The Student Room Group

I hate my job...

The last to months at my current job has been agony, but it pays so well. I work as a cashier at wilkinson weekends and for a while now theyv been slowly introducing silly little rules thatv created a horrible job.

They have no air conditioning and were in a complex so theres no airflow, nd by the mid day we are all sick with thirst. Were not allowed to have a bottle of water under the till or even around us. Recently were supposed to put the carrier bags under the till so customers dont see them, but every time a customer needs a bag we hafta go under the till and get one (doesnt sound bad but each cashier serves approx 700 ppl a day). Last week they also told us were not allowed to buy from the store on our break! So we spend our entire break queing in tesco, befor going back to work.

Despite all this, i can work 7 hrs saturday nd 6 hrs sunday and come away with £100 ish. But is it worth it if im always depressed about even going to work, let alone being there.

Scroll to see replies

i'm not being funny but they're the rules at a lot of places!

a lot of jobs dont allow you to have drinks on the shop floor- you could've stolen it - also it doesnt look too professional in my opinion - seeing staff at a till drinking whenever they want.

About the queueing in your lunch break... take food with you from home - that would solve that problem!

Seriously, its a job - you're earning money. So many people I know want a job and can't get one - appreciate what you have. Its not forever
Reply 2
Find out what other jobs are going, your current job is ideal experience on your CV so I wouldn't imagine getting another job will be that difficult...personally I would probably stick it out at least for a little longer - things might improve...btw what rate are you getting per hour? I assume you get more on sundays so I'm guessing from what you said above £5-6 per hour?
Reply 3
How long are you supposed to stay in that job?? If it's only a little while, eg. summer, I'd stay.. If it's your part time job during term time, then see if you could get another one..
Reply 4
Yeh, its the same at Tesco, so... its just how it goes. Sorry and all that. Most places you work in retails will have bags under the tills. Now a lot of the supermarkets are doing it as well (my Tesco introduced it on Monday).

And air conditioning?! I think you're being a bit picky..
I clean male school toilets for 2 hours! After a day at school! We do what we have to, to pay for the life we want to lead. But i have days like this too, so.... :grouphugs:
Reply 6
As far as i'm aware unless you work around dangerous materials that could contaminate water no employer is allowed to withhold water from you. Infact having just looked it up they have to provide you with water:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/water.htm

So show him that and bingo...
suicidal_dream

a lot of jobs dont allow you to have drinks on the shop floor- you could've stolen it - also it doesnt look too professional in my opinion - seeing staff at a till drinking whenever they want.

About the queueing in your lunch break... take food with you from home - that would solve that problem!

Seriously, its a job - you're earning money. So many people I know want a job and can't get one - appreciate what you have. Its not forever

Its true the reason why they stop you from having drinks around the till is because for one it doesn't look professional if your drinking around the tills, you could potentially spill water on the notes or it could of been stolen. I know its not a very ideal rule to have in place but as a business they need to ensure the people they employ are going to come across professional to the customers and do the job their employed to do effectively.

If your really not happy with the job then you could always consider looking elsewhere for something a bit different. I'm sure there's a lot of other similar shop work going its just a matter of looking. For now I would stick at it because it earns you money but if you really can't stand the job then look for something with similar hours and pay.
funkypish
As far as i'm aware unless you work around dangerous materials that could contaminate water no employer is allowed to withhold water from you. Infact having just looked it up they have to provide you with water:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/water.htm

So show him that and bingo...

They probably are provided with water they just need to get it during breaks rather than drink it around the tills.
Reply 9
omg your not allowed to have a bottle of water thats obscene what will they do if you pass out! i've only had office jobs i think people who stand all day as part of there jobs have lots of stamina i couldnt survive having to stand for several hours with no water in a stuffy room - i would look for another job with better working conditions!
Reply 10
Whilst you cannot take a bottle of water onto the shop-floor you can take a cup of water (your employer legally has to provide drinking water for its staff)

I don't understand the not buying from your store rule, that perplexes me, but you have a job (not a bad one either) so just lump these minor inconveniences.
sax gal
omg your not allowed to have a bottle of water thats obscene what will they do if you pass out! i've only had office jobs i think people who stand all day as part of there jobs have lots of stamina i couldnt survive having to stand for several hours with no water in a stuffy room - i would look for another job with better working conditions!

It seems a little unfair to me but I can see why they wouldn't want you drinking around the tills but I think if you really need water then your manager would have to let you come away from the tills and go get some, especially if you were feeling ill.
EvilSheep
How long are you supposed to stay in that job?? If it's only a little while, eg. summer, I'd stay.. If it's your part time job during term time, then see if you could get another one..

I guess the only problem is it may be difficult finding work at the moment, no where seems to want to employ anyone at the moment. So I'd personally keep it unless something else comes up.
Reply 13
Life is to short to spend so many hours doing something you despite. Quit.
its wilkinsons, do you really think the average customer would care about professionalism regarding drinking from a bottle of water? theyd most likely offer you a half drunk can of stella instead
Reply 15
i hated my job (my only ever job, been there 3 yrs) and after having far too many bad days than good ive quit. ive got two years till i finish uni and find a 'real' job so i see this 2 years as my chance to try different things and gain more experiences.

if yout unhappy you should try and find something eles, good luck :smile:
Reply 16
suicidal_dream

where i work we are allowed drinks on the shop floor and to buy from the shop on our breaks. You say it looks unprofessional but i don't think customers really care tbh unless it's a more upmarket store obviously. you really think someone shopping in wilkinson's cares how professional the cashier looks? I actually find that when customer's see me drinking it becomes a bit of a convo starter, in fact the chain i work for has seen sales improve (could be coincidence). Also, if you don't drink over such long shifts and have to ask hundreds of people (do you want a bag? etc) and greet them all then buy half way through the day you have such a dry throat you end up repeating yourself over and over which wastes a lot of time. In fact if you look at the most successful retailers they are often the ones without these silly rules, it just seems a bit of a trend at the moment in shops to have all these rules, it'll die down.
Reply 17
pretz
In what way does drinking water at a till not look 'professional'?

If I saw someone drinking water at a till in Sainsburys I wouldn't suddenly think to myself... "my gosh!" and then drop all my purchases and storm off towards Tesco.

I would rather deal with someone who is hydrated, well mannered and 'unprofessional' than someone pissed off because they can't get something to drink.

What's wrong with you people?

I agree. i think it's just paranoia at the moment in the business world. consumer confidence is low so they're trying every trick in the book. It is ridiculous, i know it's every retailers fear to lose business but the way they respond to this can often be irrational to say the least. I think most of these guys spent too long reading those inane ''business studies'' books and not enough time in the real world
Those rules do sound rather pathetic. This is where a union rep can help you if you have one (USDAW?). Your employer is obliged to provide comfortable working conditions. If it is too hot and no air con is available then you must be allowed to have a drink at reasonable intervals. Just as if it is too cold and no heating is available you should be allowed a hot drink and warm clothing.

If there is no union presence in your store I would suggest as many cashiers as possible get together and present a reasoned case to your store manager.

I find it most unusual that a company would turn away potential staff sales to competitors. If this is not a company wide policy you could try and speak to a regional manager when your store gets a 'visit' or contact head office. The only reason I could see why a store might do this is if they have a well stocked staff canteen.

And there is a blessed thing called a receipt to prove you purchased an item rather than helped yourself.
OP - come and work at Asda, seeing as you want sooo many perks!? lol :p:
We're allowed drinks, we have air conditioning however the bag situation is no big deal - a lot of supermarkets have now introduced this rule - only giving bags to customers when they ask for it.

End of the day, its only a part time job - like you say it pays you well and its not full time permanent employment.

Latest

Trending

Trending