The Student Room Group

Medicine - MedLink, Oxbridge, Work Experience

Hey,

I was just wondering if any one else here wanted to take Medicine at Uni and if they were doing MedLINK or even people who have taken part on previous years.
Also, I haven't in earlier years been interested in Medicine and although I think I can make up for that with hard work during my A Levels I wondered if I applied to Oxford or Cambridge would they ask me scientific questions or concentrate more on my personal statement etc. I don't think I would be good enough to get in (even if I get the grades due to how hard it is for those Unis before you even think about a medicine course) if you know of others or example questions please share!
Also, how can you go about getting work experience? I am looking into volunteer work in my area weekly and next summer I'm going abroad and will visit and help out in a hospital. But how would I go about getting experience here like shadowing a doctor?

Thanks
Reply 1
I hear at Oxbridge you have 2 day interviews, where one day focuses on scientific aptitude, knowledge, how well u illustrate and structure views, and anything else on teh BMAT that they wanna talk about. The other day concentrates on you PS etc.

I never went to Medlink courses basically cos they were pricey and there was no way Id be able to go!!! LOL. With regards to shadowing a doctor, it can be quite difficult these days since you have to be 18 (are u 18 yet?) Long term voluntary work @ a nursing home or summing may be better. Hospital based work exp (not necessarily shadowing) would also be good so u get a feel for things. Just write to your local hosp and ask them to send u a app form-they usually do!!

G x
Reply 2
Unregistered
Hey,

I was just wondering if any one else here wanted to take Medicine at Uni and if they were doing MedLINK or even people who have taken part on previous years.
Also, I haven't in earlier years been interested in Medicine and although I think I can make up for that with hard work during my A Levels I wondered if I applied to Oxford or Cambridge would they ask me scientific questions or concentrate more on my personal statement etc. I don't think I would be good enough to get in (even if I get the grades due to how hard it is for those Unis before you even think about a medicine course) if you know of others or example questions please share!
Also, how can you go about getting work experience? I am looking into volunteer work in my area weekly and next summer I'm going abroad and will visit and help out in a hospital. But how would I go about getting experience here like shadowing a doctor?

Thanks

I went to Medlink, waste of money. Don't believe too much of the marketing, its not as good as it sounds. The only good thing is you can mention it on your personal statement, but I don't think unis really take too much notice of it.

If you apply to Cambridge you'll get 2 interviews, one general about yourself, and another (more important) interview on your subject, where you'll be asked medical/science stuff. You'll also have to sit the BMAT.

What kind of grades are you on?

If you want work experience, contact your local hospitals. You may have to wait a long time, its easier if you can try and apply a good few months before hand. Wat voluntary work do you do? If it stuff with a caring side then you may not need and hospital work experience, but it would still be good to do.
Reply 3
Well I already have a job at a Bupa Hospital near here. Though I do have a lot of patient contact it's only to hand them their food, lol. But yeh, I have gotten a feel for the environment inside a hospital and I experience a hospital on a day-to-day base so I'm not clouded with images of TV dramas etc...

I am in the middle of trying to get involved in volunteering with disabled children once a week... just waiting for them to get back to me etc.

I have only just started lower 6th so have no idea what grades I'm on, I'm just trying to be prepared and get as much information etc as I can before to try and shorten this huuuge gap I feel between me (who has only resently decided to go for medicine) and someone who has dreamed of it for a long time... if that makes sense

I'm hoping the Medlink course will just provide me with more information about different areas etc and the mock interview and help with personal statement etc will go down a real treat with me, lol. The Pathology extra sounds really interesting do you know anything about that?

Thanks
Reply 4
Well it sounds like you aren't too far behind (if at all) with your voluntary work etc. especially if you have only started lower 6th! I would call around hospitals near you to see if they can offer you some work experience. Or maybe ask the bupa hospital you volunteer in, that's how I got my hospital work experience. You might even want to ask your local GP if he/she knows about anything you could possibly do, perhaps even having a work experience placement with the GP - unis quite like that because it shows you've experienced the other side of health care aswell.

I went on Medlink too, I thought it was fun though yeah very expensive for what you got. As far as I know about the pathology extra is that you have to do a project or something? I wouldn't really bother though as just Medlink is enough and the extra pathology bit wont really be that much more impressive.
Unregistered
Hey,

Thanks

im doing medlink
to get work experience simply send a cv and a letter to where ou want to go
ask a teacher/lecturer/your doctor for help if you dont know newhere you would consider doin shadowing
luv steph xx

Latest