The Student Room Group

Sciences Po | Admissions 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snicoleb1997
I have a Political Science background with more than 2 years of work experience in the DFA plus several NGO involvements :smile: we're probably batchmates! Goodluck to us :smile:

Nice! Good luck to us! Are you planning to apply for PhilFrance Scholarship? 😁
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by boredinthehouse
Hi, I haven't applied yet but could you tell me what the 'admissable' email is?

Hey! Basically, they just email to let you know that your application has the minimum requirements for admission (documents, average, etc) and that it will proceed to the selection committee.
Original post by lilacandberries
Hey! Basically, they just email to let you know that your application has the minimum requirements for admission (documents, average, etc) and that it will proceed to the selection committee.

Thank you!
Reply 63
Hello all!
Congrats on the on the admissibility, it’s meant to be the first “filter” so that’s great news!
The next step is probably the hardest when it comes to actually getting in, that’s when they take a closer look at our grades, recommendations, motivation letter etc. from what I understand.

I have a couple of questions and I’m hoping some of you can help :

- I am looking to get into the ngo/development sector, more specifically within communications, which is my previous background. I am currently doing a communications internship with Doctors Without Borders here in Paris and it’s been great. Despite my clear interest in working in communications, it has always been paired with the intention of doing so in ngos/development and humanitarian sector, which is why I have now been advised to possibly apply to the humanitarian action masters. My question is, does anyone know where I could find the admissibility rates for specific masters? I really want to stay in Paris and SciencesPo has always been the end goal, so I’m a bit confused as to what to do now. My two current options would be the communications master and the humanitarian action master, but they are extremely different (obviously so I guess).

- on another note, knowing that my end goal is to work within communications departments, which master do you guys think is more appropriate? The communications one is definitely more “professionalising” in the sense that it gives students real life skills and it opens more doors, but the humanitarian action one could be better considering my professional ambitions.

I would like to apply for the next deadline (December 6th) but I’m still figuring stuff out so maybe the January deadline is more realistic ?

Also, I graduated in a UK university two years ago with an average of 66.8%, I know the minimum requirement is 65% so in theory I should be ok, but since SciencesPo is so incredibly selective, would that not be enough?

Basically just trying to work out my chances here 😅

Thank you and good luck to us all!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by mediacj
Hello all!
Congrats on the on the admissibility, it’s meant to be the first “filter” so that’s great news!
The next step is probably the hardest when it comes to actually getting in, that’s when they take a closer look at our grades, recommendations, motivation letter etc. from what I understand.

- I am looking to get into the ngo/development sector, more specifically within communications, which is my previous background. I am currently doing a communications internship with Doctors Without Borders here in Paris and it’s been great. Despite my clear interest in working in communications, it has always been paired with the intention of doing so in ngos/development and humanitarian sector, which is why I have now been advised to possibly apply to the humanitarian action masters. My question is, does anyone know where I could find the admissibility rates for specific masters? I really want to stay in Paris and SciencesPo has always been the end goal, so I’m a bit confused as to what to do now. My two current options would be the communications master and the humanitarian action master, but they are extremely different (obviously so I guess).

- on another note, knowing that my end goal is to work within communications departments, which master do you guys think is more appropriate? The communications one is definitely more “professionalising” in the sense that it gives students real life skills and it opens more doors, but the humanitarian action one could be better considering my professional ambitions.

I would like to apply for the next deadline (December 6th) but I’m still figuring stuff out so maybe the January deadline is more realistic ?

Also, I graduated in a UK university two years ago with an average of 66.8%, I know the minimum requirement is 65% so in theory I should be ok, but since SciencesPo is so incredibly selective, would that not be enough?

wish i could help you with your questions. afaik you can apply to both, not sure though,

i don’t think your background 100% determines your chances for being accepted or not, ofc it’s “preferable” to have a background similar to your area of study.

anyways, if i were you i’d apply to both of possible. 🙌
Original post by booyah2728
Nice! Good luck to us! Are you planning to apply for PhilFrance Scholarship? 😁

Yep! a scholarship is definitely needed :biggrin: I'm guessing it will open in January like before?
Original post by mediacj
Hello all!

Hey! I'll give you my honest thoughts and hopefully it'll help you somewhat.

I don't think Sciences Po releases information regarding admissions rates for specific masters, I've never come across any data of the sort. I think the only number that I remember seeing is the overall application and admission rate, although I'm not sure if it was just for a specific campus (I've applied to PSIA, so it might've been).

Regarding your aspirations, I personally would apply to the Master in Humanitarian Action. Based on what you wrote, you already have a background in communications (maybe an undergrad related to the field?), and of course professional experience in communications with your internship in Doctors without Borders. In applying to a master's degree, I think you should favor more specific training pertaining to your intended professional field, and in my opinion, the Master in Humanitarian Action would fit better with your objective. Also, I've taken a look at the curriculum for the communications master in the School of Management and Innovation, and I think the programs in PSIA are more flexible with your study project, as you can choose a specific thematic concentration that would help you professionaly in the future.

I wouldn't worry too much about your average since you're above the minimum requirement, but I would write a very strong personal statement with solid motivations, just to make sure! Good luck and I hope you're successful :biggrin:
Original post by snicoleb1997
Yep! a scholarship is definitely needed :biggrin: I'm guessing it will open in January like before?

I was wondering what are my chances of getting an Eiffel Scholarship. I messaged Campus France Manille and they said that there are no Filipino awardees for this year. So I just hope that we still have a chance. :frown:
Reply 68
Original post by mediacj
Hello all!

Hello!

Based on what I have read, all of the masters at Sciences Po have a heavy professional focus in terms of teaching "real life skills." I would recommend you take a close look at the courses and syllabi for both programs. The Master in HRHA has a heavy professional focus on skills such as humanitarian project management, M&E, negotiation, etc. If you are definitely interested in a career in communications, it seems that the Master in Communications would be the obvious choice, since you would presumably gain skills more closely linked to your professional goals (though I haven't looked closely at the courses offered).

As someone else said, there is really no data regarding selectivity of specific programs. Therefore, it's best to apply to the program that you think is the best fit, since the jury will look at how closely your professional goals align with the program you are applying to.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your application.
Reply 69
Hello!

I got three different answers and they were all very useful, thank you so much! I have decided to apply to the Human Rights and Humanitarian action master after a careful read through of the subjects in each subject. Like someone pointed out, it allows for a more personalised path and would still allow me to work in comms.
Now I just have to get in 😅

Thanks again to you all!
Hi all!
Been lurking in this conversation for a while now - thought it would be worth finally crossing the threshold!
Soooo I'm in the process of applying for the PSIA Master in Human Rights and Humanitarian Action and should be able to send that application off in the next couple of days. I decided on the course because I structure looked interesting (very applicable, I think, to work in the NGO/IGO world) and because I'd be super interested in a career in human rights monitoring and reporting (I think). I get the sense that it would essentially rule out further/doctoral study but there's the option for a thesis so :dontknow:
I was wondering if anyone had any further insights on this course that they've not already shared, or indeed the wider university (I've heard very mixed things - some of which admittedly from rather snobbish professors at my undergraduate university whose word I don't trust very much)? Even after having gone through like 90% of the applications process I feel pretty much none the wiser on whether it's for me/whether I'm being overly ambitious here.

Second thought was on funding. My family and I are, unfortunately, UK citizens living in the UK so I'm guessing(?) no sliding scale for fees. But I got the impression from the website that at least it should be possible to apply for the Boutmy Scholarship - goodness knows if I'd get it - as the UK is no longer in the EU. However, on the 'Financial Information' section of the application form I'm given the yes/no question 'Do you plan to finance your studies with the help of a scholarship?' and no follow-up forms (for example, about applying to the Boutmy Scholarship) whatsoever. So is there even the slightest fraction of a glimmer of a possibility that I would receive any sort of financial support or are UK students essentially out to dry? Money's certainly a barrier.

Any insights on either of these things would be so enormously appreciated. Thank you all!!
Original post by edrhysjones
Hi all!
Been lurking in this conversation for a while now - thought it would be worth finally crossing the threshold!
Soooo I'm in the process of applying for the PSIA Master in Human Rights and Humanitarian Action and should be able to send that application off in the next couple of days. I decided on the course because I structure looked interesting (very applicable, I think, to work in the NGO/IGO world) and because I'd be super interested in a career in human rights monitoring and reporting (I think). I get the sense that it would essentially rule out further/doctoral study but there's the option for a thesis so :dontknow:
I was wondering if anyone had any further insights on this course that they've not already shared, or indeed the wider university (I've heard very mixed things - some of which admittedly from rather snobbish professors at my undergraduate university whose word I don't trust very much)? Even after having gone through like 90% of the applications process I feel pretty much none the wiser on whether it's for me/whether I'm being overly ambitious here.

Second thought was on funding. My family and I are, unfortunately, UK citizens living in the UK so I'm guessing(?) no sliding scale for fees. But I got the impression from the website that at least it should be possible to apply for the Boutmy Scholarship - goodness knows if I'd get it - as the UK is no longer in the EU. However, on the 'Financial Information' section of the application form I'm given the yes/no question 'Do you plan to finance your studies with the help of a scholarship?' and no follow-up forms (for example, about applying to the Boutmy Scholarship) whatsoever. So is there even the slightest fraction of a glimmer of a possibility that I would receive any sort of financial support or are UK students essentially out to dry? Money's certainly a barrier.

Any insights on either of these things would be so enormously appreciated. Thank you all!!

Heya:smile: I just wanted to reply to you real quick cause this is currently ongoing: if you didn’t know, they are having a virtual open house day today on zoom. Maybe some of your questions could be answered there. It started like half an hour ago so still plenty of time! There’s a W&A session for the HRHA master at 12 (and 2 and 4) that you could check out and I believe they also have something regarding funding later.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 72
Hi all!

Hey! I am also, unfortunately, a UK citizen too ahaha and money is the main barrier for me as well. I've applied for International Security so I'm afraid I don't have much insight on the HRHA course.

I believe that the Boutmy scholarship is for non-EU international students, so that's ruled us out. When I filled out the 'Financial Information' section of the application form, I ticked yes for planning to fund my studies with a scholarship and was able to apply for the Eiffel Scholarship, however this was due on Nov 1st so that's why it's not showing up on the financial info section now. I emailed Sciences Po a few months ago about what other financial aid there was for British students and this is what they said:

"As a British national and for your first year of studies in France, you will be eligible to apply for the Sciences Po Europe scholarship. After one year of study you will have an INE. Then British national students are able to apply for a Crous bursary for 2020-2021. Thus, you will benefit from a full tuition fee waiver, cost of living bursary awarded by the Crous and an additional cost of living bursary (complément) awarded by Sciences Po. I am unfortunately unable to comment further at this stage as the next steps after December 2020 will depend on the outcome of the Brexit negotiations."
Original post by mgm24
Hey! I am also, unfortunately, a UK citizen too ahaha and money is the main barrier for me as well. I've applied for International Security so I'm afraid I don't have much insight on the HRHA course.

I believe that the Boutmy scholarship is for non-EU international students, so that's ruled us out. When I filled out the 'Financial Information' section of the application form, I ticked yes for planning to fund my studies with a scholarship and was able to apply for the Eiffel Scholarship, however this was due on Nov 1st so that's why it's not showing up on the financial info section now. I emailed Sciences Po a few months ago about what other financial aid there was for British students and this is what they said:

"As a British national and for your first year of studies in France, you will be eligible to apply for the Sciences Po Europe scholarship. After one year of study you will have an INE. Then British national students are able to apply for a Crous bursary for 2020-2021. Thus, you will benefit from a full tuition fee waiver, cost of living bursary awarded by the Crous and an additional cost of living bursary (complément) awarded by Sciences Po. I am unfortunately unable to comment further at this stage as the next steps after December 2020 will depend on the outcome of the Brexit negotiations."

Thank you so much for this - I had assumed that because of the whole... leaving the EU thing we'd be excluded from the Europe bursary so that's something I guess. I was aware the Eiffel deadline had passed (someone told me that very few, if any, UK students end up receiving them anyway but I wouldn't take that as a reliable source) so that's that ruled out. Ah well.

Oh! And also I should say thanks for this:
Original post by lexie7437
Heya:smile: I just wanted to reply to you real quick cause this is currently ongoing: if you didn’t know, they are having a virtual open house day today on zoom. Maybe some of your questions could be answered there. It started like half an hour ago so still plenty of time! There’s a W&A session for the HRHA master at 12 (and 2 and 4) that you could check out and I believe they also have something regarding funding later.

... which was super useful for the more practical things on the side of the course. Much appreciated.
Hi all!

Hey, there! I'm glad other people were able to give you helpful answers :biggrin:

I just wanted to share some thoughts on your comment that a master in Sciences Po would rule out further/doctoral study. I've discussed this before with my undergrad thesis supervisor and he suggested, as I do intend to get a PhD eventually, that I chose the thesis option in the 3rd semester since it would it would be a significant research credential in a future application to a doctoral program. There seems to be a selection process and specific requirements for the thesis option in Sciences Po, which you need to be aware of since semester 1 if you actually intend to pursue it. I would suggest that you look carefully at the list of subjects (specifically in the regional/thematic concentrations) and Sciences Po faculty to see if it fits with what you want to further study/research. Oh, and there's a page at the PSIA website with "outstanding Master theses" from all programs, which you could take a look at!

Wishing you good luck with your application! :smile:
Reply 75
Hi guys!! Anyone applied to the European Affairs masters?? I just submitted my application; my heart is beating soooo fast. I also applied to the dual degree. The admissibility emails take 3 weeks to arrive, right?? How long does it take to receive the admission??
Reply 76
Did anyone who applied before November 1 receive a decision yet? I was hoping they would come by today based on last year's timeline, but hopefully they'll come next week :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by lc2zv
Did anyone who applied before November 1 receive a decision yet? I was hoping they would come by today based on last year's timeline, but hopefully they'll come next week :smile:

No, I was hoping the same 😭 I guess with covid they may not be as fast as last year..
Hi guys, I applied before the 1st of November deadline tto the masters in int security at PSIA, waiting is killing me.Looking forward to receiving the admission email hopefully next week!If we get admitted I'm going to create a Facebook group for all of us to communicate! Best of luck to all of you. Ali S.
Reply 79
same boat here. anyways, let’s hope next week we find out our destiny 😂

gl to everyone 🤞

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending