The Student Room Group

If I have a Masters do I need to do a PGCE?

Hey!!

I’m due to start teacher training in sept - and hopefully gain QTS!

There’s an option to do the PGCE along side this, but if I already hold a masters will I need to do the PGCE?

Thanks! X
Reply 1
Original post by Newtoshu
Hey!!

I’m due to start teacher training in sept - and hopefully gain QTS!

There’s an option to do the PGCE along side this, but if I already hold a masters will I need to do the PGCE?

Thanks! X

Yes.
Reply 2
What's the masters in and why do you think you'll be exempt?
Reply 3
I don’t THINK I’ll be exempt! As the PGCE gives you credits towards a Masters.. I wondered if the masters outweighs the PGCE so to speak!!

And Psychology.
If you decide not to do the pgce assignments, you end up with a professional certificate in education, which isn't as respected as the postgraduate certificate in education.

At least, that's my understanding.
Reply 5
Thank you!
Reply 6
Ah ok! No, Psychology wouldn't count anyway. PGCE credits are for MA Education only
MA Education does not outweigh the PGCE. The PGCE is the course that trains you towards to teaching standards and recommends you for QTS. The MA is a separate course, however, you will gain masters credits by completing the PGCE and these can be (not always) used towards certain modules in an MA education if you wish to complete this after your PGCE.
Reply 8
I don’t THINK I’ll be exempt! As the PGCE gives you credits towards a Masters.. I wondered if the masters outweighs the PGCE so to speak!!

And Psychology.

It does not. Having a master's degree has little to do with the ability to teach secondary school students for example. For that you would need specific training goven by the PGCE. However, do make sure that you look at alternatives to being a teacher. It is not a good career choice.
Reply 9
😂😂 thanks for your honesty! After doing a BA in Education Social Inclusion & SEN and. MSc I’m Psychology.. my goal is to work towards becoming an Educational psychologist! However, I want to go into teaching for a few years as I believe it’s the best thing to do before doing a PhD. But that’s just my personal opinion.
If it's just for experience prior to a PhD, have you considered going for a TA role? Youd get the experience of the classroom (and probably more interaction with individual pupils) than the stress of teacher training if it's not the long term goal
😂😂 thanks for your honesty! After doing a BA in Education Social Inclusion & SEN and. MSc I’m Psychology.. my goal is to work towards becoming an Educational psychologist! However, I want to go into teaching for a few years as I believe it’s the best thing to do before doing a PhD. But that’s just my personal opinion.
Reply 11

Ok. You might also want to consider the finance involved in doing teacher training followed by a Ph.D.

Masters in psychology sounds incredibly fascinating

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending