The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York University

I am looking to apply to thw University of York this year for the social and political sciences courses. Can anyone tell me of they enjoy the course and if it is interesting? Also do they have good lecture halls or are they cramped?
Reply 1
Original post by olivert71
I am looking to apply to thw University of York this year for the social and political sciences courses. Can anyone tell me of they enjoy the course and if it is interesting? Also do they have good lecture halls or are they cramped?

Hey Oliver, hope you're doing well. I'm currently in my second-year studying Social and Political Sciences and it's a fantastic multidisciplinary course to do - teaching is spread across politics, social policy, and sociology departments (also philosophy if you intend to take SPS with Philosophy).

I've definitely enjoyed studying the course so far - there's a great selection of option modules in Years 2 and 3. All Year 1 modules are core modules (contrary to what is incorrectly displayed on the website) which will prepare you as you progress along with the degree. There's a new core module called Contemporary Issues in Social and Political Sciences (SPS00001C) which aims to draw on key concepts/theories and debates in the social sciences to help students to develop understanding and responses to contemporary societal problems and challenges. It will look at topics such as BLM, Grenfell Tower, the climate emergency/climate change, etc. More details here: https://www.york.ac.uk/students/studying/manage/programmes/module-catalogue/module/SPS00001C/2020-21

In normal times, the number of students in lecture theatres varies between modules but from my experience, there's enough space for everyone. Some lecture theatres such as Spring Lane have charging points underneath the desks which comes in handy if you need to charge your laptop and/or your phone.

Hope this helps! Feel free to DM me if you have any further questions about Social and Political Sciences at York. :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Hey Oliver, hope you're doing well. I'm currently in my second-year studying Social and Political Sciences and it's a fantastic multidisciplinary course to do - teaching is spread across politics, social policy, and sociology departments (also philosophy if you intend to take SPS with Philosophy).

I've definitely enjoyed studying the course so far - there's a great selection of option modules in Years 2 and 3. All Year 1 modules are core modules (contrary to what is incorrectly displayed on the website) which will prepare you as you progress along with the degree. There's a new core module called Contemporary Issues in Social and Political Sciences (SPS00001C) which aims to draw on key concepts/theories and debates in the social sciences to help students to develop understanding and responses to contemporary societal problems and challenges. It will look at topics such as BLM, Grenfell Tower, the climate emergency/climate change, etc. More details here: https://www.york.ac.uk/students/studying/manage/programmes/module-catalogue/module/SPS00001C/2020-21

In normal times, the number of students in lecture theatres varies between modules but from my experience, there's enough space for everyone. Some lecture theatres such as Spring Lane have charging points underneath the desks which comes in handy if you need to charge your laptop and/or your phone.

Hope this helps! Feel free to DM me if you have any further questions about Social and Political Sciences at York. :smile:

That is great thank you. That really helps. York is definiely one of my main choices, I just wanted more info. Thank you for that
Reply 3
Original post by olivert71
That is great thank you. That really helps. York is definiely one of my main choices, I just wanted more info. Thank you for that

No worries! 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest