revising during Easter holiday!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yourmomhascancer
soft spot, I didn't mean to hurt you so bad its just the truth hurts

it does.

yeh sure
Original post by Baza2002
my biggest problem is history because of the amount of content

Everyone’s different. I did history too, started revising a week before and got an A*. What works for you won’t necessarily work for other people and vice versa. Don’t be so judgemental, your friend is not necessarily going to fail.
Original post by AryanGh
For subjects like Maths, Geography and Computer Science. They came naturally so revision was not needed. Additional Maths was just a few days of practice before the exam. I taught myself Chemistry to an AS standard, so the GCSE itself wasn't a problem. Physics was just plugging and chugging. Granted, your year don't have the formulas but they come intuitively eventually.

Granted, English Literature and Language needed some more time. I had technique and knew how to structure essays since I practiced endlessly in class and worked hard. All that was left was just a few days to review some quotes and themes and come exam day, just taking what I had and rolling with it. I got a 9.

Subjects like Biology were very content heavy, that was the brunt of my two weeks.However since I had listened enough in class. Most of that was past paper practice. As opposed to pointlessly rewriting flashcards. Geography was just learning the case studies, some creative thought and a hint of common sense, along with knowledge of assessment objectives.

We all work at different paces, but for one GCSE a MONTH should more than suffice. You asked for my grades and I gave them to you, we shouldn't make assumptions now, because if i didnt have the attitude, I wouldn't have gotten those grades.

It all boils down to revising smart, not inherently revising hard that prevents ultimate burn out and exam failure, while that probably won't be the case with someone as seemingly bright as you are.

so many case studies for geography tho. hard to balance out
Reply 23
Original post by dx31
One month is plenty of time looool considering hes only doing one gcse

Literally he is doing a btec level 3 course and he only has maths to retake thats all :/
Reply 24
Original post by yourmomhascancer
Literally he is doing a btec level 3 course and he only has maths to retake thats all :/

girl that’s fine, you should encourage him instead
it's not an issue.

i have 6 third year undergrad exams within 1.5 months, and only started revising last week

last year i had 8 and had the same time, did fine
Original post by somebrick
so many case studies for geography tho. hard to balance out

It really does depend on how you structure it, I quite simplified how I did it, literally just laying all of them out on a couple sheets of A4 with short and long term consequences, and primary and secondary responses, and a few bits of facts and context here and there.

You can do it if you put the thought into it!
Reply 27
Original post by dx31
girl that’s fine, you should encourage him instead

did you just assume my gender by calling me 'girl' ??
my biggest problem is history because of the amount of content

Again, I know people where it all came natural because they were super passionate in it and got A* with minimal work. Whilst OP isn't me, he's not YOU either. Stop making presumptions over people's futures and grades when you don't know them enough first.
Reply 29
Original post by tkty
If your friend learnt the course 1 month of revision is plenty

he is only doing maths retake ,
Original post by AryanGh
It really does depend on how you structure it, I quite simplified how I did it, literally just laying all of them out on a couple sheets of A4 with short and long term consequences, and primary and secondary responses, and a few bits of facts and context here and there.

You can do it if you put the thought into it!

ah yeah thanks. im currently predicted a 8 for geography and got 8 in my last mock. just wanted a bit of intel on the 2017 paper. how was it? apparently a lot of people tripped up on a abstract conceptual question.
ah yeah thanks. im currently predicted a 8 for geography and got 8 in my last mock. just wanted a bit of intel on the 2017 paper. how was it? apparently a lot of people tripped up on a abstract conceptual question.

AQA?

I'm not too sure here, since our year was the last year of A*-G, y'all are on 9-1.

Overall, the paper was fine and dandy on Physical, there were NO case studies which surprised a lot of people. But the actual physical process questions and 6 markers were nice and manageable.

Human had much harsher boundaries but it's always been like that, questions themselves weren't bad though. One 6 marker did throw me off because whilst it was on the One Child Policy, I didn't realise until after reading the question it was on about how the One Child Policy was approached after the 90's, so I had to quickly jot something down lol. Post 90s OCP wasn't' something I had particularly thought was coming but I'm glad I read a bit when I did.
The right attitude is not starting 2 weeks before the exams. What grades did you get?

relax bigman not everyone needs to do 10 hours per day and 15 practice papers to get a 7. doesn't mean they don't have ~the right attitude~
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AryanGh
AQA?

I'm not too sure here, since our year was the last year of A*-G, y'all are on 9-1.

Overall, the paper was fine and dandy on Physical, there were NO case studies which surprised a lot of people. But the actual physical process questions and 6 markers were nice and manageable.

Human had much harsher boundaries but it's always been like that, questions themselves weren't bad though. One 6 marker did throw me off because whilst it was on the One Child Policy, I didn't realise until after reading the question it was on about how the One Child Policy was approached after the 90's, so I had to quickly jot something down lol. Post 90s OCP wasn't' something I had particularly thought was coming but I'm glad I read a bit when I did.

oh wow lol. yes AQA. i mean i think all i need to work on is my timing for physical, always having to rush lol . paper 2 is manageable and paper 3 this year; well we'll see i guess.
Original post by AryanGh
Again, I know people where it all came natural because they were super passionate in it and got A* with minimal work. Whilst OP isn't me, he's not YOU either. Stop making presumptions over people's futures and grades when you don't know them enough first.

I never made any presumptions over people's futures and grades.
History is mainly about remembering content, so I have no idea how someone can get an A* with minimal work.
I never made any presumptions over people's futures and grades.
History is mainly about remembering content, so I have no idea how someone can get an A* with minimal work.

"That is certainly not the right attitude, what grades did you get"

Well you assumed that since I took it late that I didn't have the right work ethic, it was, doesn't have to be the same as yours in order to work effectively. I let my grades speak for themselves.

To those people however, History was about more than just 'remembering content', their outer reading and passion and also working hard in class meant that they only needed to practice come exam day and refine their skills, that's how.
Original post by orderofthelotus
relax bigman not everyone needs to do 10 hours per day and 15 practice papers to get a 7. doesn't mean they don't have ~the right attitude~

I never said anything about doing 10 hours per day. I just said that to get high grades, if you do subjects that have a lot of content, you should be revising for 2 or 3 months, not for 2 weeks. Doing revision 2 weeks before the GCSEs start shows that either:
your memory is better than pretty much everyone in the country
or
you don't care or can't be bothered
oh wow lol. yes AQA. i mean i think all i need to work on is my timing for physical, always having to rush lol . paper 2 is manageable and paper 3 this year; well we'll see i guess.

There's a paper 3?

Aye aye what's that? Back in myyyy day we only had 2 papers! Physical and Human! I'm curious now, are the case studies any different?
Original post by AryanGh
There's a paper 3?

Aye aye what's that? Back in myyyy day we only had 2 papers! Physical and Human! I'm curious now, are the case studies any different?

its about the fieldwork we carried out + to make it even worse, a preliminary material that has been released! and we have to answer questions about it. my school hasn't even gone over it nor have we finished the spec for paper 2. too much pressure on us students.
Original post by AryanGh
"That is certainly not the right attitude, what grades did you get"

Well you assumed that since I took it late that I didn't have the right work ethic, it was, doesn't have to be the same as yours in order to work effectively. I let my grades speak for themselves.

To those people however, History was about more than just 'remembering content', their outer reading and passion and also working hard in class meant that they only needed to practice come exam day and refine their skills, that's how.

so those people only needed to read all the content the night before or they remembered all of it from when they did it in class, some from the start of year 10. they must have a great memory if they can remember everything they learned 18 months ago without revision.

Quick Reply

Latest