The Student Room Group

PGCE English secondary

Is it too late to apply for PGCE English secondary for a 2019 start?

Anyone with experience or knowledge on this - would be great to hear from you!
Original post by Lifequestion

It's not too late, but if you've only just started thinking about this then I'd advise you don't do it. It will be a lot of stress, one hell of a year and that's if you're application is successful, you'll need to do interviews, tests, have work experience, and I imagine most places are already filled.

I've moved your thread into the teacher training, teaching and education jobs. You can find a routes into Teaching guide here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Routes_into_Teaching

As well as a thread to chat with 2019 applicants here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5496294

I don't want to put you off teaching, it can be extremely rewarding and a noble career, but I'd be very cautious about applying so late if you don't have a ready-to-go application.

It's not too late- some courses will be filled, but some will still have spaces.

However, I agree that the PGCE isn't really something to go into on a whim.

As a first step, I'd suggest spending a week shadowing an English teacher in a local secondary school.

It isn't too late. Applications close in September I believe. Many training providers carry on taking applications until their program is full. As others said I wouldn't recommend going into teaching straight away, especially if you are recently graduating. I jumped into a PGCE after my BA and now feel I chose the wrong PGCE. I recommend getting a job as a TA first and work in a school for a year to see what it is really like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending