The Student Room Group

What happens once you've been signed?

I understand the process trying to get signed by a record label but what happens after you are signed?

What is expected of you?

Do you have a certain amount of time to produce an album?

Do you have a certain amount of time to sell a certain number of albums?

Who controls publicity i.e. interviews, photoshoots etc.

What if you don't want to do photoshoots etc and just want to make music?

Does publicity really depend on the genre of music you're in?

What is the difference between a major and minor record label in terms of how they are towards musicians on their label? Do minor labels give you more space/leeway?

Do record labels control everything...?

lol, sorry for asking so many questions at once.
Reply 1
I understand the process trying to get signed by a record label but what happens after you are signed?

What is expected of you? Make money...... thats pretty much the gist of it. If you don't make money or sell records then you're gone. I mean,

Do you have a certain amount of time to produce an album? Depends on the record label. Usually bands put out E.Ps and then singles and then an album will follow. But MGMT took 3 years to release their debut album i think.

Do you have a certain amount of time to sell a certain number of albums? depends on the record label. Smaller labels will have way smaller target sales than major labels. I don't think a label like Rough Trade would drop an act just because they didn't sell what was expected.

Who controls publicity i.e. interviews, photoshoots etc? Not to sure i think the record label is supposed to, but also i guess bands have people running myspace and setting up street teams....And self publicity wont harm anyone.

What if you don't want to do photoshoots etc and just want to make music? If you don't want to do photoshoots then don't do them, but don;t expect your record label to be happy. Its all free exposure, gets your name out, gets people listening to your music. So you let people take your photo and ask you questions. Its all going to benefit you so I dont get why bands dont do interviews.

Does publicity really depend on the genre of music you're in? Kind of. If you're in an operatic band then popular music magazines are hardly going to run a 2 page special about you unless you;re REALLY good.

What is the difference between a major and minor record label in terms of how they are towards musicians on their label? Do minor labels give you more space/leeway? Minor labels tend to give you more leeway than major, because they rely on the bands to do well more.
classic example, Oasis. Alan Mcghee and Creation Records let them re-record Definitely Maybe 3 times with three different producers and then they spent ages mastering it so it sounded right.
Major labels do own some respectable minor labels but if you want complete artistic control, set up your own label or sign with an Independant one (Rough trade, Domino, Attack etc)

Do record labels control everything...? No and Yes. Again it depends what label.
I suppose in the way they control you because all they have to do is drop you and your in **** street, but at the same time if you're with a good label that cares about the bands as well as the music and the sales then you're given a lot of control over what you do.
Reply 2
Acquiesce04

What is expected of you? Make money...... thats pretty much the gist of it. If you don't make money or sell records then you're gone. I mean,

Do you have a certain amount of time to produce an album? Depends on the record label. Usually bands put out E.Ps and then singles and then an album will follow. But MGMT took 3 years to release their debut album i think.

Do you have a certain amount of time to sell a certain number of albums? depends on the record label. Smaller labels will have way smaller target sales than major labels. I don't think a label like Rough Trade would drop an act just because they didn't sell what was expected.

Who controls publicity i.e. interviews, photoshoots etc? Not to sure i think the record label is supposed to, but also i guess bands have people running myspace and setting up street teams....And self publicity wont harm anyone.

What if you don't want to do photoshoots etc and just want to make music? If you don't want to do photoshoots then don't do them, but don;t expect your record label to be happy. Its all free exposure, gets your name out, gets people listening to your music. So you let people take your photo and ask you questions. Its all going to benefit you so I dont get why bands dont do interviews.

Does publicity really depend on the genre of music you're in? Kind of. If you're in an operatic band then popular music magazines are hardly going to run a 2 page special about you unless you;re REALLY good.

What is the difference between a major and minor record label in terms of how they are towards musicians on their label? Do minor labels give you more space/leeway? Minor labels tend to give you more leeway than major, because they rely on the bands to do well more.
classic example, Oasis. Alan Mcghee and Creation Records let them re-record Definitely Maybe 3 times with three different producers and then they spent ages mastering it so it sounded right.
Major labels do own some respectable minor labels but if you want complete artistic control, set up your own label or sign with an Independant one (Rough trade, Domino, Attack etc)

Do record labels control everything...? No and Yes. Again it depends what label.
I suppose in the way they control you because all they have to do is drop you and your in **** street, but at the same time if you're with a good label that cares about the bands as well as the music and the sales then you're given a lot of control over what you do.

Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending