The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Tomber
I've pretty much concluded that all 'reputation' in the TSR sense is concerned with is sounding impressive to the layman.

Correct. :yy:
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 41
Sorry I'm a bit late to the debate. Comparing an "old" university with a former polytechnic is a like trying to compare an apple with an orange. Okay they are both fruit, but after that it gets a somewhat pointless comparison. The analogy I use is that of a football one. If overnight one merged all the English football divisions and all the teams played each other - who do you think at the end of the season would be in the top 20 teams? It was the same when the government removed the binary divide between unis and polys in 1992. Overnight Thames Valley or any other former poly was playing in the same "league" as Oxford, Cambridge and so on. As someone who has worked in both types of institution there are good points about both. But, if we are being realistic, in the outside world after graduation the OP's CV would look "better" to an employer if it said Leicester rather than DMU. I'm not saying that is "right" but it is the unfortunate reality.
Reply 42
I'm going to both open days and will get back with my opinion!
Original post by Evlyn

Hi @Evlyn,

How great to hear you are coming along to one of our Open Days! What subject are you interested in studying?

It is really important to make the most of any Open Day you go to, see the Campus, speak to lecturers and current students and accommodation as you really do get a 'gut feeling' whether it is the university for you.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on!

- Anna (UK Student Recruitment Co-Ordinator)
Original post by Evlyn

Hello Evlyn,

We cannot wait to see you this Saturday! I have attended multiple Open Days at De Montfort University, and I am always full of admiration for how helpful and interesting this event is for prospective students :wink: You can see for yourself whether this is the right place for you and what it can offer.

Here are some must-have activities that I recommend you to get involved in. Make a list of questions in advance and do not hesitate to ask all of them to academics and current students. They will be there just for you! Take a campus and faculty tour to get to know more about the facilities available. Check out student accommodations that will be open for tours. Luckily, most of them are within a short walking distance from the university. Finally, attend a taster session to see what the teaching looks like at DMU.

Let me know how it was! Have the best time :h:

Julia
Original post by Nutty Prof.
Doing computing at leicester (firm choice), but a bit stuck on choosing accomodation! any idea's? defo want ensuite but havent got a clue if i want to cook my own food or not

I can’t believe this was written 15 years ago. You must be in your 30s now!

Latest

Trending

Trending