The Student Room Group

revising during Easter holiday!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Baza2002
so those people only needed to read all the content the night before or they remembered all of it from when they did it in class, some from the start of year 10. they must have a great memory if they can remember everything they learned 18 months ago without revision.

Obviously not straight before, only small, regular work every week, and taking home things from class. Working hard, meaning that during the 'revision period', there isn't much left to cover at all, just refining what you already know. We're not all sweats who work 14 hours a day for GCSEs, if this was A Levels, then yes that would be concerning, but it's a GCSE, and it's ONE GCSE, you've forgotten the whole context of this thread.

One, singular GCSE.

Your main moanings are of the fact that there are so many GCSEs you have to do with lots for each, but it's only one that OP's friend is taking. Now I don't know about you, but revising for only one GCSE, there is still plenty of time to cover. We don't know anything about this person, so it could be that he hasn't worked at all this year, and you could be right, but I don't like to shut the book before we've even begun.
I started 2 months before and I got 12 A*-B GCSEs (I’m 21 now so it was the old grading system). Wait till you get to University pal then you’ll have no choice but to cram 😂
Original post by somebrick
its about the fieldwork we carried out + to make it even worse, a preliminary material that has been released! and we have to answer questions about it. my school hasn't even gone over it nor have we finished the spec for paper 2. too much pressure on us students.

Ohhh that one!

That was just our coursework lol, all we had to do was just go to some place and write about it for pages on end and talk about what kind of amenities were on offer. I assume this is where a brunt of 6 markers and such are? Like evaluation?

It must be bad, but I'm sure there are many others in your situation who can also assist! "We're all in this together" comes to mind.

I remember feeling that when we were the first year sitting reformed GCSE English Lit, I thought there was so much to learn at first but really when it comes down to it it's not that much at all.
Original post by AryanGh
Obviously not straight before, only small, regular work every week, and taking home things from class. Working hard, meaning that during the 'revision period', there isn't much left to cover at all, just refining what you already know. We're not all sweats who work 14 hours a day for GCSEs, if this was A Levels, then yes that would be concerning, but it's a GCSE, and it's ONE GCSE, you've forgotten the whole context of this thread.

One, singular GCSE.

Your main moanings are of the fact that there are so many GCSEs you have to do with lots for each, but it's only one that OP's friend is taking. Now I don't know about you, but revising for only one GCSE, there is still plenty of time to cover. We don't know anything about this person, so it could be that he hasn't worked at all this year, and you could be right, but I don't like to shut the book before we've even begun.

Look at how our discussion started...

2 weeks would be enough revision for one GCSE, but you were saying that it would be enough for 10.
Original post by Baza2002
Look at how our discussion started...

2 weeks would be enough revision for one GCSE, but you were saying that it would be enough for 10.

Misread, but my point still applies.

I was saying it was enough for 10, and it was enough for 10, clearly, but that was for me.

You said it was enough for 7, and while that might be enough for you, others can do more or less than you.

My point is, none of us can accurately judge anyone elses ability, or say that one month is enough or not enough time for something, just because you cannot do something, doesn't mean that others can't either. We cannot judge how much time is enough since we all work at different paces, and whilst we can continue saying, oh, I can do this in this time, but I can do this in this time, which, admittedly I also did. It is futile to just compare, I was only including counter examples here because the fact that you yourself haven't seen anybody pull off an A* in history like that, doesn't mean that no one else has, not inherently because everyone can do it in little time.

Tl;dr it is pointless to repeatedly compare, I admit I did, but it was just to reaffirm my point that we all work at different paces.
@AryanGh what are you currently studying?

I do A Levels.

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry. I self study a couple of other AS'.
Original post by AryanGh
I do A Levels.

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry. I self study a couple of other AS'.

chosen these aswell. how are they?

You thinking of doing any A Levels/Post-16? I know that this is roughly the time to choose, or perhaps a month or so earlier.
Original post by AryanGh
Ohhh that one!

That was just our coursework lol, all we had to do was just go to some place and write about it for pages on end and talk about what kind of amenities were on offer. I assume this is where a brunt of 6 markers and such are? Like evaluation?

It must be bad, but I'm sure there are many others in your situation who can also assist! "We're all in this together" comes to mind.

I remember feeling that when we were the first year sitting reformed GCSE English Lit, I thought there was so much to learn at first but really when it comes down to it it's not that much at all.

also, i must ask. In the real gcse, do they give more space to write because what they initially give is ridiculous for a 9 mark question, are we allowed to use paper? if so, how would that be scanned?
also, i must ask. In the real gcse, do they give more space to write because what they initially give is ridiculous for a 9 mark question, are we allowed to use paper? if so, how would that be scanned?

On the back of the exam booklet you'll have loads of extra "additional information" space, you'll have to write the question number explicitly on the back. This gets scanned in, don't write outside the box!
Original post by AryanGh
On the back of the exam booklet you'll have loads of extra "additional information" space, you'll have to write the question number explicitly on the back. This gets scanned in, don't write outside the box!

thanks for this

Quick Reply

Latest