i missed a A by 3 marks). Or will it be impossible for me to get a B in AS level Maths if i got a mere B in GCSE, i want the true oppinions. Also i am getting a maths tutor for a year to help me get the B... so will it be unlikely i get a B if i put the work in and help? Please tell me honest oppinions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nylex got a B at GCSE and an A at AS
Reply 2
kikzen
Nylex got a B at GCSE and an A at AS

No he didn't :tongue:.
Reply 3
wow ... you being honest right....?
Reply 4
DocoC
wow ... you being honest right....?

my mistake he got a B
Reply 5
DocoC
Guys am just asking for AS level maths would it be possible for me to get a B at AS level maths if i got a B at GCSE maths (i missed a A by 3 marks). Or will it be impossible for me to get a B in AS level Maths if i got a mere B in GCSE, i want the true oppinions. Also i am getting a maths tutor for a year to help me get the B... so will it be unlikely i get a B if i put the work in and help? Please tell me honest oppinions.

course you can get a B, but aim for an A - a maths tutor will make a great difference, especially over a year

maths isn't that hard, its just working on your weaknesses and understanding them, which a tutor will help with

I know of a lad who got unqualified on an A-level module, but was put up to 75% with the help of a tutor
DocoC

If you enjoy maths try it.
Reply 7
I only got an A at gcse rather than an A* and managed to get a high A at AS level.
Reply 8
Lol of course i enjoy maths thats why i love physics ... its just in maths sometimes i cant doa question i get so pissed off....lol ... whilest in physics its equations and u cant go wrong with equations :tongue:
Reply 9
I got a B in GCSE maths (teacher with an accent and i didn't work at home) but got a high end A in AS maths including a 95 in P1 and am currently doing A2 maths + AS/A2 further maths.
If you put enough effort in you can do it.
Reply 10
DocoC

I can give you an honest *opinion* instead :wink:

It's not an easy question to answer. For a start, A level maths is difficult for most people and hard work does not ensure an A or a B. There's a girl in my class who does little else but study who went from an A* to a C/B in maths, and there’s little evidence of people getting A's or B's who got B’s in GCSE maths from my year group.
On saying that, I got a B in GCSE chemistry but I now have an A in as’level chemistry. You can go from a B to an A if you do the right things.

If you need any help in maths then PM me. I got an A* at GCSE and 90% average at as’level so I should be able to help.

Good luck with medicine. It's a very difficult course to get on and many places like very good GCSE results.
Reply 11
Kaos
There's a girl in my class who does little else but study who went from an A* to a C/B in maths, and there’s little evidence of people getting A's or B's who got B’s in GCSE maths from my year group.

She obviously didn't study very well or at home then.
Reply 12
DocoC
Lol of course i enjoy maths thats why i love physics ... its just in maths sometimes i cant doa question i get so pissed off....lol ... whilest in physics its equations and u cant go wrong with equations :tongue:

I got an A* at GCSE maths but find other subjects far more enjoyable, so decided not to take it at AS level. Because it's not compulsory for medicine I'm not going to put myself through it. As long as you do Bio and Chem, with another academic subject you'll be fine.

If you enjoy it, do it. If not don't. :smile:
Reply 13
LoL maths i like (only when i can do it ) ... by the way i got 5As and 2A* and rest Bs (including english lang , a B, which i am resiting and hopefuly get a A :P) are these results ok?
Reply 14
DocoC
LoL maths i like (only when i can do it ) ... by the way i got 5As and 2A* and rest Bs (including english lang , a B, which i am resiting and hopefuly get a A :P) are these results ok?

Its decent enough.
Reply 15
Why you think its decent.... :frown:... so i got no chance with them grades .. oh by the way i done 1 week work experiance in Kossovo and a 1 week in India ...i hope to do 1 week in Pakistan this year,(going round in hospitals seeing how patients are treated for in developing countries and how it helps the people living there)... I have also done in Year 10, 2 weeks in pathology lab and in Year 11 1 week in Genitics lab ... is that much work experiance good enough?
Reply 16
DocoC
Why you think its decent.... :frown:... so i got no chance with them grades ..

they're decent, it's all relative.. probably fairly average for medical applicants? excellent would be the 12A*s some people apply with.. good would be mostly A*s with a few As..

:rolleyes: they're above the minimum for every medical school i know of. & GCSEs are not the be-all-&-end-all.. it's A level predictions, PS, reference, interview - the application process isn't supposed to be easy! :wink:

the work experience sounds encouraging though. :smile:
Reply 17
Gaz031
She obviously didn't study very well or at home then.

Perhaps. My theory is that she reached her intelectual peak and got to the point were revision stopped helping.
Reply 18
DocoC
i done 1 week work experiance in Kossovo and a 1 week in India ...i hope to do 1 week in Pakistan this year,(going round in hospitals seeing how patients are treated for in developing countries and how it helps the people living there)... I have also done in Year 10, 2 weeks in pathology lab and in Year 11 1 week in Genitics lab ... is that much work experiance good enough?

Thats way more than enough. How did you get the work experiences then? Did you use family contacts?
Reply 19
they're above the minimum for every medical school i know of. & GCSEs are not the be-all-&-end-all.. it's A level predictions, PS, reference, interview - the application process isn't supposed to be easy!

unfortunately this is not the case,

Queen's in Belfast had a minimum requirement last year, for entry in 2004, of 6A*s at GCSE (don't quote me on this figure but it was something around 6 or 7 A*s), apparently this may go down slightly for 2005 entry as there are going to be more places available.

Latest

Trending

Trending