The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
While this maybe true, most schools, including mine, don't certificate after As level. They reject the grades and wait till the end of A-levels. This therefore gives you the option of not declaring your grades.
joshwaah
While this maybe true, most schools, including mine, don't certificate after As level. They reject the grades and wait till the end of A-levels. This therefore gives you the option of not declaring your grades.

But they stopped that this year!! :woo:
I promise! lol
Reply 22
Oh right...didn't realise that, my bad :P
Reply 23
sphee
Will universities accept this?

Which universities?
joshwaah
Should do provided you dont show your As grades on the UCAS form and your teachers predict you A's.

whats wrong with you? you make out as if him showing BBBB on the ucas form (which btw he has to if they're certificated which they usually are) the unis will reject him.

as-levels are not the be all end all!
Reply 25
I know that. But medicine being as competitive as it is, BBBB is not what the unis are expecting when there will be more than enough candidates with AAAA.
Reply 26
joshwaah
I know that. But medicine being as competitive as it is, BBBB is not what the unis are expecting when there will be more than enough candidates with AAAA.

not all AAAA candidates will be well rounded people with lots of extra curricular stuff etc . they might not make doctors, not saying i would...
Reply 27
Very true, but grades are the deciding factor. If someone cant manage 3 A-levels how do they expect to make it through 6 years at uni?

Plus i think the only reason that there is so much emphasis on extra curricular stuff is because there is no other way for universities to differentiate students because most people applying have got 3A's. If you've got the intellectual capabilities and some level of interpersonal skills i think one could make it as a doctor.
Reply 28
joshwaah
Very true, but grades are the deciding factor. If someone cant manage 3 A-levels how do they expect to make it through 6 years at uni?

Plus i think the only reason that there is so much emphasis on extra curricular stuff is because there is no other way for universities to differentiate students because most people applying have got 3A's. If you've got the intellectual capabilities and some level of interpersonal skills i think one could make it as a doctor.

well im fairly confident i will get 3 A's in the end and i think my level of 'interpersonal skills' is perfectly fine lol it was just whether my rubbish AS grades will put me at a big disadvantage.
Reply 29
I really wouldnt worry about it. As long as your teachers say how close you were and how great u are you should be fine.
Reply 30
sphee
im not sure tbh, i worked very hard. i had to self teach half the biology and chemistry course as our teachers went off sick/maternity leave and the school didnt bother to replace them. music is a complicated issue and maths was an unlucky paper (i got high A's in 2 of them and messed up the 3rd)

Im in the same boat as you :frown: My GCSEs are great for medicine, but I messed up my ASs in a similar way - 2 papers would be great but the third I messed up :frown:
Reply 31
Queen Alice
I promise! lol

Can someone confirm this?
Reply 32
Queen Alice
I promise! lol
What 'they' stopped was having to decline grades in order to resit; it is still the case that some schools certificate - ie cash in - AS grades routinely and others don't. If the ASs have been certificated, module grades must go in the UCAS application, even if you are resitting them.
Reply 33
Guys, please use the big thread at the top of the forum.

Latest

Trending

Trending