The Student Room Group

Signs of a good PhD interview?

Hi everyone,

I was interviewed on Thursday afternoon for a PhD and this is my first choice. The interview was fairly relaxed, the first 10 minutes was the supervisors explaining the project to me and what approaches would be taken. Then when I was asked questions, they were very general as they didn’t ask any technical questions around the subject area, and did not ask for any details regarding previous research apart from lab skills I have. The questions were more like ‘why this PhD?’, and we went into a little discussion about ideas. I was also asked when my MSc finishes. Throughout the interview the two supervisors where making jokes and just generally having a laugh with me. I’m not sure whether this is just to make applicants feel at ease or what not but it was very different to what I expected (complete grilling). The interview was then followed by a tour of the lab facilities and I was introduced to other PhD students and post docs. I was told I would hear back shortly.

Enough about the story of the interview, I was just wondering if there are any signs that suggest that the interview went well and whether I am in a good position?

Thanks in advance.
Hi everyone,

I was interviewed on Thursday afternoon for a PhD and this is my first choice. The interview was fairly relaxed, the first 10 minutes was the supervisors explaining the project to me and what approaches would be taken. Then when I was asked questions, they were very general as they didn’t ask any technical questions around the subject area, and did not ask for any details regarding previous research apart from lab skills I have. The questions were more like ‘why this PhD?’, and we went into a little discussion about ideas. I was also asked when my MSc finishes. Throughout the interview the two supervisors where making jokes and just generally having a laugh with me. I’m not sure whether this is just to make applicants feel at ease or what not but it was very different to what I expected (complete grilling). The interview was then followed by a tour of the lab facilities and I was introduced to other PhD students and post docs. I was told I would hear back shortly.

Enough about the story of the interview, I was just wondering if there are any signs that suggest that the interview went well and whether I am in a good position?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Brentton95
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

This is a common thing with grad interviews in my experience. If they offer you a place, you'll be working in your lab for three or four years. Labs are fairly close knit places, and people want to see if you're going to fit in, from an ethos and just personality point of view. Do you like lab cake? Were you rude to a technician? Did you leave your mug for someone else to wash up? That sort of thing. Your PI also wants to see if you're interested in the project on offer, rather than just in securing a PhD position, particularly if that position is fully funded. He or she also wants to see if you have any ideas about the project on offer, and have clear independent thought and drive.

It sounds like a standard interview to me. Nothing to be gleaned one way or another. You should hear within a few weeks, if not sooner. How do you think it went?
I honestly feel like it went very smooth. We clicked and got on very well on both sides I can honestly say I would love to work under both the supervisors. It felt more like a discussion rather than an interview. Also thank you for your response!
I honestly feel like it went very smooth. We clicked and got on very well on both sides I can honestly say I would love to work under both the supervisors. It felt more like a discussion rather than an interview. Also thank you for your response!

Well that's what I call a 'good' interview then :smile:

Best of luck with it (and quote me in if you want me to see your reply)
Original post by Reality Check
Well that's what I call a 'good' interview then :smile:

Best of luck with it (and quote me in if you want me to see your reply)

Thank you! Yeah that was my bad, haven’t used the app in a while!
Thank you! Yeah that was my bad, haven’t used the app in a while!

No problem :smile: What's the PhD project, by the way?
Original post by Reality Check
No problem :smile: What's the PhD project, by the way?

The PhD project is the role of AQP5 in skin barrier function
Reply 8
Same thing happened to me a few months ago. I have now started my Ph.D course. What you should bear in mind is that a good research statement and some enthusiasm is the most powerful thing. Also, remember you are also now a postgraduate student and so you should now have a bit more autonomy in terms of your intellectual development and choices of what to study. Therefore, it is good to ask you what motivates your future study decisions and not treat you as an undergraduate trying to pass exams!
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.
Original post by mgi
Same thing happened to me a few months ago. I have now started my Ph.D course. What you should bear in mind is that a good research statement and some enthusiasm is the most powerful thing. Also, remember you are also now a postgraduate student and so you should now have a bit more autonomy in terms of your intellectual development and choices of what to study. Therefore, it is good to ask you what motivates your future study decisions and not treat you as an undergraduate trying to pass exams!

Congratulations on obtaining a position! Yeah I just thought I would be grilled a little more
I've merged your 2 identical threads (and moved one of them from Postgraduate Support). :smile:
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I've merged your 2 identical threads (and moved one of them from Postgraduate Support). :smile:

Thank you! I only made two posts because my account was playing up
Reply 12
Congratulations on obtaining a position! Yeah I just thought I would be grilled a little more

Yes but if you think about it,what could they grill you on? Your undergraduate/Masters knowledge? to achieve what? You would have already have shown good academic knowledge from your Master's ,clearly. So it would be much more interesting to hear your ideas on what things you are intrigued by and what original contributions to current knowledge in your subject you are interested in making as a doctoral research worker and what other skills you feel that you would need to acquire in order to achieve your goals.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mgi
Yes but if you think about it,what could they grill you on? Your undergraduate/Masters knowledge? to achieve what? You would have good academic knowledge from your masters clearly. So it would be much more interesting to hear your ideas on what things you are intrigued by and what original contributions to current knowledge in your subject you are interested in making as a doctoral research worker and what other skills you feel that you would need to acquire in order to achieve your goals.

That’s true. I’m only going from what I’ve heard lol. Many people said they would question me heavily on previous research projects, and with this not happening I wasn’t sure if this meant they weren’t interested in me. Now it makes sense with your explanation, I just really hope I get the offer!
Reply 14
That’s true. I’m only going from what I’ve heard lol. Many people said they would question me heavily on previous research projects, and with this not happening I wasn’t sure if this meant they weren’t interested in me. Now it makes sense with your explanation, I just really hope I get the offer!

I wish you the best of luck. They couldn't question you heavily on previous research topics knowing full well that a PhD is , in any event, another level up! Best thing for them to do is read your cv,referee and research statements/ideas/thoughts before your interview and then find out about your passions and interests in your chosen area when they meet you! They already know you are academically switched on.
Original post by mgi
I wish you the best of luck. They couldn't question you heavily on previous research topics knowing full well that a PhD is , in any event, another level up! Best thing for them to do is read your cv,referee and research statements/ideas/thoughts before your interview and then find out about your passions and interests in your chosen area when they meet you! They already know you are academically switched on.

That makes perfect sense! Thank you for all of your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending