The Student Room Group

Post University advise for getting a job

Hi, so I finished university at the University of Birmingham this week - relief!
So, the next step is to get a job, which is not going to lie is really daunting. I haven’t had any industry experience during University, partly due to laziness (my fault), and partly due to the anxiety of being out of my comfort zone. I take responsibility for this, but now I’ve finished I don’t really know where to turn. Most of my friends have had some form of experience so I feel like I’m behind and I’m really going to struggle to get employed
Has anybody been in a similar situation, and do you have any advise?
Should I focus on trying to get an internship/short term placement?
But even then how do I get them? How do I answer questions over the phone/in interviews about how I’d be suitable for roles?

Not going to lie, it has been getting me down.

Thanks guys
Original post by 1997jga

You are seriously behind - you are supposed to get a job offer while you are in your final year, when all the university resources are on your doorstep. You did at least use the Careers Service?

You need to get a job, your time for faffing with internships etc has passed. You need to do a thorough assessment of your qualifications, skills and preferences and work out what type of work you are equipped to do.

Then you need to research entry level roles, bookmark 20 or role/sector specific company jobs websites and some of the key job search companies. The company set are where you are likely to get a job, the mass listings are where you will get more data on job titles, skills needed, salaries, companies etc.

You need to learn how to write an effective CV and covering letter for applications and how to tailor them to best effect.

If you find you are missing some key skill, then crack on and work out if you can gain it by volunteering.

Keep a careful track of your applications, monitor deadline, the CV you used, the response you got, any feedback etc.

Expect it to take 6 months minimum to get a graduate level role.

Don't get obsessed with graduate schemes, they are nothing special and your timing is wrong for them.
Assuming the housing contract hasn't ended yet. If you go back to careers on Monday morning you may be able to get some appointments and mock interviews the next 3 weeks? Psychologically that may give you a bit of a boost and some useful starters.

If you have anxiety, you need to get that to be more manageable otherwise pretty much everything else said about interviews is of limited use.

There have been loads of people every year in your position. It might help to say what subject, as that might encourage more people to reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending