The Student Room Group

Can I give handwritten references to new employer?

Hi my current and previous employers have given me handwritten references, can I give these to a new employer or would they need to request these formally?
Reply 1
Original post by AngelsandFairies
Hi my current and previous employers have given me handwritten references, can I give these to a new employer or would they need to request these formally?

if you're applying for a job, state 'references available upon request'. if they ask for references then, give them the handwritten references and an email for your last employer so they can contact them if they wish

It depends entirely on the next employer. They might accept handwritten references, they might not. Nowadays they probably won't, because it's too easy to forge things. Usually you pass on details of how to contact your referees and the new employer goes directly to them to get the reference.
Original post by threeportdrift
It depends entirely on the next employer. They might accept handwritten references, they might not. Nowadays they probably won't, because it's too easy to forge things. Usually you pass on details of how to contact your referees and the new employer goes directly to them to get the reference.

What if the reference(s) is through email? I have a couple of these in my inbox.
What if the reference(s) is through email? I have a couple of these in my inbox.

Again, not generally considered any use. Employers very often want to ask referees specific questions. It's also too easy to forge pre-written references.
Original post by el474
if you're applying for a job, state 'references available upon request'. if they ask for references then, give them the handwritten references and an email for your last employer so they can contact them if they wish

Id do this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending