The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine fee loans

hey, so I'm an international student who wants to pursue vet med in 2021/2022, but the tuition fee is way above what I can afford. Do you think taking a loan to pay off the international fees is worth it and are there any vet med students who have done it? Because I'm not sure if its worth the amount of money that I would have to pay back after graduating.

Scroll to see replies

I would think the first question would be around whether you can actually get a loan for that sort of money. UK students have the ability to borrow from the UK government for the fees and maintenance (living costs) but that won't be an option for international (I would have thought).
Vets are not as well paid as their customers imagine sometimes.
Original post by ReadingMum
I would think the first question would be around whether you can actually get a loan for that sort of money. UK students have the ability to borrow from the UK government for the fees and maintenance (living costs) but that won't be an option for international (I would have thought).
Vets are not as well paid as their customers imagine sometimes.

I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with the loan system in the UK.
Yeah I know about the salary range which is unfortunate but I'm really eager to study vet med and although I will be applying for veterinary nursing, I truly believe that Veterinary medicine is the way to go :/
Original post by priyankaaaas
I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with the loan system in the UK.
Yeah I know about the salary range which is unfortunate but I'm really eager to study vet med and although I will be applying for veterinary nursing, I truly believe that Veterinary medicine is the way to go :/

If you are truly an international student then you would need to be looking at what sort of loans your home country can offer. The UK government loan is likely to not be of any use to you.
Check here for the basics just in case you qualify under one of the exception clauses:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/student-finance/nationality-and-residency
Original post by ReadingMum
If you are truly an international student then you would need to be looking at what sort of loans your home country can offer. The UK government loan is likely to not be of any use to you.
Check here for the basics just in case you qualify under one of the exception clauses:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/student-finance/nationality-and-residency

yes I am an international student and i dont qualify under any of the categories in the link you sent :frown:
but i will check up on my home country loans but i dont think it would be possible. but i really do appreciate the help :smile:
There are alternate countries to study veterinary medicine in. Look at some of the European schools - Ghent and Kosice amongst others
They have far cheaper fees and living costs than studying in the UK

What you ultimately need to consider is where you wish to work. If it is within the UK you must go to an RCVS/EAVE accredited school - if it is for elsewhere you must check that where you study will make you qualified in your home/other country. If not check to see if there is an accreditation exam you must sit to qualify - and how difficult/expensive that is. If you're willing to put the work in I am sure there is a veterinary option out there that will work for you but you must do the research for your own individual circumstances.
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
There are alternate countries to study veterinary medicine in. Look at some of the European schools - Ghent and Kosice amongst others
They have far cheaper fees and living costs than studying in the UK

What you ultimately need to consider is where you wish to work. If it is within the UK you must go to an RCVS/EAVE accredited school - if it is for elsewhere you must check that where you study will make you qualified in your home/other country. If not check to see if there is an accreditation exam you must sit to qualify - and how difficult/expensive that is. If you're willing to put the work in I am sure there is a veterinary option out there that will work for you but you must do the research for your own individual circumstances.

I am applying to budapest and kosice (ghent does not have an english language program) but kosice was recognized in my home country till 2005 and in the place where I reside, I need a minimum of 5 years of experience to be eligible to get licensed as a vet. I did look at the accreditation exam but I realised that I would have to wait for a whole year to be able to write the RCVS, AVMA etc exams as they take place in April/May.
I'm not sure if I can work in the EU though as I am an international student but do correct me if I am wrong as I'm not sure if the EU allows international citizens to work as a veterinarian in their country.
I am applying to budapest and kosice (ghent does not have an english language program) but kosice was recognized in my home country till 2005 and in the place where I reside, I need a minimum of 5 years of experience to be eligible to get licensed as a vet. I did look at the accreditation exam but I realised that I would have to wait for a whole year to be able to write the RCVS, AVMA etc exams as they take place in April/May.
I'm not sure if I can work in the EU though as I am an international student but do correct me if I am wrong as I'm not sure if the EU allows international citizens to work as a veterinarian in their country.

You would have to likely apply for permits to work in EU countries - but considering that vet is very much a highly skilled career it would be unlikely this application would be rejected.
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
You would have to likely apply for permits to work in EU countries - but considering that vet is very much a highly skilled career it would be unlikely this application would be rejected.

hm, thats true.
Unfortunately, it sounds a bit risky as I dont know anyone who has done the same and if it were to be rejected, I dont know if I would be eligible to work in any other place :frown: Are the EU degrees valid anywhere else?

I recommend staying away from Budapest Veterinary program. They appear okay until you are there in person dealing with their dysfunctional school system from the program itself to the greed for money the school is built on... I have not heard of a veterinary student getting through the school in the timeframe they advertise due to the way they set you up for failure. Some posts on this website have different peoples views on the school and I recommend giving them a read.
Original post by hobbit hound
I recommend staying away from Budapest Veterinary program. They appear okay until you are there in person dealing with their dysfunctional school system from the program itself to the greed for money the school is built on... I have not heard of a veterinary student getting through the school in the timeframe they advertise due to the way they set you up for failure. Some posts on this website have different peoples views on the school and I recommend giving them a read.

hello.
yeah I've heard the same. Infact i talked to a few people from budapest or who were considering budapest and they either transferred or went to different unis. quite unfortunate to be honest. a lot of people from the country of my residence tend to go to budapest tho which is quite shocking considering the horrible reviews the university has.
Regarding the pov of budapest students, where can i find it?
hello.
yeah I've heard the same. Infact i talked to a few people from budapest or who were considering budapest and they either transferred or went to different unis. quite unfortunate to be honest. a lot of people from the country of my residence tend to go to budapest tho which is quite shocking considering the horrible reviews the university has.
Regarding the pov of budapest students, where can i find it?

I hope this link will work but if not you can do a search in the form for "Budapest". https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?filter%5Bforumid%5D=%28196+OR+1552%29&sortby=date+desc&s=&securitytoken=1604297057-e27adc3c558721596cd3f8bcd5df6ffbafb9bf62&f=196&query=budapest
I'll Have to look through some of them and try sharing a few later on.
I hope this link will work but if not you can do a search in the form for "Budapest". https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?filter%5Bforumid%5D=%28196+OR+1552%29&sortby=date+desc&s=&securitytoken=1604297057-e27adc3c558721596cd3f8bcd5df6ffbafb9bf62&f=196&query=budapest
I'll Have to look through some of them and try sharing a few later on.

thank youuu. do you recommend any other vet unis in the EU besides kosice?
thank youuu. do you recommend any other vet unis in the EU besides kosice?

With price being a major factor I would say schools found in Eastern Europe will be cheaper than those in Western Europe. I think Poland has 2 decent veterinary schools with 5 year courses and cheaper than Budapest. Romania has one but haven't heard too much into their school. The program in Kosice Slovakia appears relativly decent and at an acceptable price especially when it is in comparison to Budapest. Overall it is hard to find any program worse than Budapest as they just want the money and don't seem to care too much for the students (heard soooo many complaints and lots of students transfer out due to the set of the program).
With price being a major factor I would say schools found in Eastern Europe will be cheaper than those in Western Europe. I think Poland has 2 decent veterinary schools with 5 year courses and cheaper than Budapest. Romania has one but haven't heard too much into their school. The program in Kosice Slovakia appears relativly decent and at an acceptable price especially when it is in comparison to Budapest. Overall it is hard to find any program worse than Budapest as they just want the money and don't seem to care too much for the students (heard soooo many complaints and lots of students transfer out due to the set of the program).

Western europe vet programs are in the countrys native language which makes it difficult for me to apply so i can only apply to eastern/central european vet programs. i was going to apply to poland but given the current situation, i dont intend on applying there. so my only option is kosice :/
Western europe vet programs are in the countrys native language which makes it difficult for me to apply so i can only apply to eastern/central european vet programs. i was going to apply to poland but given the current situation, i dont intend on applying there. so my only option is kosice :/

I think there might be a few countries in Western Europe with programs in English however there probably are not too many. Yeah, Poland's situation recently isn't the best, not sure how their program is affected with everything. Kosice program is pretty decent and their Foreign office staff are pretty good with helping the students overall.
I think there might be a few countries in Western Europe with programs in English however there probably are not too many. Yeah, Poland's situation recently isn't the best, not sure how their program is affected with everything. Kosice program is pretty decent and their Foreign office staff are pretty good with helping the students overall.

theres a few but barely any with enough information for me to trust and apply to. I've applied to kosice and all though they seem helpful, they take superrrr long to reply and don't respond to specific questions that cant be answered by their 'ready-made' answers unless you email them 3-4 times asking the same thing.
theres a few but barely any with enough information for me to trust and apply to. I've applied to kosice and all though they seem helpful, they take superrrr long to reply and don't respond to specific questions that cant be answered by their 'ready-made' answers unless you email them 3-4 times asking the same thing.

That might be due to the pandemic as they are getting emails from all of the foreign students in their programs from what I can tell. Are there any specific questions you are trying to get answers to which another student might be able to help with?
That might be due to the pandemic as they are getting emails from all of the foreign students in their programs from what I can tell. Are there any specific questions you are trying to get answers to which another student might be able to help with?

thats true.
In terms of specific questions, not right now cause kosices already answered them for me which is great.
But I would love to talk to an international student who studied there who is not from the UK/EU.
thats true.
In terms of specific questions, not right now cause kosices already answered them for me which is great.
But I would love to talk to an international student who studied there who is not from the UK/EU.

Happy to hear they did end up answering your questions.
May I ask where you are from? It would allow specific students to address themselves as there are students from all over going to the school (America, Israel, etc).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending