The Student Room Group

Think Ahead programme 2021

Hi anyone applying for the Think Ahead programme 2021 and anyone gone through yet since applications were opened. Many thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey i applied it a week ago but failed the SJT, have you done the SJT? But i tried to reapply and they let me do the test again.
Original post by saistie
Hey i applied it a week ago but failed the SJT, have you done the SJT? But i tried to reapply and they let me do the test again.

They let you do the test again? I didn’t think that was an option. I have just done the test and not feeling very confident, they said they would let me know my result within 2 weeks.
Reply 3
Original post by BlessedMarion
Hi anyone applying for the Think Ahead programme 2021 and anyone gone through yet since applications were opened. Many thanks

Yes I’m currently through to the application part with the 100 word answers and videos etc, what about you ?
Hello,Yes, I’ve passed the SJT and onto the application. I’m going to try and get it done over the weekend.Really nervous as I really want to get on but it’s so competitive!
Reply 5
Hello 😊, I submitted my application on the 13th, so painful waiting for a result!! There is a lot less places this year, probably from a lot of 2020 applications deferring to this cohort. Just praying that I get through to the assessment.
Hi, I have an assessment next week on the 28th. I applied last March during lockdown. There are 5 different assessments. Interview, presentation, group exercise, role play and working with a service user. They send you stuff to prepare a week before. It looks full on as you are on-line for 4/5hrs. I'm just going to think of it as a training day and try to relax and enjoy jt🤔😀
Original post by Eric and Ernie
Hi, I have an assessment next week on the 28th. I applied last March during lockdown. There are 5 different assessments. Interview, presentation, group exercise, role play and working with a service user. They send you stuff to prepare a week before. It looks full on as you are on-line for 4/5hrs. I'm just going to think of it as a training day and try to relax and enjoy jt🤔😀

Congratulations on making it through!! Seriously well done!

Which ones are group exercises? And what's the presentation about? I'm just finishing up my application and want to send it off on Friday. I've got one video still to do (the adaptability question). How long was it before you heard back?
Original post by shanfara
Congratulations on making it through!! Seriously well done!

Which ones are group exercises? And what's the presentation about? I'm just finishing up my application and want to send it off on Friday. I've got one video still to do (the adaptability question). How long was it before you heard back?

I think I heard back exactly three weeks after I submitted everything. I was then informed that I could postpone interview until following year due to Covid. They send you reading material to look at to create a presentation as and a case study to read through that you discuss as a group online. You also get a pre interview meeting online which I have on Friday which they tell you more details of how the day will unfold and a chance to make sure all the technical side is working.
I think I heard back exactly three weeks after I submitted everything. I was then informed that I could postpone interview until following year due to Covid. They send you reading material to look at to create a presentation as and a case study to read through that you discuss as a group online. You also get a pre interview meeting online which I have on Friday which they tell you more details of how the day will unfold and a chance to make sure all the technical side is working.

Thanks for this info! And good luck with your assessment day!
Reply 10
Hey, i had my assessment day (28th) today also so would have seen you online. I hope it went okay for you? Good luck 🤞🏽
Hi, how do you feel it went for you? I knew it would be an intense day and feeling pretty exhausted after all the build up.
I submitted my application last Friday, so just waiting to hear back.

How did the assessment centre go? Was it all online, and did they give you any breaks from the screen? What questions were you asked in the interview?
Reply 13
Hi, how do you feel it went for you? I knew it would be an intense day and feeling pretty exhausted after all the build up.

Yeah im very tired too! It was fair, some parts definitely went better than others. I found the role play quite challenging, I’m not sure if we all had the same one? I assume so.... but, it felt a little clunky. How about you?
Reply 14
Original post by shanfara
I submitted my application last Friday, so just waiting to hear back.

How did the assessment centre go? Was it all online, and did they give you any breaks from the screen? What questions were you asked in the interview?

Yep all online completely, it was organised really well and pretty seamless in terms of the going into different links for different parts of the day. Lots of little breaks in between parts then, about 45 mins for a lunch. The interview was a very normal standard interview, with the type of questions you’d expect re social work. Good luck with your application 🙂
Original post by Kaedell
Yeah im very tired too! It was fair, some parts definitely went better than others. I found the role play quite challenging, I’m not sure if we all had the same one? I assume so.... but, it felt a little clunky. How about you?

Role play was challenging although I enjoyed it the most. I found the group discussion quite difficult on zoom. Also the service user interview I found quite nerve racking and there were interruptions from the Internet cutting out on the other participant. In all I don't think I came across very well and doubt I've got a place. Really good experience and will keep my fingers. Good Luck to you.
Reply 16
Role play was challenging although I enjoyed it the most. I found the group discussion quite difficult on zoom. Also the service user interview I found quite nerve racking and there were interruptions from the Internet cutting out on the other participant. In all I don't think I came across very well and doubt I've got a place. Really good experience and will keep my fingers. Good Luck to you.

Yeah it was definitely a good experience. I imagine you came across better than you think, we’re are own worst critics! Good luck to you also. Fingers crossed 🤞🏽
Original post by Kaedell
Yep all online completely, it was organised really well and pretty seamless in terms of the going into different links for different parts of the day. Lots of little breaks in between parts then, about 45 mins for a lunch. The interview was a very normal standard interview, with the type of questions you’d expect re social work. Good luck with your application 🙂

What are normal standard interview questions relating to social work (apart from "why do you want to be a social worker?")?
Hi, to respond to you regarding types of questions. There are a lot. The day is split into a group discussion, where you all get the same opportunity to respond to a case study that you get emailed a week before. I had written notes however didn't get a chance to use them on the day. This was followed by a role play, 7 minutes to read through situation and then 20 minutes doing it while observed and assessed. This is followed by a twenty minute separate zoom link where they ask questions relating to the role play and obviously involving reflection. There is a 45 minute interview, where they ask you ten questions. Can't really recall exact questions. Ask for you to give examples of skills you have used within working situations etc. It's really not anything you can prepare for other than being yourself and bringing your own experience to the table. During the 45 minutes they will ask you to do a 3 minute presentation based on the 600 word summary question that they set you the week before. You then submit this 600 words at the end of the day. There was a 30 minute lunch break that was then followed by a session with an experienced service user that asked a series of ten questions that related to your work experiences and understanding of what social work means to you. I hope this helps. I found it a very stressful day, I've never done anything quite like it before and felt it didn't go well. I got a call first thing this morning to offer me a place😊 In reflection, I know its a cliche, I would say it's so important to be yourself.
Reply 19
Hi, to respond to you regarding types of questions. There are a lot. The day is split into a group discussion, where you all get the same opportunity to respond to a case study that you get emailed a week before. I had written notes however didn't get a chance to use them on the day. This was followed by a role play, 7 minutes to read through situation and then 20 minutes doing it while observed and assessed. This is followed by a twenty minute separate zoom link where they ask questions relating to the role play and obviously involving reflection. There is a 45 minute interview, where they ask you ten questions. Can't really recall exact questions. Ask for you to give examples of skills you have used within working situations etc. It's really not anything you can prepare for other than being yourself and bringing your own experience to the table. During the 45 minutes they will ask you to do a 3 minute presentation based on the 600 word summary question that they set you the week before. You then submit this 600 words at the end of the day. There was a 30 minute lunch break that was then followed by a session with an experienced service user that asked a series of ten questions that related to your work experiences and understanding of what social work means to you. I hope this helps. I found it a very stressful day, I've never done anything quite like it before and felt it didn't go well. I got a call first thing this morning to offer me a place😊 In reflection, I know its a cliche, I would say it's so important to be yourself.

Hey, I got a place as well! Congrats to you. What area are you looking for? I’m in East Sussex 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending