The Student Room Group

Hmm, advice please

How should i respond when people ask me what G C S E grades i got.

People always ask however i don't want to tell them. What shall i say without being rude (any responses other than saying, "no, i don't want to tell you?"

Scroll to see replies

**** off. Works everytime
Reply 2
Original post by NathanAtro3
**** off. Works everytime

got an alternative where i don't have to be so blunt/rude. Would love to say it to them (as it is actually what im thinking, but sadly societal etiquette doesn't allow for tht)
Original post by Anonymous
got an alternative where i don't have to be so blunt/rude. Would love to say it to them (as it is actually what im thinking, but sadly societal etiquette doesn't allow for tht)

You gotta be firm with people.
Why don't you want to say "I don't want to tell you" ?
Reply 5
"I keep my grades private"
ignore them or straight up say,"none of your buisness"
Reply 7
its difficult cos they are my "friends"
Instead of saying exactly what you got, just say something along the lines of “they were fine”, “I did okay”, etc. Then you’re answering the question without being rude :smile:
Reply 9
Instead of saying exactly what you got, just say something along the lines of “they were fine”, “I did okay”, etc. Then you’re answering the question without being rude :smile:

ok, its just difficult cos they always ask, what did you get, what grade exactly
ok, its just difficult cos they always ask, what did you get, what grade exactly

Maybe say I'm not really comfortable talking about it or something. If they're your friends they shouldn't get upset if you don't feel comfortable telling them

“I’m not comfortable with sharing that” or “I’d rather not say” is fine. They should respect your boundaries.
Say you've forgotten. I don't even remember what GCSE grades I got. :dontknow:
Just say ‘I’d prefer not to tell people’. If they’re friends, they should respect your decision to keep them private. Or you could say ‘well what did you get?’ They’ll tell you and you simply say ‘same’ :smile: 😂
Original post by kiqbal000
Just say ‘I’d prefer not to tell people’. If they’re friends, they should respect your decision to keep them private. Or you could say ‘well what did you get?’ They’ll tell you and you simply say ‘same’ :smile: 😂

oo, good idea!
I personally wouldn't say 'I keep them private', it's best to say 'I did okay', and if they ask for specific grades, just say you don't quite remember now.:smile:
Original post by KelsieTaylor
I personally wouldn't say 'I keep them private', it's best to say 'I did okay', and if they ask for specific grades, just say you don't quite remember now.:smile:

omg, they r gunna think im nuts or have amnesia as i literally got the results less than a month ago :mmm:
omg, they r gunna think im nuts or have amnesia as i literally got the results less than a month ago :mmm:

oh, well if that's the case, just say you got okay, and that you got a lot of variety in your results, or something like that. Out of curiosity, what results did you actually get? Then it would help in what to say.
Original post by KelsieTaylor
oh, well if that's the case, just say you got okay, and that you got a lot of variety in your results, or something like that. Out of curiosity, what results did you actually get? Then it would help in what to say.

i got 10 9s and 1 8 however i don't like telling people about my grades becos people get malicious and say, oh your bragging. Those were the grades i got in my mocks and those were the grades my teachers submitted
i got 10 9s and 1 8 however i don't like telling people about my grades becos people get malicious and say, oh your bragging. Those were the grades i got in my mocks and those were the grades my teachers submitted

Well done! Just say it in a matter-of-fact way, so with very little emotion, and then it will be fine. After all, you will just be telling them the truth, so they can't accuse of bragging if you just state what you got honestly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending