The Student Room Group

revising during Easter holiday!!

whatever,
I have this friend in my school and he has told me that he has 'Just' started revising. And next month is the exams. He is doing ONLY one GCSE which is a retake. I need some advice to give him, I was planning on saying to him 'You might as well fail and stop revising' I am not sure I need some help?

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't worry about it, people have different revision methods and learn differently! Focus on your own work as that's more important :h:
Why would you say that to your friend 🤨😒😐
Original post by yourmomhascancer
whatever,
I have this friend in my school and he has told me that he has 'Just' started revising. And next month is the exams. He is doing ONLY one GCSE which is a retake. I need some advice to give him, I was planning on saying to him 'You might as well fail and stop revising' I am not sure I need some help?

Make sure that he revises for the exam but make sure that u are also revising see if you could do sessions together or revision and let him know that if he needs help you are there for him
Reply 4
Original post by TheEnchantress
Why would you say that to your friend 🤨😒😐

As a true and loyal friend, I earnestly tell the truth regardless of the trouble he is about to be in. I was being honest saying that he has plenty of time and things will be alright is a huge lie, could be lying to myself which is disloyal ; ) )
Reply 5
One month is plenty of time looool considering hes only doing one gcse
one month is probably enough for ten GCSEs.
Original post by laffytaffy123
one month is probably enough for ten GCSEs.

no...it would be for 7 though
if you said that to me you'd be out of my life for good

mind your own business
Original post by Baza2002

do you seriously believe that no one has ever started revising for their GCSEs a month before the exams and come out alright?

I did mine 2 weeks before they started. You can if you have the right attitude.
Reply 11
If your friend learnt the course 1 month of revision is plenty
do you seriously believe that no one has ever started revising for their GCSEs a month before the exams and come out alright?

It all depends on the subjects. For me I need 3 months revision if I'm going to get grade 7s, 8s and one or two 9s. I do history, geography, french, computer science, english language, english literature, chemistry, biology, physics, maths and further maths.
With history there are 4 topics, each with their own textbook. My school chose the development of the USA, the Elizabethan age, medicine and Nazi Germany.
The AQA geography textbook has just under 400 pages.
Computer science doesn't have as much content but it is a lot harder than most subjects.

I need 3 months revision to get 7s, 8s and a few 9s. I started at the start of February.
Original post by AryanGh
I did mine 2 weeks before they started. You can if you have the right attitude.

The right attitude is not starting 2 weeks before the exams. What grades did you get?

It all depends on the subjects. For me I need 3 months revision if I'm going to get grade 7s, 8s and one or two 9s. I do history, geography, french, computer science, english language, english literature, chemistry, biology, physics, maths and further maths.

With history there are 4 topics, each with their own textbook. My school chose the development of the USA, the Elizabethan age, medicine and Nazi Germany.

The AQA geography textbook has just under 400 pages.

Computer science doesn't have as much content but it is a lot harder than most subjects.

I need 3 months revision to get 7s, 8s and a few 9s. I started at the start of February.
Original post by baza2002
the right attitude is not starting 2 weeks before the exams. What grades did you get?

It all depends on the subjects. For me i need 3 months revision if i'm going to get grade 7s, 8s and one or two 9s. I do history, geography, french, computer science, english language, english literature, chemistry, biology, physics, maths and further maths.

With history there are 4 topics, each with their own textbook. My school chose the development of the usa, the elizabethan age, medicine and nazi germany.

The aqa geography textbook has just under 400 pages.

I need 3 months revision to get 7s, 8s and a few 9s. I started at the start of february.

9, 9, 8 9 a* 3a
Original post by AryanGh
9, 9, 8 9 a* 3a

and what is your response to what i wrote?
and what is your response to what i wrote?

For subjects like Maths, Geography and Computer Science. They came naturally so revision was not needed. Additional Maths was just a few days of practice before the exam. I taught myself Chemistry to an AS standard, so the GCSE itself wasn't a problem. Physics was just plugging and chugging. Granted, your year don't have the formulas but they come intuitively eventually.

Granted, English Literature and Language needed some more time. I had technique and knew how to structure essays since I practiced endlessly in class and worked hard. All that was left was just a few days to review some quotes and themes and come exam day, just taking what I had and rolling with it. I got a 9.

Subjects like Biology were very content heavy, that was the brunt of my two weeks.However since I had listened enough in class. Most of that was past paper practice. As opposed to pointlessly rewriting flashcards. Geography was just learning the case studies, some creative thought and a hint of common sense, along with knowledge of assessment objectives.

We all work at different paces, but for one GCSE a MONTH should more than suffice. You asked for my grades and I gave them to you, we shouldn't make assumptions now, because if i didnt have the attitude, I wouldn't have gotten those grades.

It all boils down to revising smart, not inherently revising hard that prevents ultimate burn out and exam failure, while that probably won't be the case with someone as seemingly bright as you are.
Original post by AryanGh
For subjects like Maths, Geography and Computer Science. They came naturally so revision was not needed. Additional Maths was just a few days of practice before the exam. I taught myself Chemistry to an AS standard, so the GCSE itself wasn't a problem. Physics was just plugging and chugging. Granted, your year don't have the formulas but they come intuitively eventually.

Granted, English Literature and Language needed some more time. I had technique and knew how to structure essays since I practiced endlessly in class and worked hard. All that was left was just a few days to review some quotes and themes and come exam day, just taking what I had and rolling with it. I got a 9.

Subjects like Biology were very content heavy, that was the brunt of my two weeks.However since I had listened enough in class. Most of that was past paper practice. As opposed to pointlessly rewriting flashcards. Geography was just learning the case studies, some creative thought and a hint of common sense, along with knowledge of assessment objectives.

We all work at different paces, but for one GCSE a MONTH should more than suffice. You asked for my grades and I gave them to you, we shouldn't make assumptions now, because if i didnt have the attitude, I wouldn't have gotten those grades.

It all boils down to revising smart, not inherently revising hard that prevents ultimate burn out and exam failure, while that probably won't be the case with someone as seemingly bright as you are.

my biggest problem is history because of the amount of content
Reply 18

Thanks,
Reply 19
Original post by Ray_Shadows
if you said that to me you'd be out of my life for good

mind your own business

soft spot, I didn't mean to hurt you so bad its just the truth hurts

it does.

Quick Reply

Latest