The Student Room Group

Teaching Job Hunting Chat Thread!

Hey

So I'm currently dragging myself through the process of applying for NQT jobs next year. I've had a few interviews, but no job yet.

I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we can talk about the frustrations of applying for teaching jobs as well as celebrating our successes! We can also share tips for successful applications, lessons and interviews!

My current pet hate is application forms with check boxes that don't work properly!

My current top tip: have a joke ready for the student panel!
(edited 5 years ago)
Really nice idea!

My top tip: You are interviewing the school as much as they are interviewing you! Make sure you ask questions and find out about them as part of the process.

Another tip: Always check the school's priority areas on their School Improvement Plan (should be published on their website). Think about what you can bring to these priority areas and talk about them during the interview, link their priority areas to the answers you give to questions. Staff will be impressed to see that you are already thinking about joining the team and the school's journey to improvement!
Link these areas to your personal statement on the application form too, show how you would be an asset to the school!
Original post by bwilliams
Really nice idea!

My top tip: You are interviewing the school as much as they are interviewing you! Make sure you ask questions and find out about them as part of the process.

Another tip: Always check the school's priority areas on their School Improvement Plan (should be published on their website). Think about what you can bring to these priority areas and talk about them during the interview, link their priority areas to the answers you give to questions. Staff will be impressed to see that you are already thinking about joining the team and the school's journey to improvement!
Link these areas to your personal statement on the application form too, show how you would be an asset to the school!

This is definitely great advice- I've always felt that way about job interviews, but I think it's especially important in schools - it has to be somewhere where I feel happy/like a good fit too! With my first interview I definitely felt that I wasn't quite the right fit for the school!

The second tip is really useful and something I'll definitely use in future. I always try to refer to the school ethos etc in my applications already, so I'll add this in too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending