The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

generally i'd say:

columbia
upenn
dartmouth/duke

i can't decide which is more prestigious/recognized, duke or dartmouth. given that dartmouth is an ivy it might possibly just edge out duke, but i'd say both are roughly similar

is this undergrad/postgrad?
Reply 2
Post-grad
Why does everyone on TSR have an obsession with ranking schools?
in that case i'd put duke above dartmouth, possibly above upenn. as it's international recognition/prestige i'm basically going off gut instincts, so wait for some other responses.
ScholarsInk
Why does everyone on TSR have an obsession with ranking schools?

the op went to harvard..... jokes!
Reply 6
What course is this?
Reply 7
International recgnition for postgrad education, as a whole:

Columbia
Duke / Penn

gap

Dartmouth
columbia

gap

upenn
duke

huge huge gap

dartmouth
in order for recogntion only

Dartmouth
UPenn
Columbia
Duke

in terms of recognition that should be pretty fair since i don't know much about US unis...

but i have no way about reputation
tami*
in order for recogntion only

Dartmouth
UPenn
Columbia
Duke

in terms of recognition that should be pretty fair since i don't know much about US unis...

but i have no way about reputation

You'd put Dartmouth's recognition above Columbia's. Really?
Reply 11
ScholarsInk
You'd put Dartmouth's recognition above Columbia's. Really?

She watches Gossip Girl, that's why I only know Dartmouth and Columbia.

In the order I know them:
Columbia
Dartmouth
UPenn
Duke

But I don't actually know how good they are...
Reply 12
But I don't actually know how good they are...

That's because the OP didn't list a field/program. Depending on the program, I would rank them in several different ways.

Econ (the OP's major)
Penn
Columbia
-slight gap-
Duke

MBA
Penn
-gap-
Dartmouth
Columbia/Duke

Champagne Breakfast
can't decide which is more prestigious/recognized, duke or dartmouth. given that dartmouth is an ivy it might possibly just edge out duke

Maybe it's just me, but I think the athletic programs give Duke just a wee bit more name recognition than Dartmouth's ivy status. :p:
Reply 13
So Columbia seems to be at the top of people's list on here.

Is Columbia University well known in the UK?
YankeeUK2008
So Columbia seems to be at the top of people's list on here.

Is Columbia University well known in the UK?

You'd refuse a Columbia acceptance because of what someone in the UK might think? Not the best move - it's quite clearly one of the world's best universities.

Although, of your choices, I'd pick Penn. IMO it's a better school than the others that you listed - however, all of them are excellent. The top two are clearly Columbia and Penn though.
Reply 15
IMO it's a better school than the others that you listed

Completely irrelevant. At the (post-)graduate level, it is more important to choose the best PROGRAM rather than the best SCHOOL. They're not always the same thing. In any case, three of the OP's choices are clearly world-class universities.

A student wanting to pursue oceanography, for example, would be best served at 5 places: UCSD, MIT, URI, Miami, and Columbia. Schools like Harvard and Berkeley simply do not perform or place at all well in this area. It's all a matter of specialization and fit.
Reply 16
ScholarsInk
You'd refuse a Columbia acceptance because of what someone in the UK might think? Not the best move - it's quite clearly one of the world's best universities.

Although, of your choices, I'd pick Penn. IMO it's a better school than the others that you listed - however, all of them are excellent. The top two are clearly Columbia and Penn though.

I am not going to base my descision off a student board but I would like to get the opinions of students from around the world.
Reply 17
Completely irrelevant. At the (post-)graduate level, it is more important to choose the best PROGRAM rather than the best SCHOOL. They're not always the same thing. In any case, three of the OP's choices are clearly world-class universities.

A student wanting to pursue oceanography, for example, would be best served at 5 places: UCSD, MIT, URI, Miami, and Columbia. Schools like Harvard and Berkeley simply do not perform or place at all well in this area. It's all a matter of specialization and fit.

I agree and then I disagree at the same time. Name recognition can also play a big part. While a graduate degree from Harvard in a certain field may not be as prestigious as another in the same field, a Harvard Masters is still worth a lot. Take for instance the KSG (Kennedy School of Government), it is highly ranked but not as high ranked as Syracuse, which is number one in Public Administration/Policy. Yet, KSG grads I believe make much much more then Syracuse grads upon graduating.
Reply 18
Why didn't you apply to Harvard to do post grad?
Reply 19
I wanted to leave Cambridge. Change of venue.

Latest

Trending

Trending