The Student Room Group

Extendeed project

Badically, over the summer i have to do this extended project qualification, which is basically a 5000 essay about a subject of my choice, so obviously i want to do something vetty, but need ideas.
i though of:
TB and badgers, although i got the idea from someone that did it last year, so it might be copying them soo much
BSE, although i dont know if i could write 5000 words about this
Blue tongue, could do something about the new regulations, implications to farmers etc but i dont know much about it
Foot and Mouth, ditto

anything else anyone can think of?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would vote Bluetongue 'cos it's not going to not be around for a long while yet, so it's something that'd be very likely to come up in interviews.
Enzootic Calf Pneumonia - My group had to do 6 separate essays of 2,500 words on 5 different topics within this, plus an hour long presentation. Pretty evil but very relevant and there is tonnes of information on it out there.
Reply 3
just out of interest- what is it that you're doing the extended project for?
Reply 4
Its a separate qualification, an AS level called the extended project qualification, by AQA.
our college makes us do it over the summer if theyre going to support our applications to oxbridge :frown:
Annaconda
Its a separate qualification, an AS level called the extended project qualification, by AQA.
our college makes us do it over the summer if theyre going to support our applications to oxbridge :frown:

African horse sickness?
I quite like the idea of BSE and other prion diseases (i.e. scrapie, CJD, kuru, mink transmissible encephalopathy) - there's lots of info on this on the internet, the epidemic, OCDS, the prion theory, the possible vaccines.
Defra's very good for these sort of things.

EDIT: What about avian flu, that's another big one.
Reply 7
I reckon avian flu or bluetongue are good choices cos they're current - the prion thing never really turned out to be as big as everyone said it would, so I'm not sure you'd be able to wrap up a report easily.
Sounds like the IB Extended essay :smile:

I'd say Bluetongue, personally I find it fascinating and enjoy talking/ reading up about it, I so hope they ask me about it at interview :biggrin:
Reply 9
Do something you dont know much about then you'll get more out of the project as you'll learn more and find it more interesting.
Reply 10
OllyH
Sounds like the IB Extended essay :smile:

I'd say Bluetongue, personally I find it fascinating and enjoy talking/ reading up about it, I so hope they ask me about it at interview :biggrin:

i think it is supposed to be the A-level equivalent of that.

i dont particularly want to do avian flu, cos i dont really like birds much
ooh i'm doing this project too :smile:
Reply 12
I'm doing this extended project as well but totally stuck for ideas. can anyone think of any maths/french related topics?.......
How does one go about doing an essay like this, is it run by an exam board? Can anyone give me a link?

Thanks,

Olly
Reply 14
heres the website http://www.aqa.org.uk/over/extendedproject.php

tammsie
I'm doing this extended project as well but totally stuck for ideas. can anyone think of any maths/french related topics?.......

try posting that in the relevant forum, not the vet one
Reply 15
karate_kat
I quite like the idea of BSE and other prion diseases (i.e. scrapie, CJD, kuru, mink transmissible encephalopathy) - there's lots of info on this on the internet, the epidemic, OCDS, the prion theory, the possible vaccines.

:dito:
Reply 16

WOAH. Chill out blud
Reply 17
tammsie

WOAH. Chill out blud

???? i was just trying to help you, sorry if you mis interpreted it
Reply 18
I think what anna was trying to say was that ther majority of people here aint gunna be doing french, and that you might get more help from a more relevent forum, nothing more!
Reply 19
tammsie
WOAH. Chill out blud

Theres no need to get narky when you're the one who just posted a french question on a vet forum.

Latest

Trending

Trending