The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

FiveFiveSix
Kill all other applicants. Then you're assured of a place!

genius!
Electric_Dreams
Don't bother.
As an Oxford tutor said to me, "If you deserve a place at Oxford, you will get it one way or the other".

I'd really want to go to oxford but if I was offered a place and my mate (mike)wasn't, I'd want to accept but would prefer to make a deal to decline on the condition that mike gets a place, purely because I think he really deserves it and deserves it more than me and onyone else I know who wants to go.
tropical-twist3
I'd really want to go to oxford but if I was offered a place and my mate (mike)wasn't, I'd want to accept but would prefer to make a deal to decline on the condition that mike gets a place, purely because I think he really deserves it and deserves it more than me and onyone else I know who wants to go.

Come on, are you serious? You'd damage your own life prospects because you think someone you know (who got rejected, according to the hypothesis, no?) who you won't even know in a few years 'deserves' it more? You've got to snap out of that mentality, sharpish.
Albiceleste
Come on, are you serious? You'd damage your own life prospects because you think someone you know (who got rejected, according to the hypothesis, no?) who you won't even know in a few years 'deserves' it more? You've got to snap out of that mentality, sharpish.

ha why should I? how damaging would it really be? If I'm capable of getting accepted then I'm capable of getting accepted somewhere else or getting a decent career. There's more to life than a career, other things are just as imporant if not more. I strongly feel Mike is more deserving and should go, so I'd rather he had a place than myself. I know that I'll get by in life just fine whether I go to Oxford Uni or not, yeah its a great oppurtunity and place to study but its not the be all and end all.
tropical-twist3
ha why should I? how damaging would it really be? If I'm capable of getting accepted then I'm capable of getting accepted somewhere else or getting a decent career. There's more to life than a career, other things are just as imporant if not more. I strongly feel Mike is more deserving and should go, so I'd rather he had a place than myself. I know that I'll get by in life just fine whether I go to Oxford Uni or not, yeah its a great oppurtunity and place to study but its not the be all and end all.

tisn't be all and end all, for sure-UCL, Imperial and LSE are damn fine unis as well-so if you don't get in, you sound like you've got the right attitude/mental game plan-but to say you wouldn't go for such a silly reason as letting 'Mike' go instead seems a bit odd...
Albiceleste
tisn't be all and end all, for sure-UCL, Imperial and LSE are damn fine unis as well-so if you don't get in, you sound like you've got the right attitude/mental game plan-but to say you wouldn't go for such a silly reason as letting 'Mike' go instead seems a bit odd...

yeah it does sound silly, and if I ended up a crack whore I'd imagine I'd really regret it, but if you met mike, you'd really want him to go too! out of anyone, he'd make the most of it.

but then I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that so I doubt it would happen. I'd have to apply first, at least!
Reply 46
tropical-twist3
I'd really want to go to oxford but if I was offered a place and my mate (mike)wasn't, I'd want to accept but would prefer to make a deal to decline on the condition that mike gets a place

Admirable, but utterly pointless and probably misjudged. There would be no opportunity for a "deal" -- Oxford doesn't really care, in any personal way, whether you take up their offer or not. Until you're a student there, you're just a statistic. I appreciate your sentiment, but don't admire your naivity. Let's just hope that Mike gets in as well, eh? ...
epitome
Admirable, but utterly pointless and probably misjudged. There would be no opportunity for a "deal" -- Oxford doesn't really care, in any personal way, whether you take up their offer or not. Until you're a student there, you're just a statistic. I appreciate your sentiment, but don't admire your naivity. Let's just hope that Mike gets in as well, eh? ...

Lolz. I bet Mikey-boy is one of those poor unfortunate souls who has been obsessed with Oxbridge since ewarly childhood, and would indeed make a deal with Ursula from the Little Mermaid to get there. Heaven help the poor **** if he doesnt make it...
epitome

Yeah. and yeah it was more hypothetical, I don't really expect that to work. But just looking at it practically, Mike deserves it more and is mor reliable, so if someone said I want to offer you or Mike a place, I'd say give it to Mike please, its more important to him.
Albiceleste
Lolz. I bet Mikey-boy is one of those poor unfortunate souls who has been obsessed with Oxbridge since ewarly childhood, and would indeed make a deal with Ursula from the Little Mermaid to get there. Heaven help the poor **** if he doesnt make it...

No actually but he is just conscientious. I realise I'm really bumming mike at the moment, he can be a nob aswell, but not often. If he doesn't get he wouldn't be devastated, but I think he deserves to more than he realises.
tropical-twist3
No actually but he is just conscientious. I realise I'm really bumming mike at the moment, he can be a nob aswell, but not often. If he doesn't get he wouldn't be devastated, but I think he deserves to more than he realises.

aww. you're clearly a loyal friend. Good on you. But go for it yourself, don't worry about Mikey-boy.
Reply 51
urm, if you don't think you deserve to get in under your own merit how do you expect to cope when you are there?
Galatea
Well then he's going against the myriad of others who say that every year, due to the competition, they are forced to reject many people they would like to accept, who would thrive on the course. I do completely disagree with the well propogated myth, "if you're good enough, you'll get in"; admissions tutors themselves say this is not the case.

Tbh, I would say going for a less competitive college is sneaky, it's actually rather sensible, provided you still like the college you chose to apply to. I'm not really familiar with the Oxford colleges, so I can't really say which ones will be less competitive, though none of them obviously are going to be easy to get into, and any differences will only be marginal.

That's just politeness on their part tbh.
Reply 53
tropical-twist3

Dont you think that the admissions tutors ( who if I get it right rejected your friend) with their years of experience can judge in a much better way than you can whether or not Oxford is the right place for your friend?

Well but back to topic. I think that its true that if youre good enough you will definitely get in regardless of which college you applied to. However ( and this becomes pretty obvious if you read some of the threads that are posted here in the Oxbridge board) when applying people will always think about they might have a better chance of getting in and due to the college system the choice of the college at least seems to be a way to improve one's chances of getting in. It is pretty likely that the choice of college has not much to do with the chance of getting in. However playing the game with applications stats and so on is pretty tempting and most people will at least think about doing it. For my subject for example there were several colleges that did not admit any applicants during the last few years. Although this might be totally uselss in the end it helped me to narrow down the number of colleges that I considered for my applications. Yet in the end there were other much more important factors that made me choose St Catz.

Latest

Trending

Trending