The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the title says nothing, it isn't Demont Ford. But the answer is simple, in just about every-case leicester will be the better option.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Is there really any competition?
The only De Montfort plus I can see is it offers a lot of courses that Leicester doesn't, so if you want to do a more voactional course, go for it.
However, Leicester Uni has a much better rep overall, won numerous awards for student satisfaction and having the best student union, has a much nicer (in my opinion) campus, doesn't do cringeworthy TV ads and....has a paternoster.
Need I say more? :p:
Reply 3
Ed.
the title says nothing, it isn't Demont Ford. But the answer is simple, in just about every-case leicester will be the better option.

I have to admit, they design far more innovative underwear than we do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7425980.stm
Reply 4
How itchy must that DMU underwear be...
Reply 5
Ed.

The stronger option possibly. "Best" is a little more subjective and personal.

Sorry, subtle difference and one I feel needs to be highlighted.

Newcastle V Northumbria
UCL V London Met
Liverpool V John Moores
Oxford V Oxford Brookes
Sheffield V Sheffield Hallam
Manchester V Manchester Met

In all cases the traditional uni will be higher that its ex-poly neighbour. So if we are talking about all round strength then Leicester.

But it depends what you're looking for in terms of learning environment and course in particular.

So what are you looking at doing, OP?
Reply 6
River85

Sorry, subtle difference and one I feel needs to be highlighted.

Newcastle V Northumbria
UCL V London Met
Liverpool V John Moores
Oxford V Oxford Brookes

In all cases the traditional uni will be higher that its ex-poly neighbour. So if we are talking about all round strength then Leicester.

But it depends what you're looking for in terms of learning environment and course in particular.

So what are you looking at doing, OP?

£50 note VS 1p (oxidised) :biggrin:
Reply 7
Doing computing at leicester (firm choice), but a bit stuck on choosing accomodation! any idea's? defo want ensuite but havent got a clue if i want to cook my own food or not
Nutty Prof.
Doing computing at leicester (firm choice), but a bit stuck on choosing accomodation! any idea's? defo want ensuite but havent got a clue if i want to cook my own food or not

Cook it! Works out cheaper and you can eat what/when you want. (And I'm catered, so there's no bias there)
Best accom for self-catered is Bowder Court or John Foster :smile:
Tomber
I have to admit, they design far more innovative underwear than we do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7425980.stm

Haha!! I saw that last night and I can't stop wondering: Who was the first brave person to try it on to check if it stings or not?!?
Reply 10
River85

Newcastle V Northumbria
UCL V London Met
Liverpool V John Moores
Oxford V Oxford Brookes

Don't forget Bristol V UWE!!!! One Bristol nightclub even has a night called Bristol vs UWE - battle of the unis!!!!
Reply 11
University of Leicester all the way. DMU is definitely more updated and probably more lively. But meh, I'd rather go to a university which is fairly highly thought of, than say DMU, where it's just another ex-poly... just my opinion though.
Reply 12
Being a DMU student I am going to be biased towards DMU ... however I hate that everyone has to compare the two when they are totally different!

Leicester is mainly focused on the academic courses whereas DMU is more focus towards vocational and practical courses ...

Personally I got the grades to go to both Unis but I decided I wanted to go to DMU. I could have done my major - Criminology - at Leicester Uni, but they didn't offer my minor - forensic science - so I chose DMU because it did the perfect course for me and it had the best facilities for my course that I had seen of all the Unis I had visited. Obviously the rep of the Uni comes into your choice, but I would rather go to a Uni with a "bad" rep and do a course that I thought was perfect for me than go to a Uni that had a better rep but didn't do the course I want to do as at the end of the day, you are there to learn and the Uni's rep can't help you there!

Also as for the fact that Leicester has better rep - considering that DMU has only been a uni for 16 years and Leicester has been a Uni for 87 years, obviously Leicester are gonna have the better rep as they have had a 71 year advantage to build up that rep!
Reply 13
melj1213

Personally I got the grades to go to both Unis but I decided I wanted to go to DMU. I could have done my major - Criminology - at Leicester Uni, but they didn't offer my minor - forensic science - so I chose DMU because it did the perfect course for me and it had the best facilities for my course that I had seen of all the Unis I had visited. Obviously the rep of the Uni comes into your choice, but I would rather go to a Uni with a "bad" rep and do a course that I thought was perfect for me than go to a Uni that had a better rep but didn't do the course I want to do as at the end of the day, you are there to learn and the Uni's rep can't help you there!

That was a perfectly reasonable decision :smile:
Reply 14
melj1213
but I would rather go to a Uni with a "bad" rep and do a course that I thought was perfect for me than go to a Uni that had a better rep

Good sense often but I must say that there isn't really a university with "bad rep" (well, apart from Teesside and Thames Valley :p: ). All unis have their strengths and a lot of this is very course specific.

Don't get pulled into the whole ex-poly = bad rep belief.

*Waits to be slaughtered*
Reply 15
Gets axe...
Reply 16
River85
Good sense often but I must say that there isn't really a university with "bad rep" (well, apart from Teesside and Thames Valley :p: ). All unis have their strengths and a lot of this is very course specific.

I've pretty much concluded that all 'reputation' in the TSR sense is concerned with is sounding impressive to the layman. It has next to nothing to do with academic reality, or actual passion for subjects.
Reply 17
River85

Oh I don't - I go to one so I am well versed in ignoring that belief :biggrin: ... what I was meaning by "bad" rep was when you say to people "Oh, I go to DMU" and they say "Oh, that isn't very high in the league tables" ... they are basing their ideas about the Uni on what they know from league tables which can have nothing actually to do with how good the Uni is as some are assessed on very narrow fields and don't have leeway for more 'vocational' courses
Reply 18
I suppose this whole 'bad rep' idea plays more of a part depending what course you're doing. For me, I do Law, and therefore, to get a training contract from some of the more prestigious firms, I need to come from a good University. Hence, why I would chose Leicester over DMU.
Reply 19
lottie12
I suppose this whole 'bad rep' idea plays more of a part depending what course you're doing. For me, I do Law, and therefore, to get a training contract from some of the more prestigious firms, I need to come from a good University. Hence, why I would chose Leicester over DMU.

What's a good university and why do you need to go to a good one? Are you planning on working for a city firm or being a barrister?

I'll just reiterate, law is obviously one area where rep is important. As well as the teaching and academic brand there is also the contacts made. However, going to a modest uni is by no means a severe barrier to a career in law. Certainly not in a regional or national firm of solicitors.

Latest

Trending

Trending